Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby tomvet » 17 May 2016 10:35

grannyM wrote:
Mungo wrote:
Skier Pete wrote:There is a small amount of info in my review from Dec 2014 Sinfonia Nov - Dec 2014


Thanks Pete. :thumbup: As we're going in July we hopefully can spend some time at the beach. :mrgreen:


Sue, we've been to Civitavecchia a few times and the ships' shuttles used to drop off right in the centre of the city. However last year because of road works around this area the ships' shuttles were being dropped off in a car park a long walk from there. It could be that the road works have been completed, but perhaps not, so be prepared for a long and uninspiring walk to the centre of the city and the beach. It is a lovely walk along the promenade and beach so I'm sure you will enjoy it once you get there. We are going in June and although we will probably go to Rome I will try and find out on the ship about the shuttle bus situation for you. :)

We had the same experience on Opera last December and from what I understand it is a permanent arrangement. The walk from the drop off to the train station is 20 mins - so the beach is about 15. The giant statue of the kissing sailor was gone too.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: 01 May 2011 13:15
National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby Meg50 » 17 May 2016 10:45

when we were there the shuttles only went as far as the dock gates
Meg
User avatar
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: 15 Jun 2011 07:49
Location: Saff Lunnon
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby Mungo » 17 May 2016 17:12

grannyM wrote:
Sue, we've been to Civitavecchia a few times and the ships' shuttles used to drop off right in the centre of the city. However last year because of road works around this area the ships' shuttles were being dropped off in a car park a long walk from there. It could be that the road works have been completed, but perhaps not, so be prepared for a long and uninspiring walk to the centre of the city and the beach. It is a lovely walk along the promenade and beach so I'm sure you will enjoy it once you get there. We are going in June and although we will probably go to Rome I will try and find out on the ship about the shuttle bus situation for you. :)


Thank you Marie! :thumbup: I keep reading different things about the shuttles!
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
User avatar
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 7009
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 17:41

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby grannyM » 17 May 2016 17:24

Mungo wrote:
grannyM wrote:
Sue, we've been to Civitavecchia a few times and the ships' shuttles used to drop off right in the centre of the city. However last year because of road works around this area the ships' shuttles were being dropped off in a car park a long walk from there. It could be that the road works have been completed, but perhaps not, so be prepared for a long and uninspiring walk to the centre of the city and the beach. It is a lovely walk along the promenade and beach so I'm sure you will enjoy it once you get there. We are going in June and although we will probably go to Rome I will try and find out on the ship about the shuttle bus situation for you. :)


Thank you Marie! :thumbup: I keep reading different things about the shuttles!


You are welcome Sue. No problem, if I remember. ;)
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17606
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 11:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby tomvet » 17 May 2016 22:44

Last night onboard Oceana. Jill and Co disembark in Genoa tomorrow.
I think Jill's feeling on the whole cruise is catching. Usually we read someone embarks today and before we know it they are disembarking and we wonder where the week has gone.

I think it has been a long week onboard!

For the final full day of their cruise, Jill

enjoyed their [our] day on board with Stan and May


They are in Civitavecchia. Jill may have more up to date info on the Shuttles however she says that

shuttles were every 30 mins and were serving 4 cruise ships


She remains unimpressed with the cruise, giving it a score of 4 with Plunky awarding it a higher score. It appears that many agree with her sentiments about the cruise, P&O etc stating

Our table mates were not impressed either


Safe journey home J, P, S & M!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: 01 May 2011 13:15
National Flag:
Ireland

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby Gillzajoker » 18 May 2016 13:41

And safe journey back from me too. :D
Image
User avatar
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 15320
Joined: 03 Mar 2011 16:07
Location: Costa Almeria, Spain
National Flag:
Spain

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby JollyJill » 18 May 2016 20:42

Well we are back home at last.

I might do a review when I recover but let me just say that our decision to book this cruise just 10 days before we sailed, was to spend time with with Stan and May and on that basis, we are glad that we did.

I must also point out that I knew that I would be spending more time on board because I am unable to walk very far at the moment due to a dodgy ankle, which hopefully will be fixed (surgery) in the not too distant future.

What surprised me more than anything was the deterioration of the ship and cruise experience that we experienced 17 months ago. :o

P & O have never been my favourite cruise line but Oceana urgently needs a refit and it has been postponed for from December this year for 12 months!

I am sure that Stan and May enjoyed the cruise which was paramount due to Stan's recent and to a degree ongoing ill health.

For us though. I found myself comparing everything to our recent on board experience with Fred Olsen and P & O came nowhere close in standards of food, service, entertainment and atmosphere.

At first I thought that perhaps we have just been spoilt with so many cruises, until I spoke to fellow passengers whose opinions mirrored mine.

P & O are going to have to do something about Oceana................ and quickly.
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 13:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby Trace » 19 May 2016 06:28

JollyJill wrote:Well we are back home at last.

I will do a review when I recover but let me just say that our decision to book this cruise just 10 days before we sailed, was to spend time with with Stan and May and on that basis, we are glad that we did.

I must also point out that I knew that I would be spending more time on board because I am unable to walk very far at the moment due to a dodgy ankle, which hopefully will be fixed (surgery) in the not too distant future.

What surprised me more than anything was the deterioration of the ship and cruise experience that we experienced 17 months ago. :o

P & O have never been my favourite cruise line but Oceana urgently needs a refit and it has been postponed for from December this year for 12 months!

I am sure that Stan and May enjoyed the cruise which was paramount due to Stan's recent and to a degree ongoing ill health.

For us though. I found myself comparing everything to our recent on board experience with Fred Olsen and P & O came nowhere close in standards of food, service, entertainment and atmosphere.

At first I thought that perhaps we have just been spoilt with so many cruises, until I spoke to fellow passengers whose opinions mirrored mine.

P & O are going to have to do something about Oceana................ and quickly.


Welcome home Jill... I look forward to hearing all about it, we were on Oceana, boarded a year ago yesterday at Venice... We found the ship, the crew and the food lovely tho I did keep comparing it to the Ventura which I much prefer. I can't understand how so much can change in 17 months, or as in our case, a year.

Also, I know of few people returning from P&O feeling disappointed.... My daughters mum and dad in-Law have had some Australian relatives to stay for two weeks, they came over to Southampton from Oz on The Arcadia (I think!) on a 66 day voyage, I assume it was a sector of the world cruise?.... They were very disappointed with the food.... They are regular cruisers and have done various cruise lines too... Said wasn't a patch on what it used to be, and are going to go back to Royal Caribbean.

Pleased you had a lovely time with Stan and May tho Jill :) xxx
Tracey :-)
User avatar
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 3956
Joined: 18 Dec 2011 19:48
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Onboard P&O's Oceana with JollyJill and friends!

Postby Gillzajoker » 19 May 2016 13:44

Welcome back, Jill, shame the cruise didn't live up to expectations but, as you say, the main object of the exercise was to spend quality time with Stan and May and that, at least, was achieved. :clap:
Image
User avatar
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 15320
Joined: 03 Mar 2011 16:07
Location: Costa Almeria, Spain
National Flag:
Spain

Previous

Return to Digital postcards



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests