Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Booked Western Med

Booked Western Med

Booked Western Med

Postby Camela » 07 Mar 2018 22:48

Fans of Silversea, we cruised with Regent last summer on Voyager and weren't disappointed. So looking forward to being on Explorer, their new ship. Especially after the TV programme about her, called the world's most luxurious cruise ship! Includes excursions, WIFI, drinks grats...what's not to like?
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Re: Booked Western Med

Postby Peka » 08 Mar 2018 15:17

Very nice, had a visit on Explorer in September. Beautiful ship, we watched the programme as it was on either just before we visited or just after I can't remember now! The facilities looked great especially if the ship is your destination, I can see people being thoroughly pampered on board.

Our only niggles with the day - the really poor service in the restaurant. It was terribly slow considering the only part of the menu you got to choose was the main you got served everything else whether you wanted it or not! It was very disappointing (a completely tasteless vegetarian option) and the waitress wasn't that happy when I said unfortunately it was pretty bland and not very hot, I did say it was beautifully presented but sadly it was a (small) soggy pastry circle with the most incredibly thinly sliced tomatoes and courgettes and that was it on the huge plate apart from a leaf or two garnishing it. She had messed up everyone's order on the table and tried serving me a steak or lamb shank or something but very good to serve the non meat eater on the table with the meat oh and the fact I didn't have wine seemed to annoy her - she kept telling me it was complimentary, that may be, but if I don't like wine, I don't want it even if it's free! So that experience left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth in more than one way.

The timings were messed up too, I think because of the slow service in the restaurant they had trouble getting everybody off, first the tides changed and the air bridges had to be moved so we were left along with about 100 others in the atrium just hanging around waiting to get off for over half an hour and then they decided to let the new set of passengers on board first. So they were being greeted with glasses of champagne and large number of travel agents and other guests just loitering! Bit of a shame that their first view of the ship was ruined by us!
Peka

Booked: Adriatic 2019 / Black Watch
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Postby Camela » 08 Mar 2018 21:22

I've never been on a ship visit but have come across groups of travel agents on board so I think the staff are promoting everything that's on offer. Obviously their timing was seriously out on the day you visited! I saw the second programme recently not that that was the reason for booking it.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Booked Western Med

Postby tobysgranny » 09 Mar 2018 20:30

Camela wrote:Fans of Silversea, we cruised with Regent last summer on Voyager and weren't disappointed. So looking forward to being on Explorer, their new ship. Especially after the TV programme about her, called the world's most luxurious cruise ship! Includes excursions, WIFI, drinks grats...what's not to like?

Sounds great Camela.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby khkate » 10 Mar 2018 11:20

Well done - what are your ports of call, and when! Let the countdown begin!
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral