Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 May 2016 13:04

If P&O Staff are spoiling the cruise experience for quite a few people, the problem should be addressed, and soon!
Image
User avatar
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 15320
Joined: 03 Mar 2011 16:07
Location: Costa Almeria, Spain
National Flag:
Spain

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby octocruiser » 15 May 2016 15:31

One does wonder what proportion of the cabins were sold at reduced prices and whether this might mean tne quality of tne food is scaled down.? Shouldn't affect tne staff - unless their grats get scaled down as well :?

On one occasion I got tne impression on a cruise that was undersold that the standard fell a bit short , especially on the entertainment.

I don't know if this really does happen - if it does it's hard luck on those who booked early.
User avatar
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4447
Joined: 05 May 2013 10:56
Location: Gloucestershire
National Flag:
England

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby tomvet » 15 May 2016 16:23

octocruiser wrote:One does wonder what proportion of the cabins were sold at reduced prices and whether this might mean tne quality of tne food is scaled down.? Shouldn't affect tne staff - unless their grats get scaled down as well :?

On one occasion I got tne impression on a cruise that was undersold that the standard fell a bit short , especially on the entertainment.

I don't know if this really does happen - if it does it's hard luck on those who booked early.


I dont understand this cost cutting lark fully. Costa have removed ice cream from the MDR menus and this has seriously hampered the enjoyment of my cruise. Yet I am supposed to be beside myself with excitement on delivery of my Costa Club coral lapel pin and a photo album that holds 2" x 3" photographs - neither I really want and having got them I have no idea where they are now or care less for that matter! I am sure they didn't cost a whole lot but where the big cost is in the personnel administering the exercise between those that sorted out who was to get what and when and then those that had to deliver them to the cabins.

I have no issue with getting rid of the tat but when they leave the tat and get rid of something of real value - it does irk! How can any bean counter allocate a budget for tat and at the same time take ice cream from my kids?

.............. or have I got this completely misunderstood and that I should be sporting my coral Costa Club lapel pin with pride ..........? :shock:


On the issue of sullen staff, I think it is purely down to morale or put more bluntly - they are p155€d off. They are the first to get the brunt of passengers frustrations with the new systems. I think they adopt the strategy of duck in provide the duck out with minimal engagement with the passenger. Almost afraid to look them in the eye.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: 01 May 2011 13:15
National Flag:
Ireland

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby octocruiser » 15 May 2016 20:00

tomvet wrote:
octocruiser wrote:One does wonder what proportion of the cabins were sold at reduced prices and whether this might mean tne quality of tne food is scaled down.? Shouldn't affect tne staff - unless their grats get scaled down as well :?

On one occasion I got tne impression on a cruise that was undersold that the standard fell a bit short , especially on the entertainment.

I don't know if this really does happen - if it does it's hard luck on those who booked early.


I dont understand this cost cutting lark fully. Costa have removed ice cream from the MDR menus and this has seriously hampered the enjoyment of my cruise. Yet I am supposed to be beside myself with excitement on delivery of my Costa Club coral lapel pin and a photo album that holds 2" x 3" photographs - neither I really want and having got them I have no idea where they are now or care less for that matter! I am sure they didn't cost a whole lot but where the big cost is in the personnel administering the exercise between those that sorted out who was to get what and when and then those that had to deliver them to the cabins.

I have no issue with getting rid of the tat but when they leave the tat and get rid of something of real value - it does irk! How can any bean counter allocate a budget for tat and at the same time take ice cream from my kids?

.............. or have I got this completely misunderstood and that I should be sporting my coral Costa Club lapel pin with pride ..........? :shock:


On the issue of sullen staff, I think it is purely down to morale or put more bluntly - they are p155€d off. They are the first to get the brunt of passengers frustrations with the new systems. I think they adopt the strategy of duck in provide the duck out with minimal engagement with the passenger. Almost afraid to look them in the eye.


I had to smile yesterday when Simon Calder, the Beeb travel 'expert' was answering a question from a viewer about why cruise ships charge single passengers 120% more to book a double cabin for single use.

His explanation was that ships costings are based on 100% occupancy and therefore they will charge a single use of double not only for the spare bed but for anything the second passenger would have spent on board.

I have no doubt it does work something like this, but 100% occupancy ? In their dreams. :lol: !!!!

It has to be a very popular cruise to acheive 100% occupancy and even then some cabins will have been filled at a discount. I would say to expect an average across the board of 85-90% even after discounting would be much more realistic.
User avatar
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4447
Joined: 05 May 2013 10:56
Location: Gloucestershire
National Flag:
England

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby tomvet » 15 May 2016 20:19

octocruiser wrote:
tomvet wrote:
octocruiser wrote:One does wonder what proportion of the cabins were sold at reduced prices and whether this might mean tne quality of tne food is scaled down.? Shouldn't affect tne staff - unless their grats get scaled down as well :?

On one occasion I got tne impression on a cruise that was undersold that the standard fell a bit short , especially on the entertainment.

I don't know if this really does happen - if it does it's hard luck on those who booked early.


I dont understand this cost cutting lark fully. Costa have removed ice cream from the MDR menus and this has seriously hampered the enjoyment of my cruise. Yet I am supposed to be beside myself with excitement on delivery of my Costa Club coral lapel pin and a photo album that holds 2" x 3" photographs - neither I really want and having got them I have no idea where they are now or care less for that matter! I am sure they didn't cost a whole lot but where the big cost is in the personnel administering the exercise between those that sorted out who was to get what and when and then those that had to deliver them to the cabins.

I have no issue with getting rid of the tat but when they leave the tat and get rid of something of real value - it does irk! How can any bean counter allocate a budget for tat and at the same time take ice cream from my kids?

.............. or have I got this completely misunderstood and that I should be sporting my coral Costa Club lapel pin with pride ..........? :shock:


On the issue of sullen staff, I think it is purely down to morale or put more bluntly - they are p155€d off. They are the first to get the brunt of passengers frustrations with the new systems. I think they adopt the strategy of duck in provide the duck out with minimal engagement with the passenger. Almost afraid to look them in the eye.


I had to smile yesterday when Simon Calder, the Beeb travel 'expert' was answering a question from a viewer about why cruise ships charge single passengers 120% more to book a double cabin for single use.

His explanation was that ships costings are based on 100% occupancy and therefore they will charge a single use of double not only for the spare bed but for anything the second passenger would have spent on board.

I have no doubt it does work something like this, but 100% occupancy ? In their dreams. :lol: !!!!

It has to be a very popular cruise to acheive 100% occupancy and even then some cabins will have been filled at a discount. I would say to expect an average across the board of 85-90% even after discounting would be much more realistic.


On that basis our cabins are at 250% occupancy - we don't get too many concessions on that basis. Then again, our last onboard bill was just the compulsory service charge, a water package, 1 coffee and a bar of Milka chocolate!!!! Only for the s/charge being compulsory, that would have been removed too. I have requested it to be refunded on the basis of poor attitude and service from Costa's customer service Department. They have not even acknowledged receipt of my letter, not to mind address its contents. I shall be following up - up being the operative word. That complaint was made to customercare@de.costa.it . Next mail will be to

Andrea Cortese
International Marketing Communication Director at Costa Crociere
Piazza Piccapietra, 48, 16121
Genoa, Italy
+39 010 54831
cortese@costa.it

and then to

Paul Soulsby
Senior Vice President
Piazza Piccapietra, 48, 16121
Genoa, Italy
+39 010 54831
soulsby@costa.it

Failing that Mr Michael Thamm will be receiving the email.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: 01 May 2011 13:15
National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby tomvet » 15 May 2016 20:31

Looks like Jill and Co had an enjoyable day ashore as they

... all went ashore today and thought Villefranche was a pretty little place


She, Stan and May hung about and chilled out in what she describes as 'glorious weather' while Pete went off with the camera.

Tomorrow, they are in Ajaccio but don't have much plans as they have been there before.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: 01 May 2011 13:15
National Flag:
Ireland

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby tobysgranny » 15 May 2016 22:29

Think I'll definitely stick to RCI and Cunard. Having only done one P &O cruise and it was such a disaster we never cruised with them again.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4337
Joined: 27 Aug 2012 17:39
Location: Newport, South Wales
National Flag:
Scotland

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby tomvet » 15 May 2016 22:45

tobysgranny wrote:Think I'll definitely stick to RCI and Cunard. Having only done one P &O cruise and it was such a disaster we never cruised with them again.

Joan


You'd have to be carried off a Costa ship! :D
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: 01 May 2011 13:15
National Flag:
Ireland

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby tobysgranny » 15 May 2016 22:48

:think: :think: :think:

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4337
Joined: 27 Aug 2012 17:39
Location: Newport, South Wales
National Flag:
Scotland

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby Dave » 16 May 2016 07:15

octocruiser wrote:I had to smile yesterday when Simon Calder, the Beeb travel 'expert' was answering a question from a viewer about why cruise ships charge single passengers 120% more to book a double cabin for single use.

His explanation was that ships costings are based on 100% occupancy and therefore they will charge a single use of double not only for the spare bed but for anything the second passenger would have spent on board.

I have no doubt it does work something like this, but 100% occupancy ? In their dreams. :lol: !!!!

It has to be a very popular cruise to acheive 100% occupancy and even then some cabins will have been filled at a discount. I would say to expect an average across the board of 85-90% even after discounting would be much more realistic.

I once made an enquiry about booking single occupancy with Thomson and was told the cost of the cabin would be more than 100% extra, although I don't think it was as much as 120%. When I expressed my surprise, the Thomson consultant suggested I book for two people - and the 'other' simply wouldn't turn up.

I think the real problem here is that accommodation on cruise ships is almost exclusively for 'normal' people - that is, couples. It's difficult to get accurate figures for the percentage of single adults in the UK, but it's at least 10% and probably a fair bit more. But it's cost effective for cruise lines to provide only (or nearly only) for couples, and there's no legislation to protect the interests of adults who are single. I think this is a form of discrimination that needs to be addressed.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
User avatar
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer
 
Posts: 13104
Joined: 24 Feb 2011 15:25
Location: Whitstable
National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Digital postcards



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron