Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Blogging by phone

Blogging by phone

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Blogging by phone

Postby arkangel » 02 Jan 2014 11:50

Over the past few years I've made occasional posts and even posted entire blogs while cruising - using a ship's PC, a netbook, a laptop and a tablet at various times. But nothing has come close to the ease and simplicity of blogging by phone.

A modern smartphone is perfect for blogging for a number of reasons. It's a decent camera, which is small enough to always have with you when you go ashore. It's a notebook in which you can write posts offline. And it connects to a ship's wi-fi as easily as a bigger device.

I use a Samsung S2 (yet another hand-me-down from my wife!), but the following applies to any decent smartphone. When you connect to Cruising Mates for the first time with a phone you'll be informed that an app, Tapatalk, is available and invited to download it. It costs a couple of pounds but it's well worth it. Tapatalk makes using the forum on a mobile device very easy!

Here's a step-by-step account of how to blog from a phone with Tapatalk:

Take photos with your phone. They'll all be stored in the phone's photo gallery and can easily be added to posts later.

Write something in whatever notebook or diary comes with your phone. I use the Android Diary:

Copy your text from the diary. Connect to the ship's wi-fi. Open Tapatalk and paste the text into a new post. Insert a photo (or several) from the gallery. Submit the post. Disconnect from the ship's wi-fi!

If you have a decent wi-fi connection you'll only need to be online (and charged) for less than a minute. Your photos will be resized automatically and don't need to be uploaded separately.

It really is that simple, but if you've any questions please ask... :D
(Dave)
arkangel
Administrator
Administrator

National Flag:
United Nations

Re: Blogging by phone

Postby JollyJill » 02 Jan 2014 13:11

I have to admit that I am considering getting a smart phone when my current mobile phone contract is up for renewal- which isn't until November.

Being technically challenged, I need to understand how these things work and more importantly, find which phone would suit me best. On that basis, I have chatted to both my daughters on the subject and both have recommended a Samsung.
My elder daughter is with vodafone and so has android but I will probably want to stay with what was Orange and is now EE and will have to do further research.
For me, it's like wading through treacle but I am determined to get through it and out the other side.
Meanwhile, I think I will stick to reviews as a blog without photos is not ideal and for me to post photos whilst away takes longer than on a smart phone and is cost prohibitive. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Blogging by phone

Postby Dave » 02 Jan 2014 13:25

Hi Jill

I'm sure we all have our favourites when it come to things like tablets and phones. My preference is for Samsung.

Fred has both a Samsung S4 and an Apple iPhone5. These are the market leaders' current top offerings and she definitely prefers the Samsung over the Apple.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Blogging by phone

Postby JollyJill » 02 Jan 2014 13:28

Dave wrote:Hi Jill

I'm sure we all have our favourites when it come to things like tablets and phones. My preference is for Samsung.

Fred has both a Samsung S4 and an Apple iPhone5. These are the market leaders' current top offerings and she definitely prefers the Samsung over the Apple.

Thanks Dave. I have 10 months to get my head round it all. Knowing my luck and with the speed that phone technology is moving, there will be other options by then. :roll:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Blogging by phone

Postby tobysgranny » 02 Jan 2014 18:24

This sounds like a good idea Dave, but it's the copying and pasting bit I don't understand. Would it be a pain if I do what I have done before and e.mail you straight from my notes and then I can add pictures to the post quite quickly on
Tapatalk.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Blogging by phone

Postby Dave » 02 Jan 2014 18:58

tobysgranny wrote:This sounds like a good idea Dave, but it's the copying and pasting bit I don't understand. Would it be a pain if I do what I have done before and e.mail you straight from my notes and then I can add pictures to the post quite quickly on
Tapatalk.

Joan

I'm always happy to help in any way I can Joan. ;)

To copy text on a phone, you just hold your finger anywhere on the text until a menu pops up. Then tap 'Select all' followed by 'Copy'. To paste, just hold your finger where you want the text until a menu pops up and tap 'Paste'.
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Blogging by phone

Postby tobysgranny » 02 Jan 2014 19:14

I'll have a go Dave. Thanks

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby sevenseascoaster » 02 Jan 2014 21:34

Must admit Dave you make it sound so easy to do from a phone. Those I saw on board blogging from their I pads, looked a lot easier than doing from the laptop, the way they added pictures so easily and instantly.

I am deliberating at the moment about replacing my tablet (which has just gone wrong, but thankfully still under guarantee and will get money back)

Choices are Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, Lenovo Yoga 8 Tablet, Google Nexus 7. ?????????? any ideas?
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Skier Pete » 02 Jan 2014 23:27

Have you missed out a step Dave?

This one:--

UPLOADING Photos to the gallery (by that I mean Forum gallery. You do say "copy from the gallery")
How long does that take if you don't resize before uploading?
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 03 Jan 2014 00:04

Skier Pete wrote:Have you missed out a step Dave?

This one:--

UPLOADING Photos to the gallery (by that I mean Forum gallery. You do say "copy from the gallery")
How long does that take if you don't resize before uploading?

No Pete, I haven't missed a step.

I was referring to the phone's photo gallery where photos taken on the phone can be viewed and selected. When a photo from the phone's gallery is added to a post the user is given a choice of uploading it to Tapatalk's site or the forum. Whichever is chosen, the photo is resized with no input from the user (it happens in the background) and usually uploads in a few seconds.
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next