Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Saga Travel Insurance comes to our rescue

Saga Travel Insurance comes to our rescue

Postby bobbyoscar » 25 Apr 2015 21:57

Now that the Drs have confirmed that the ‘disease’ is back in its box and Andy is fit to travel, I phoned Staysure to inform them that he had had a flare up but that his Drs have confirmed that he is now fit to travel.

Their response was to tell me that they are not refusing to insure him but will now only insure him if all his medical conditions are excluded!

Thinking that this might be a possibility, I had already gone into Saga’s site and had found that they would insure us both with no exclusions and a like for like policy.

I cancelled the policy with Staysure but I hadn’t realised that I would be refunded pro rata which means that the policy cost £165 and I am being refunded £44 and, yes, it does state this in their T & C which I am guilty of not reading carefully enough :oops: .

I quickly paid my new premium to SAGA, an increase of £155 and received my new policy within minutes meaning we can still cruise to The Baltic in August. :clap:

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Saga Travel Insurance comes to our rescue

Postby tomvet » 25 Apr 2015 22:13

Great news Glynis - glad to hear everything is near back on track!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tobysgranny » 25 Apr 2015 22:28

Really good news Glynis.

Joan

Future cruises

Royal Caribbean, T/A, The Brilliance in Of The Seas, October 2016.
Royal Caribbean, Caribbean, Freedom Of The Seas, November, 2016
Royal Caribbean, The Arctic Circle, Serenade Of The Seas, June, 2017
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby octocruiser » 26 Apr 2015 09:26

Hi Glynis

That 'excluding existing conditions' response is one I have met wth so many times. It is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

They really should not get away with it on a policy they have already issued.

I am glad you were able to get fixed up with Saga.

I am not sure you would consider Saga for a future cruise as their ships are very much smaller than the ones you seem to prefer. It is worth bearing in mind for future cruises as they include not only insurance, but chauffeur travel to the port as well as gratuities and as long as they accept you for insurance there are no additional premiums for any condition. You are either in or out.

Alternatively Saga now have a service whereby they book a number of other cruises with other lines and add a package which includes insurance, chauffeur transfers and a Saga rep on board among other things.

So far this covers selected cruises with Fred Olsen, Azamara , Celebrity, MSC and NCL and there may be more to follow. Here is the link if you would like to check it out .

http://travel.saga.co.uk/ocean-cruises/cruise-world.aspx

Alternatively you can send for their Cruise World brochure although at the moment it only goes up to early 2016.

It's not difficult to compare their price for any cruise with the brochure price of the other operator and see just how much you are paying for this extra package. For someone in your situation you might be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 26 Apr 2015 09:42

Kath, I checked Staysure's site on Fri evening when I returned home and got the 'we cannot insure' response, so I was expecting them to up the premium considerably. I was surprised that they would just exclude all conditions. But, just to be on the safe side I then checked with Saga, who we were insured with last year, and no problem.

So whilst I was on the phone yesterday, I also had Saga's site open at the 'buy' page and very quickly hit that button after Staysure's response. It seemed to take ages for the page to change to credit card details and I began to think that a message would come up 'Please call our Office'. Thankfully it didn't and the policy came through within minutes.

As to choosing Saga and its Cruise World brochure, Lesley suggested exactly the same thing to me last night and it is something worth considering for 2017.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 26 Apr 2015 09:54

Glad to hear you are insured for your cruise this summer Glynis. I'm sure you are both very relieved about this. :)

Considering Andy's condition I do think the Saga package that Kath & Lesley have written about would be worth considering for the future. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Hannah » 26 Apr 2015 11:12

I to am pleased you have managed to get suitable Insurance and have your cruise still to look forward to.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 26 Apr 2015 11:23

So glad everything has worked out Glynis for you - one less load of stress for you for your holiday. Don't forget if you ever do decide to use Saga's Cruise World brochure, it can still be booked through Cruise Select as they are now one of the authorised Saga agents. However, first, get your husband home with you and then countdown to your adventure in the Baltics!
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Mungo » 26 Apr 2015 16:06

Insurance has so many loop holes............. :(

Anyway glad all's sorted and you can now look forward to Eclipse. :D
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby octocruiser » 26 Apr 2015 19:37

khkate wrote:So glad everything has worked out Glynis for you - one less load of stress for you for your holiday. Don't forget if you ever do decide to use Saga's Cruise World brochure, it can still be booked through Cruise Select as they are now one of the authorised Saga agents. However, first, get your husband home with you and then countdown to your adventure in the Baltics!

Are you sure about that, Lesley? I know Cruise Select are now agents for Saga cruises, but would they also be able to book the Cruise World programme ?

Have you checked that with them. ? That could be very useful .

Cheers Kath.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England