Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Occasional updates from our Caribbean Christmas on TUI Discovery

Occasional updates from our Caribbean Christmas on TUI Discovery

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby Dave » 24 Dec 2016 17:03

We're setting off for the Caribbean and our Christmas cruise tomorrow so I'll get this 'occasional blog' under way now. We'll be getting up at 5am on Christmas Day(!) for the drive to Gatwick - at least the roads should be quiet! Most of the packing is done. In my case that means I've charged the electrical stuff and laid out the clothes I want to take ready for Fred to do the packing. :D

We're really not looking forward to the 9-or-so hour flight to Barbados, but I know we'll think it was worth it when we arrive and feel the heat and imagine what the weather's like back in the UK. 8-)

I'm very much looking forward to seeing TUI Discovery. The photos on Thomson's website make it look as if she's in a different league to the other Thomson ships we've experienced. So when we're not soaking up the sun on a golden, sandy beach or lounging on the balcony, I'll be taking loads of photos to post on the forum... ;)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby adogap » 24 Dec 2016 17:36

Have a great time Dave and Fred. Looking forward to the updates

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Dec 2016 17:47

Bon voyage Dave and Fred, have a great Christmas in the lovely Caribbean. :wave:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Jimmy the One » 24 Dec 2016 18:09

Have a great time in the Caribbean both :thumbup:
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Trace » 24 Dec 2016 19:06

Have a great time Dave and Fred, we loved the ship, have only done two Thomson ships, The Spirit and TUI Discovery.... The latter is leagues ahead in our opinion.... it reminded me a lot of out first ever cruise on RCCI Voyager of the seas.
The shows were fabulous, also I would recommend booking at the speciality restaurants if want to eat there, we couldn't get in at Surf and Turf, but ate at Kora La, wonderful :) we thoroughly enjoyed all of our food on this cruise, 47 and Gallery 47 were fabulous too, and we had excellent service all week.

Happy Christmas and I look forward to hearing your views on this lovely ship on your return :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 24 Dec 2016 19:12

Trace wrote:Have a great time Dave and Fred, we loved the ship, have only done two Thomson ships, The Spirit and TUI Discovery.... The latter is leagues ahead in our opinion.... it reminded me a lot of out first ever cruise on RCCI Voyager of the seas.
The shows were fabulous, also would recommend booking at the speciality restaurants if want to eat there, we couldn't get in at the Steak one, but ate at Kora La, wonderful :)

Hi Trace. We've only ever used Thomson's buffet restaurants in the past but we hope to try a speciality one (or more) this time. It won't matter if we can't get in at the 'Steak one' though... because we're vegetarians. :D

(The quote was accurate at the time of my reply! :lol: )
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 24 Dec 2016 19:18

Dave wrote:
Trace wrote:Have a great time Dave and Fred, we loved the ship, have only done two Thomson ships, The Spirit and TUI Discovery.... The latter is leagues ahead in our opinion.... it reminded me a lot of out first ever cruise on RCCI Voyager of the seas.
The shows were fabulous, also would recommend booking at the speciality restaurants if want to eat there, we couldn't get in at the Steak one, but ate at Kora La, wonderful :)

Hi Trace. We've only ever used Thomson's buffet restaurants in the past but we hope to try a speciality one (or more) this time. It won't matter if we can't get in at the 'Steak one' though... because we're vegetarians. :D

(The quote was accurate at the time of my reply! :lol: )

:lol: I couldn't remember the name of Surf and Turf... Then it came to me :lol:

I forgot you were vegetarians!! But, I remember now, as I did take note of the vegetarian options in the buffet for my review especially for you, and there was a really good choice. The buffet is one of the best we have eaten in on any of the ships we have been on, although we only use it for breakfast and lunch. Oh, and of course, afternoon tea..... :lol:
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Occasional updates from our Caribbean Christmas on TUI Discovery

Postby tomvet » 24 Dec 2016 20:11

Have a great cruise - I hope your luggage travels with you, this Christmas!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 24 Dec 2016 20:31

tomvet wrote:Have a great cruise - I hope your luggage travels with you, this Christmas!

We've taken your advice Tom - two large suitcases plus hand luggage. ;)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 24 Dec 2016 20:48

Dave wrote:
tomvet wrote:Have a great cruise - I hope your luggage travels with you, this Christmas!

We've taken your advice Tom - two large suitcases plus hand luggage. ;)

Just a handy tip I picked up from an award winning blog! ;)
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Next