Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Wansbrough's Digital Postcards from Harmony of the Seas - To Rotterdam and back in 4 nights!

Wansbrough's Digital Postcards from Harmony of the Seas - To Rotterdam and back in 4 nights!

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Re: Wansbrough's Digital Postcards from Harmony of the Seas - To Rotterdam and back in 4 nights!

Postby sevenseascoaster » 30 May 2016 20:14

That was some review W and as usual just amazing pictures, you must have taken all of them at very early times of the day, (never anyone in the pictures)!! a real comprehensive look at all the ship has to offer. Thank you.

Can't judge until you've tried I know, BUt it really is huge, and that central Boardwalk all looks so claustrophobic, not my cup of tea I think, but wouldn't mind a day trip over her.
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Wansbrough's Digital Postcards from Harmony of the Seas - To Rotterdam and back in 4 nights!

Postby Dave » 31 May 2016 15:00

Wansbrough wrote:
Dave wrote:True, but don't worry. Here is fine.... ;)

I'm not surprised that the media latched on to the small matter of the ship being unfinished. No one seemed to mind the fanfare and endless reporting about the biggest cruise ship in the world, and I'm sure that RCI were quite happy with the publicity.

However, they seem to want to have their cake and eat it. I apologise if I'm wrong, but didn't RCI sell this as a cruise - and not as a pre-inaugural beta test? Did they tell people that work would be in progress - and reduce the fares accordingly? I get the feeling that they loved all initial the attention and then when some people complained they told them they shouldn't actually have expected the ship to be finished!

I don't look for negatives but neither do I like being taken for a mug! If I pay for something and the seller sells me short then I'm prepared to make a fuss. It's not about the money - it's the principle.

I have been giving the last part of your post some thought and considering if I think we were mis-sold. I have discussed it with Nicole and we are both in agreement that in our opinion we were not. We have been on two previous cruises with new ships where we have been the first paying passengers and neither of those were labelled as inaugural much like this one. In fact this cruise was first labelled as 4 night Europe Cruise then it changed to 4 night short Getaway Cruise and we knew when we made the booking there would be things not working or right when we booked it. Previous experience told us that.
So, I ask myself the question..... what exactly was I sold? The answer is a cruise and that is exactly what we got. We had a great cabin, we ate really well and most of all had a fantastic time.

Granted RCI didn't tell people that parts of the ship would not be finished but I suppose its very difficult to stop the media wheels turning when a project this vast over runs a little. I certainly don't feel like I was taken for a mug but can sort of understand some why others have felt so let down, probably a little communication pre cruise would have gone a long way but as we all know this is not any of the cruise lines strongest qualities.
Perhaps they would be better off going back to having these big ships made in Finland being as the French yard let them down?

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your cruise and thought it good value. I hasten to add that I wasn't aiming my comments at you (or anyone else) - only making some general points. And I made them in this topic instead of Giant Cruise Ship 'a construction site' because it was here where the subject last came up!

I had in mind the BBC news item when I made my post. The response from Royal Caribbean to reports of complaints about the ship sailing in an unfinished state was that this was a "...pre-inaugural sailing..." and "...we are still making some final finishing touches...". The problem I have with that response is that it doesn't address the complaints... unless RCI is actually claiming that the ship was unfinished because it was a pre-inaugural sailing. And surely, if RCI knew the ship would be unfinished when they were selling cruises they ought to have warned their customers - as you suggest.

Although we've not done a first cruise on a new ship, we have done a 'post-stretch-and-refit' cruise. It was on Braemar in the Eastern Med in August - perfect for sunbathing on the sun deck. The problem was that the sun deck was 'out-of-bounds' for the entire 14 nights. I was willing to go with the flow back then, but if it happened now that I'm older and grumpier I'd certainly be prepared to make a fuss... ;)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 31 May 2016 15:36

Not a problem Dave, I was just musing over your last comment. We all feel differently about such matters and I just wanted to elaborate on how we felt. :D
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 31 May 2016 16:42

Really enjoyed your review W and pictures. Havn't got any plans at the moment to cruise again on an Oasis Class ship but we may in the future. Like you we love The Radiance class and in fact apart from our cruise on the Navigator (still one of my favourite ships) to the Baltics our other two future cruises are both on Radiance Class Ships, The Brilliance and The Serenade.

When we did the T/A on The Oasis after her refit there were loads of people constantly moaning about all the work still going on but we made the most of things and enjoyed the cruise nevertheless. RCI did, however, compensate everyone. I think if I remember correctly we had $200 each.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Wansbrough » 03 Jun 2016 19:15

Just received this e-mail from RCI.

From the desk of
Michael Bayley
President and CEO of Royal Caribbean International

Dear Wansbrough ;)

Thank you for being a part of the Southampton pre-inaugural sailing on Harmony of the Seas. We hope you gained a sense for why we are excited about our newest member of the fleet with her many incredible features introduced for the first time at sea.

On a ship of such scale and complexity, we were hopeful all work would be complete in time for your cruise and recognize there were simply too many projects still being completed during the voyage. Please accept our sincere apologies.

We'd like to have the opportunity to welcome you again, and to offer you our hospitality at the highest standard. We are offering each guest who sailed with us on the May 22, 2016 Harmony of the Seas cruise a Future Cruise Certificate for 50% of the cruise fare paid for that sailing. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on any Royal Caribbean ship within the next 18 months. Within the next two weeks, Future Cruise Certificates will be e-mailed or mailed to your address on file, or travel agent if you booked through them.

We are eager to have the opportunity to welcome you back onboard in the future, when we can deliver the experience at the high standards Royal Caribbean has become known for and that we expect of ourselves.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean.

Sincerely,

Michael Bayley
President & CEO
Royal Caribbean International

I wonder what the T&C's are with regards to length of cruise? A mini cruise is what sprang to mind first.

It amounts to just over £250 per person....... so will we use them?

We'll have to wait and see. 8-)
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 03 Jun 2016 19:40

Well I think that's a generous offer!! On any ship too?

We have only been on one RCI ship, Voyager of the seas, loved it! Was our first cruise so perhaps that's why it holds so many happy memories.

So has everyone who was on your cruise been offered this?
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 03 Jun 2016 19:47

Trace wrote:

i don't know, but I have just e-mailed our friends to see if they have had the same offer.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 03 Jun 2016 20:28

Wansbrough wrote:
Trace wrote:

i don't know, but I have just e-mailed our friends to see if they have had the same offer.

Well at least they are offering something for a cruise that wasn't quite cracked up to what it should have been.

If you were not over enamoured with Harmony, maybe you you could try one of their smaller ships before they offload them all.

How about another cruise on Jewel for old times sake? :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 03 Jun 2016 20:54

JollyJill wrote:How about another cruise on Jewel for old times sake? :)

I have been looking at a mini on Indy which we would pretty much get for nothing. If I don't use it on something like that they will probably expire.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 03 Jun 2016 21:56

Excellent news about the apology from RCI. :clap:

I could claim to have predicted this outcome last week in the Giant Cruise Ship 'a construction site' topic when I wrote...

Dave wrote:...The news item is about the unfinished state of Harmony of the Seas, with passengers' photos illustrating the point. Assuming the photos are all genuine, it doesn't look good.

However, I'm sure that RCI will be refunding a proportion of people's fares as compensation for selling a cruise on an unfinished ship...

...except that I was being facetious! :lol:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext