Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Crystal Serenity Monaco to Istanbul

Crystal Serenity Monaco to Istanbul

Postby hazel20 » 18 Jun 2015 09:20

I was the Destination Speaker on this cruise and so I am unable to write a review...but I can tell you a few snippets!

I flew to Nice and then took a taxi to Monaco - taxi driver had obviously watched the Grand Prix the day before as he drove on 2 wheels!
The first time I have embarked at a tender port - with my huge suitcase. Thankfully taxi-driver carried my case to the tender and the crew men handled it on for me. One hair-raising moment at the other end - as they were off-loading it, the tender was moving violently and there was a second (that felt like an hour) where my case was suspended over the open sea. Imagine if I had lost it there! Any way all was well.

I had a beautiful stateroom on deck 7. Photos in here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.846167798753886.1073741841.407167229320614&type=3

The ship is beautifully appointed - Serenity is an appropriate name, It always feels spacious and calm. The space ratio per passenger and the crew to pax ratio are far superior to most lines - and it shows.

Service is impeccable - but done with a warm smile and great friendliness. Other lines think that good service means being aloof or subserviant. This was the first ship where I have seen waiters from the UK, USA and Scandavavia. That must say a lot about how good they are to work for and that salaries are competitive.

I enjoyed the dancing in an evening in the Palm Court - this is on deck 12 forward so has great views out during the day and a large dance floor at night. There were 3 dance hosts for most of my cruise

Theatre shows ranged from the Production Company to Roger Wright (Lion King)....one British comedian and one American.

Other speakers were Mark Ginsberg - former US Ambassador to Morocco and Middle East expert; Roberto d'Alimonte - Professor at Florence University who spoke about European issues.

Ports can best be seen through my other photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.847769918593674.1073741842.407167229320614&type=3

Any questions please ask
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
Balmoral - September - Captains in Cadiz
Saga Pearl II - November - Moorish Mediterranean
Balmoral - Jan to March - California and Mexico
Saga Sapphire - May- Canada
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Re: Crystal Serenity Monaco to Istanbul

Postby Hannah » 18 Jun 2015 10:34

All looks super Hazel. As a passenger did your Mum have a great time?
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby hazel20 » 18 Jun 2015 10:43

Oh yes Hannah, she loved it.

We both had passenger status so we received top class treatment. I mentioned the dance hosts, but I should point out that I don't dance with hosts when passengers are wanting to dance

Future Lecture Cruises:
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby JollyJill » 18 Jun 2015 10:48

Thanks Hazel. Although I followed your cruise on FB, it's nice to know that you were well looked after on what seems to be a lovely ship.
I think I can only dream of going on any more luxury cruises because we cruise too often and can't do everything- although we do our best. ;)

The dodgy transfer of your case from the tender could so have ruined everything both for you and for the ship and it's passengers as they would have been without a port lecturer. :shock:

Loved all your photos by the way.

Is Boudicca your next assignment?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby hazel20 » 18 Jun 2015 10:51

Had the suitcase sunk, I would have been able to do my lectures as my netbook is always in my hands!

But I think the clothes I was wearing would have looked a bit shabby by the third day!!

Yes Boudicca is next so I am just finalising those talks - can't practice them at the moment as I have lost my voice.

Future Lecture Cruises:
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby JollyJill » 18 Jun 2015 12:13

Yes Boudicca is next so I am just finalising those talks - can't practice them at the moment as I have lost my voice.

Hope the voice soon returns Hazel. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby hazel20 » 18 Jun 2015 12:26

Me too - not much good as a speaker without it!

Future Lecture Cruises:
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby khkate » 18 Jun 2015 15:29

Some gorgeous photos there Hazel - thank you so much for sharing. Your photos of Santorini and Malta brought back many memories.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Dave » 18 Jun 2015 16:12

Thanks for the "snippets" Hazel. :thumbup:

I think that if we try an 'ultra-luxury' cruise one day Crystal would definitely be our first choice. (You've more than confirmed what I thought after my ship visit to Serenity!)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 18 Jun 2015 17:40

Thank you Hazel for the link to your ports. What a wonderful itinerary and your photos, as usual, are superb. :D

Hope your voice comes back soon for practising the talks for the next cruise. Honey & Lemon my mother used to swear by. I can't stand honey but she would insist how wonderful it was and it is very soothing. :sick:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Next