Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Dave's occasional updates from Marella Discovery 2

Dave's occasional updates from Marella Discovery 2

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby Dave » 25 Dec 2017 17:15

As for many of our previous cruises, I'll start the topic the day before we set off because such things are always more easily done on a PC. Then from tomorrow I hope to make posts every so often from the cruise. :D

This will be our first cruise since last Christmas when we were in the Caribbean on TUI Discovery. We loved that ship and while on board we booked this year's winter getaway on the almost identical Discovery 2. And we really liked our suite at the stern, so we booked another of those too. Incidentally, I still don't know whether the ship's name is TUI Discovery 2 or Marella Discovery 2 - TUI's website has photos of the ship apparently bearing either name. I guess I'll have to look and see what's actually painted on the side rather than rely on 'photoshopped' images.

So that's it for now - we'll be setting off for Gatwick at about 5.30am tomorrow! Happy Christmas! :wave:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Dave's occasional updates from Discovery 2

Postby tomvet » 25 Dec 2017 20:52

Bon voyage Dave! Hope you have packed 2 suitcases which each other's clothes divided amongst them. You looking like you are attending a toga party wearing the shower curtain would make interesting photographs!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Dave's occasional updates from Discovery 2

Postby Dave » 25 Dec 2017 22:29

tomvet wrote:Bon voyage Dave! Hope you have packed 2 suitcases which each other's clothes divided amongst them. You looking like you are attending a toga party wearing the shower curtain would make interesting photographs!

Thanks Tom. We're taking just the one suitcase; we trust TUI. :D
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Dave's occasional updates from Marella Discovery 2

Postby Dave » 26 Dec 2017 08:47

Happy Boxing Day from Gatwick. Our plane awaits! :-) Image

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 26 Dec 2017 10:34

Have a wonderful time, Dave and Fred! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby grannyM » 26 Dec 2017 10:54

Hope you both have a smooth journey and a great holiday in the sun. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby bobbyoscar » 26 Dec 2017 12:43

Have a lovely time; looking forward to the updates.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Porto- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Dave's occasional updates from Marella Discovery 2

Postby Dave » 27 Dec 2017 01:14

It's 1am in the UK as I write this, but it's only 8pm here in Montego Bay. We got up at 4.30am and the flight was about 10 hours, so it's been a very long day!

Marella Discovery 2 looks absolutely identical to Discovery 1. I think there was a shower curtain in the bathroom where now there's a glass screen, but that's the only difference I've found so far.

We'd hoped to do the submarine excursion in Grand Cayman tomorrow but sadly it's fully booked, so we plan to spend the day at the beach instead. Apparently the best beach is only a 30 minute walk from where we tender ashore. :-)

The cabin is exactly as expected and the balcony is plenty big enough!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 27 Dec 2017 10:05

Glad you arrived safely and the stern balcony looks great. The 'Vision Class' ships are a favourite of Chris and myself, you can see the sea from almost every room aboard. It is pouring cats and dogs here in Kent this morning, although we are lucky because much of the Country has got snow, so enjoy that Caribbean sun. It was a shame that you were unable to go on the submarine excursion as it looked to be a great thing to do.

Have a great cruise and we wish you, Fred and your family a very happy, healthy and peaceful New Year. Keep taking the cruising pills!!!
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 27 Dec 2017 11:29

Glad you got there all in one piece (luggage too!) - even if it was a long day. I find the day that we travel exhausting and is never less than 12 hours even when flying to Europe when you factor in for us 3 hours to the airport, 2 hour wait, the flight of 2 -3 hours, post arrival formalities, transfer and wait times between connections.

Pity your submarine trip is going to be a non-runner! This also happened us on our Thomson Destiny cruise - our flight from Cork was one of the last to arrive In Majorca. We tried to book a trip to the Alhambra Palace but all places were reserved by those who arrived on earlier flights. The facility to reserve online was not available then. Same happens on MSC ships, many places on a tour may be reserved by those that embarked at ports the previous days!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Next