Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby Trace » 14 May 2016 18:55

Oh dear! Well I Can honestly say the food was lovely too last May, I can't remember any negatives .... Apart from the weather.. ( as Sue rightly says, can't blame the ship or P&O...)

I did prefer Ventura to be honest, mainly because we loved The East restaurant and the Beach House at night... And I like bigger ships :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2016 19:37

This is the conclusion to Jill's review of her Oceana cruise taken in January 2015.

CONCLUSION

As always, we had a great time. As I said, it was difficult to not compare with Aurora so I will say that we didn't think that the crew on Oceana measured up to Aurora, nor the food in the MDRs. The entertainment was also lacking in comparison but overall the cruise was great value for money and it was a welcome break away from the bleak mid winter of the UK.

Seems like the foundations for a less than satisfactory cruise were in place 17 months ago.

That review can be read here.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2016 19:56

I said in an earlier post on this thread that I had no idea what the sea organ in Zadar is. Well apparently (and maybe obvious to some) it is something to be heard and not seen. Easiest to explain what it is by watching this YouTube video.

Wikipedia's description

The Sea organ (Croatian: Morske orgulje) is an architectural object located in Zadar, Croatia and an experimental musical instrument, which plays music by way of sea waves and tubes located underneath a set of large marble steps.

History

Chaotic reconstruction work was undertaken in an attempt to repair the devastation Zadar suffered in the Second World War. The frantic reconstruction turned much of the sea front into an unbroken, monotonous concrete wall.

The device was made by the architect Nikola Bašić as part of the project to redesign the new city coast (Nova riva), and the site was opened to the public on 15 April 2005.[1]The waves interact with the organ in order to create somewhat random but harmonic sounds.

The Sea Organ has drawn tourists and locals alike. In addition, white marble steps leading down to the water were built later. Concealed under these steps, which both protect and invite, is a system of polyethylene tubes and a resonating cavity that turns the site into a large musical instrument, played by the chance-based results of the wind and the sea waves.

In 2006, the Sea Organ was awarded with the prize ex-aequo of the fourth edition of the European Prize for Urban Public Space.[2]

An opinion of a longtime Zadar resident, now just a frequent visitor to the city: The organ's sound is burdened with cultural design, so to speak. The sound that the sea waves themselves produce, hitting the coast or a beach, is what could have been amplified through organ's impressive engineering. That very sound, sometimes compared to "white noise", is one of foremost aural experiences on the sea coast. It gives birth to idea and clears the mind, if one is sensitized towards knowing how to listen

Apparently, there is something similar in Blackpool - The Blackpool High Tide Organ.
Last edited by tomvet on 14 May 2016 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2016 20:04

Further updates from Jill.

Oceana is enroute to Villefranche but it was too windy to sit out on deck today.

Staff and food still remain under par. Jill gives her account of her experience of having tea on board:

Went to tea today, but the food was poor and they [the staff] couldn't wait to get rid of us

I can't help but think they may not be getting their money's worth on this cruise even if it was a bargain.

The reviews of others .... er well an other may be interesting ........!!! ;) ;)
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Trace » 14 May 2016 20:08

tomvet wrote:Further updates from Jill.

Oceana is enroute to Villefranche but it was too windy to sit out on deck today.

Staff and food still remain under par. Jill gives her account of her experience of having tea on board:

Went to tea today, but the food was poor and they [the staff] couldn't wait to get rid of us

I can't help but think they may not be getting their money's worth on this cruise even if it was a bargain.

The reviews of others .... er well an other may be interesting ........!!! ;) ;)

Is that person on board too....? :o
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2016 20:24

Trace wrote:
tomvet wrote:Further updates from Jill.

Is that person on board too....? :o

My intelligence is on the case ............. :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 15 May 2016 01:01

Update: 'that person' is not on this cruise but is due to embark Oceana sometime soon!
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Mungo » 15 May 2016 06:37

I have always said FO's crews are the best! :D Other lines struggle to meet the high expectation of service we expect after sailing on a FO ship.
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Jeffo » 15 May 2016 08:50

Mungo wrote:I have always said FO's crews are the best! :D Other lines struggle to meet the high expectation of service we expect after sailing on a FO ship.

Couldn't agree more - we weren't impressed with our cruise on Adonia, and it put us off P&O. Saga provide a high level of service too.
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (4), Braemar (9), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1) Astoria (1)
Jeffo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 15 May 2016 12:16

I wasn't going to say anything about P&O staff because our one and only cruise with P&O was back in 2010 - which is a long time for things to have changed. But since others are commenting... ;)

That cruise on Ventura was the only one we've done where we were unhappy with the staff. We found many of them to be sullen or indifferent. It was such a contrast to our previous experiences with Fred Olsen, and we've not had anything but excellent service on all the other lines we've tried since.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Digital postcards