Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Occasional updates from our Caribbean Christmas on TUI Discovery

Occasional updates from our Caribbean Christmas on TUI Discovery

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Re: Occasional updates from our Caribbean Christmas on TUI Discovery

Postby khkate » 30 Dec 2016 19:40

Dave wrote:We headed to the far end of Cockleshell Bay to find 'our' tree...

I'm sure that everyone has their own favourite Caribbean island but we just love St Kitts. :-)

Interesting comments from somebody who always says they don't like to do repeat itineraries. Glad the ship is fulfilling your requirements and certainly envy you the sunshine and beaches.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Dave » 30 Dec 2016 21:00

khkate wrote:
Dave wrote:We headed to the far end of Cockleshell Bay to find 'our' tree...

I'm sure that everyone has their own favourite Caribbean island but we just love St Kitts. :-)

Interesting comments from somebody who always says they don't like to do repeat itineraries. Glad the ship is fulfilling your requirements and certainly envy you the sunshine and beaches.

Fair comment. :-)

We don't normally like to repeat an itinerary, but a Christmas cruise has become the exception to the rule. We have a very narrow time window so, for example, while we'd have liked to have 'done' Cuba this year it wasn't possible. Also, we go to the Caribbean for the heat and the wonderful beaches so we're not too bothered about which islands we visit. We do especially like St Kitts though. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 30 Dec 2016 21:06

tomvet wrote:
Dave wrote:
We received confirmation this morning that our Cuba cruise is booked and we've got the cabin we wanted. Roll on next Christmas! :-)

Did you book the Royal Suite? Good grief, what ever will you do with the baby grand piano at your disposal?

:-) When I said we got the cabin we wanted, I meant the most desirable one for us. ;-) We much prefer a cabin at the stern and we've got one bang in the centre. It's a suite (of course ;-)) and the balcony is slightly bigger than the one we have now. :-)

Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 30 Dec 2016 21:10

Dave wrote:
Trace wrote:Heard on the radio that bookings on either of the TUI Discovery ships on sailings after May 2017, there is an offer of £100 off per booking and a free AI drinks package, or does it work out better to book to book another cruise whilst onboard?
Still really enjoying your updates :)

Hi again Trace. I think that all Tui cruises are going to be AI - the one we've just booked is. There was a 5% discount for booking on board plus no charge for selecting a cabin. So we saved about £250 and got what we think is the perfect cabin. :-)

You have got a good deal,then Dave, plus the cabin of your choice. Fabulous photos, we loved the ship.
Have you tried the 'snack shack' at all? I wasn't fussed on the 'fast food' but we did enjoy the tubs of fresh fruit.
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 30 Dec 2016 22:02

Hi Trace. Yes, we really like the Snack Shack. We've taken sandwiches and fruit pots back to the cabin for lunch a couple of times. :-)

We think the food on Discovery is amazingly excellent. I know I raved about Fred Olsen's food just a few weeks ago but I think the food on Discovery is better. I should add that we've mostly eaten in the buffet though, so I can't comment about the main restaurants.

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 30 Dec 2016 22:07

Dave wrote:Hi Trace. Yes, we really like the Snack Shack. We've taken sandwiches and fruit pots back to the cabin for lunch a couple of times. :-)

We think the food on Discovery is amazingly excellent. I know I raved about Fred Olsen's food just a few weeks ago but I think the food on Discovery is better. I should add that we've mostly eaten in the buffet though, so I can't comment about the main restaurants.

Just a thought! Good food on Fred, on Pullmantur and now TUI / Thomson - could this be a result in the recovery of cruising with higher fares now being the norm, less discounting, add ons versus last min deals i.e. in short in the onboard service improving with increasing fares!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 31 Dec 2016 01:59

Following Trace saying in a previous post that she enjoyed the 'Legends' show...

We've just seen the show and thought it was absolutely brilliant. It's difficult to describe but I'll try... Artists such as David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Marc Bolan, Prince and many others were featured and the performances integrated the show company, a live band, video footage and the original artist in a variety of ways. The result was stunning. :-)

I can't take photos during shows, so here's one I took of the show lounge the other day when we arrived early... ;-)

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 31 Dec 2016 06:48

Dave wrote:Following Trace saying in a previous post that she enjoyed the 'Legends' show...

We've just seen the show and thought it was absolutely brilliant. It's difficult to describe but I'll try... Artists such as David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Marc Bolan, Prince and many others were featured and the performances integrated the show company, a live band, video footage and the original artist in a variety of ways. The result was stunning. :-)

I can't take photos during shows, so here's one I took of the show lounge the other day when we arrived early... ;-)

I'm so pleased you saw this show and enjoyed it, I found it very well presented, and very moving. I have always been a big fan of David Bowie, also Marc Bolan in my younger days.
I hasn't realised, until we saw this show, that Kirsty MacColl had also passed away.

The theatre is fabulous, we always had a great view whatever time we arrived. Thanks for taking the time to post this Dave :thumbup:
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 31 Dec 2016 12:14

Good morning from Roseau in Dominica. Today we're doing an excursion called Indian River Row Boat and Beach. Sounds good! :-)

I can see a ship in the distance called Insignia. Is she Oceania?

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Occasional updates from our Caribbean Christmas on TUI Discovery

Postby Gillzajoker » 31 Dec 2016 15:18

That's great news, Dave. Isn't it wonderful whenyou find something that ticks all the boxes! Look forward to hearing more! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

PreviousNext