Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Is insurance compulsory?

Is insurance compulsory?

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby JC-Liverpool » 02 Jul 2015 18:56

Hi all
When they ask you to fill in insurance details on the booking form,I always thought it was,,,although I have seen people on a ship and wondered how they got insurance.

I am on a cruise soon and my insurance runs out half way through the cruise.
I was waiting for my renewal offer to come,it came today,,and I renewed my annual policy.

Weeks ago I filled in my insurance details in my on-line check in with Celebrity,,,I went into my personaliser this afternoon
to put the new ref number in,alongside my old one,,,the same company,,but no facility to do it.

I rang Celebrity to ask what I do....they said......
"It doesn't matter,it's not a requirement of booking..for your own peace of mind,you can give the info to reception on the ship"
So why ask for the details?

I read of someone who sails Grills saying he has insurance with a company who lets you chose what medical conditions to cover,and not cover,,,he left off a heart by-pass,,must have been to save money!!
I had a heart by-pass just over 2 years ago and my annual insurance,,with Diabetes as well was only £270,,for the both of us,I wouldn't risk it.

So what's the point of Cruise Lines asking for your details,,,you could just make things up.
JC
JC-Liverpool
Commander
Commander

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby JollyJill » 02 Jul 2015 19:58

We have often wondered if medical insurance is compulsory when booking a cruise/holiday and if the company you book with ever check the details they ask for.

When we had a problem getting insurance for P for a World Cruise, we decided the cost was just too much and changed a 115 night cruise to a different itinerary that is 76 nights.

Fortunately, P doesn't have any medical conditions to declare and the excessive insurance cost was due to a combination of his age and the length of the cruise.

If he did have a medical condition, I would be very worried about not declaring it because should something happen and he wasn't covered, who knows how much it would cost us?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Is insurance compulsory?

Postby Tiggy » 02 Jul 2015 20:53

Fred Olsen state that it is a condition of the contract that the appropriate level of travel insurance is taken out prior to sailing. On the booking form they ask for the name and policy number and it is highlighted in red on "My Cruises" until the information is provided. ;)
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 02 Jul 2015 21:08

Tiggy wrote:Fred Olsen state that it is a condition of the contract that the appropriate level of travel insurance is taken out prior to sailing. On the booking form they ask for the name and policy number and it is highlighted in red on "My Cruises" until the information is provided. ;)

Yes they do Tig but does anyone actually check the info that we provide?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 02 Jul 2015 21:57

JollyJill wrote:
Tiggy wrote:Fred Olsen state that it is a condition of the contract that the appropriate level of travel insurance is taken out prior to sailing. On the booking form they ask for the name and policy number and it is highlighted in red on "My Cruises" until the information is provided. ;)

Yes they do Tig but does anyone actually check the info that we provide?

I'm not sure that it matters whether they do or do not. As long as they have asked and you have given them an answer they have presumably met their Duty of Care obligations. If you have given incorrect information it is you, not they who will suffer the consequences in the event of a claim.

Most cruise companies we have sailed with have asked for the policy number as a condition of booking.

Our most recent cruises have been with Saga using their included insurance. You give a relatively brief and hassle free summary of any declarable conditions at the time of booking, it is impressed upon you that you will only be covered for what you have declared and are encouraged to ensure that you have made a full declaration. You may get a call back from someone from the insurers afterwards to clarify specific points. You are not obliged to take this insurance and if you don't I think you have to provide details of your alternative policy. I tend to declare every last detail and if any issue however minor arises after booking I inform them. You might as well, because there are no additional premiums to pay - they either accept or refuse you, there is no in between. I would rather be refused at the outset than have a claim rejected because of failing to notify them of an additional condition.

To the initial query there may be companies who do not insist that you have insurance but considering the potentially costly nature of dealing with mishaps at sea anyone who sails without it must be pretty witless or very wealthy.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby avidcruiser » 02 Jul 2015 22:09

The former Kath ;) Who, in their right mind would choose NOT to declare a condition, even if you can pay for helivac and hospital treatment?? :lol:

It's a no brainer IMO, but then some don't use the brain cells that they have when making such rash decisions. :o

Although we have free insurance with our bank account, a recent temporary addition of medication has resulted in a small extra premium, for one of us,and that will drop off the radar very soon. Well worth that little extra and not have to pay stupid rates for helivac and hospital treatment somewhere, unless of course....................your condition cannot be insured because of additional problems which they may choose not to disclose. Hmm!
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Tiggy » 02 Jul 2015 22:30

A colleague was on holiday in the U.S. (not on a cruise) and had to have her appendix out. The medical bill and costs came to just under $100,000. She had medical/travel insurance and was covered for all costs.
I would never travel without insurance and feel that it should be compulsory but would be difficult to police.
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tomvet » 02 Jul 2015 22:53

In my younger more carefree days OH and I were travelling to South Africa and Botswana and I had not taken out insurance and decided that I had spent a fortune on it in the past and never needed it so decided not to bother. We were up at 3am getting ready to go to the airport when I got an attack of the heebeegeebees and went online to purchase it. On the trip I got bitten by a scorpion and was hospitalised for 4 nights. Now the bill came to just €800.00 (so manageable) but did I learn a lesson - don't leave home without it!!!

Can you imagine my horror when my Mom came home from the US and let it slip she 'forgot' to get insurance before she left?!? I often wonder what would happen in the US if you did not have insurance - would they simply throw you out onto the street screaming in pain? Do they have any sort of a public health system at all?
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby Skier Pete » 02 Jul 2015 23:55

JC-Liverpool wrote:Hi all
I read of someone who sails Grills saying he has insurance with a company who lets you chose what medical conditions to cover,and not cover,,,he left off a heart by-pass,,must have been to save money!!
I had a heart by-pass just over 2 years ago and my annual insurance,,with Diabetes as well was only £270,,for the both of us,I wouldn't risk it.

JC

The insurance company I have asks if you want all the declared medical history covered or if you want some conditions left out.

I leave out my Pigment dispersive syndrome ( an eye condition) as it is not treatable.
What's more it isn't on their list of medical conditions, so they end up suggesting alternatives, which aren't the same thing and so I'd be covering a condition I don't have and couldn't claim for.
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Meg50 » 03 Jul 2015 07:47

some years ago we did a P&O fly cruise and there was a member of staff going along the queue at check in at Heathrow collecting everyone's insurance info.

When we went to Ireland last month, I insisted on insurance ( first time we've had to get our own since the bank stopped providing it). If we were only in the UK we would have risked it, but the costs of repatriation bothered me since I don't drive ( the car ins co. were informed too).

I have to be honest - we went for the cheapest, but declared the BP tablets.

ALL the ones I investigated asked, not only about length of trip, destination, medical stuff, but IS IT A CRUISE?
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next