Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - I'm going to the Caribbean

I'm going to the Caribbean

Postby Camela » 12 Jan 2019 01:27

Voyager to the Caribbean booked next month. Several ports that Dave visited so need to go back to his review. Wanted to revisit Silversea but their cruises are to/from MIA San Juan. As we do cruise only that makes flights complicated so decided to go Regent once again.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 12 Jan 2019 08:34

Excellent Camela :thumbup:, have a great time and don't forget to tell us all about it on your return. :)
Geoff
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 12 Jan 2019 09:00

Wow! super. :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: I'm going to the Caribbean

Postby Camela » 12 Jan 2019 15:24

23 years ago did our very first cruise in the Caribbean. The port I really wanted to visit then was St Maarten but we had to miss it due to hurricane damage at the quay. Hopefully looking good this time!
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 12 Jan 2019 16:02

Camela wrote:23 years ago did our very first cruise in the Caribbean. The port I really wanted to visit then was St Maarten but we had to miss it due to hurricane damage at the quay. Hopefully looking good this time!

Hi Camela

Until our recent and fourth visit to St Maarten, the island was one of our least favourites in the Caribbean.

On our first visit, we took a taxi to Marigot on the French side. My wife is French by birth and it was great to visit a little piece of France - we went to a restaurant and explored Fort St Louis, which provides amazing views over the town, sea and marina. (In our humble opinion) Marigot is much nicer and more refined than Philipsburg.

On our second visit, we did a beach transfer to Orient Bay. This is a very popular beach and it was crowded and noisy. It's on the Atlantic side and the waves were huge, making swimming difficult and snorkelling impossible. We really didn't like that beach!

On our third visit, we'd forgotten the name 'Orient Bay' and, based on the ship's recommendation for a good beach, we went there again! :shock: It was just as bad as the last time! :roll:

But on our last visit, we went to Pinel Island to the north of Orient Bay and it was idyllic! :thumbup:

One problem with St Maarten (IMO!) is that there are usually seven or so huge ships there, which unload tens of thousands of people. Perhaps that's because St Maarten is one of the closest islands to the USA. Philipsburg is very busy and full of jewellery shops and not very 'Caribbean'.

To quote an ex-contributor... just my opinion! ;)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Booked land-based holidays 2019: April - Surrey, June - Snowdonia, July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 13 Jan 2019 14:07

St. Maarten not one of my favourite destinations, but each to his own. Hope you have a good time and look forward to a review on your return. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Camela » 13 Jan 2019 16:26

I think it's more about the history and the two nation element for me so hope our tour doesn't disappoint.
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Camela » 09 Mar 2019 19:06

Review is pending. I saved a draft, or thought I did and went back and it wasn't there :x Going to Devon next week, then Manchester the following week followed by London and Cotswolds for Mr P's birthday, so it might be a while!!
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England