Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - JollyJill on Oceania Marina 7th - 14th June 2016

JollyJill on Oceania Marina 7th - 14th June 2016

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby tomvet » 12 Jun 2016 12:45

JollyJill wrote:Today we arrived in Brest at around 8.30 am to rain and not even warn rain at that. :(

Brest is an industrial port so a shuttle bus was provided to take those not on tours into town, which stops in 4 places- Oceanopolis, Brest Castle, City Centre and Quay de la Douane.

As it is forbidden to wander round the port and the shuttle bus is not suitable for a scooter user, it meant that once again there would only be 3 of us. Coupled with it being Sunday when most of the city centre would be closed and it was raining.
The decision was not to bother going ashore unless the sun came out, which it hasn't yet.

Last night, we were booked in the second speciality restaurant for us, Red Ginger. We were all looking forward to it being fans of Asian food and for the most part, we were not disappointed.
The food was first class, as was the choice. The service was good most of the time but fell a bit short of expectations towards the end of our meal when the restaurant had become very busy. I also had to ask someone to get the wine waiter to supply me with another glass of wine (part of our package).

We all agreed that the decor in Red Ginger could do with changing for something brighter as it was very dark and for want of a better word 'unimaginative'. The dismal wall panels could be replaced with Japanese/Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese etc murals. It would have lightened the place and given a better ambience- only our opinion of course- all 4 of us that is. ;)

Today we are going to be thoroughly naughty and try the afternoon tea in Horizons. As we are booked into the Polo Grill at 6.30, I am skipping lunch. Plunky has just been down to the executive lounge, which serves this floor for a snack lunch and cuppa.

Tonight in the Marina Lounge the resident troupe are performing 'Malibu Waves', which is a tribute to the Beach Boys- shouldd be good. :)

Afternoon Tea on board! :thumbup:

Pity about the weather! Raining here too after 2 glorious weeks, one of which I was away in Sarajevo for where it rained!

Oceanopolis - is that an aquarium?
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 12 Jun 2016 12:55

Yes it is Tom. We have been to so many aquariums on our travels; the last one being in Capetown, that we find it difficult to get excited about them now.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 12 Jun 2016 13:14

JollyJill wrote:

Yes it is Tom. We have been to so many aquariums on our travels; the last one being in Capetown, that we find it difficult to get excited about them now.

I concur Jill! A little goes a long way with me. Aquaria, Zoos and Ancient Roman / Phoenician/ Greek sites are now in that category. Unless the museum / antiquity offers something unique, I am not bothered - of late the Pergamon in Berlin is the only museum that offered that unique something.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 13 Jun 2016 15:24

Today's update starts with afternoon tea in the Horizons lounge yesterday at 4pm.

The seating was very comfortable and the ambience was pleasant- pics to follow in the review.

However, as you would expect on a cruise line that caters predominantly for Americans, we Brits have a problem with how they serve tea.
Once seated, we were given a pot of hot water each (actually it was half full). We then sat and waited for the tea bags to get to us. There was one waiter walking round with a wooden box of different tea bags and of course, everyone was taking their time choosing which ones to have. By the time he reached us, we guessed that the water would not be at optimum temperature to make a decent brew so that was a big (but expected) disappointment.

The waiters offering food came round with trays and a trolley but it seemed a little odd that there was no order to the procedure.

The cakes came first, followed by the sandwiches but scones were nowhere to be seen- until we had finished, when we noticed that they were on a table and we could help ourselves. Sadly none of the waiters mentioned it and so we missed out on the traditional part of afternoon tea..... i.e. scones with jam and cream.

All in all, we were a tad disappointed. If ever there is a next time, I will be sure to take my own tea bags with me and make straight for the scones. ;)

Last night, we were booked into the Polo Grill, the 3rd of the speciality restaurants. As the name suggests, the menu was typically American steak house fayre.
2 of us opted for the surf and turf, one for a filet mignon and the other the rack of lamb.
We all enjoyed our meal but unfortunately for Plunky, he found the chairs to be very uncomfortable which aggravated his back problem.

All in all, we decided that we preferred our meals in the Grand Dining Room, Toscana & Red Ginger.
We are booked into Jacques tonight- our final speciality booking.

Today we are in St Malo and unlike yesterday in Brest, the weather is dry even though the sun didn't shine when we were ashore.
It is a tender port, which sadly ruled out Wen's hubby coming ashore with us. :(

The tendering process was a breeze in that there was no waiting involved. It was announced at around 9.15 that anyone wishing to go ashore should just make for the gangway and there would be a tender waiting.
Once ashore, we began our walk by climbing the steps to the ramparts which surround the city of St Malo.
Half way round, we descended to walk the streets and take in the ambience of the place, which was very pleasant.

Here are some pics of our time in St Malo................

Well I have packed but Plunky always leaves his until after dinner.

I will probably use that time for another update on what we all thought of Jacques.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 13 Jun 2016 16:13

Loved the update particularly the pictures of St. Malo which brought back some lovely memories for me.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 14 Jun 2016 05:27

Well that's it- our week of luxury and fine dining is over. We are now waiting for breakfast to arrive before we have to collect our passports at 7.15 from immigration and then disembark.

Last night, we had dinner at Jacques which I rated above the other 3 speciality restaurants but to be honest, it would be difficult to find fault with the food in any of them, or the Grand Dining room for that matter.

We have just received our final bill which amounted to just the cost of the gratuities, the amount being $23pppn. I twas obviously more expensive with upgrade to the suite but it was worth it. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby adogap » 14 Jun 2016 07:03

Really enjoyed your blog and photos Jill, looking forward to seeing inside the ship when you have time.
Wishing all of you a safe journey home

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 14 Jun 2016 10:22

I too have enjoyed this Jill, and look forward to more photos... No rush.... Get the washer on first... :lol:

Also wondered if this has spoilt you for future cruises? It all sounded lovely.

Safe journey home all of you X
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 14 Jun 2016 10:31

Welcome back to Jill, Wen and the two Ps. :wave: :wave: :wave: I have really enjoyed your digital postcards Jill, thank you so much for posting them to us. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 14 Jun 2016 12:08

Welcome home, you four!

No doubt it is raining !

Pouring down here, after a week of what really felt like summer .

I have enjoyed reading your updates, it's nice to get the 'live' feel and share the atmosphere while you are on board.

Safe journey home!
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

PreviousNext

Return to Digital postcards