Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Is insurance compulsory?

Is insurance compulsory?

Re: Is insurance compulsory?

Postby octocruiser » 03 Jul 2015 08:48

Meg50 wrote:some years ago we did a P&O fly cruise and there was a member of staff going along the queue at check in at Heathrow collecting everyone's insurance info.

When we went to Ireland last month, I insisted on insurance ( first time we've had to get our own since the bank stopped providing it). If we were only in the UK we would have risked it, but the costs of repatriation bothered me since I don't drive ( the car ins co. were informed too).

I have to be honest - we went for the cheapest, but declared the BP tablets.

ALL the ones I investigated asked, not only about length of trip, destination, medical stuff, but IS IT A CRUISE?

I have read recently - Jeffo post ?? - that insurance companies are distinguishing between cruisers and other holiday makers. I think there are some who always have done this, but it seems to be getting more prevalent.

It is possibly not necessarily that risks to individuals are higher on cruises, but the costs of dealing with them almost certainly are.

Apart from the high cost of getting passengers to hospital from ships the charges by the cruise companies for being confined to the ship's sick bay and any interim treatment while awaiting transfer can be eye-watering.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Meg50 » 03 Jul 2015 09:08

Once upon a time on forums peeps were told when choosing their cruise insurance policy to check that there was a medical amount covered of (can't remember how much) umpteen thousands to cover evacuation - a top of the range policy, rather than a cheapie.

Now the insurance companies are taking the initiative
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 03 Jul 2015 09:31

Tiggy wrote:A colleague was on holiday in the U.S. (not on a cruise) and had to have her appendix out. The medical bill and costs came to just under $100,000. She had medical/travel insurance and was covered for all costs.
I would never travel without insurance and feel that it should be compulsory but would be difficult to police.

I mentioned this before on another topic but it does bear saying again. Last year when out walking a few weeks after Ts operation we met an old friend who lives a few streets away. He took ill while on a cruise and had to be transferred off the ship by ambulance in Florida, spent two weeks in hospital there while it was decided if he had an operation there or home. The insurance company wanted him to come home for it so once his condition stabilised he was then flown home by private ambulance plane to local hospital here. The medical bill was apparently $800,000. The problem was due to an existing condition that had been declared so all expenses covered by his insurance.

Can you imagine getting a bill for that if you hadn't declared. :o
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Peka » 03 Jul 2015 11:55

octocruiser wrote:
Meg50 wrote:some years ago we did a P&O fly cruise and there was a member of staff going along the queue at check in at Heathrow collecting everyone's insurance info.

When we went to Ireland last month, I insisted on insurance ( first time we've had to get our own since the bank stopped providing it). If we were only in the UK we would have risked it, but the costs of repatriation bothered me since I don't drive ( the car ins co. were informed too).

I have to be honest - we went for the cheapest, but declared the BP tablets.

ALL the ones I investigated asked, not only about length of trip, destination, medical stuff, but IS IT A CRUISE?

I have read recently - Jeffo post ?? - that insurance companies are distinguishing between cruisers and other holiday makers. I think there are some who always have done this, but it seems to be getting more prevalent.

It is possibly not necessarily that risks to individuals are higher on cruises, but the costs of dealing with them almost certainly are.

Apart from the high cost of getting passengers to hospital from ships the charges by the cruise companies for being confined to the ship's sick bay and any interim treatment while awaiting transfer can be eye-watering.

Cheers Kath

Argh forum ate my reply....

When I first cruised 5 years ago, I had a basic Europe policy that I had to upgrade to Worldwide to cover Greenland (where in the world is another discussion) but when I called they didn't query whether it was a cruise or not, I just paid the difference and went away happy. A year later when browsing for a new policy I noticed that not all included cruise cover, got my wondering it I was ever truly covered for that first trip.

Now I have suitable policy that I just had to upgrade again for Greenland! I would never go away without cover, to me I always think if I do have cover nothing will happen and if I don't something will! I would rather pay a few pounds extra beforehand than have to pay thousands later now!
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby grannyM » 03 Jul 2015 16:39

Peka wrote:When I first cruised 5 years ago, I had a basic Europe policy

We were more or less the same Peka - had an annual basic Europe policy and it didn't occur to me to enquire. The next time I was renewing I was changing insurers and it quite clearly said on the website 'cruise included'. When I was surfing around different insurance sites this year to try and get travel insurance, following Ts operation last year, most sites either said cruise included or asked the question. So it definitely seems to be something that has to be declared now one way or the other.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tomvet » 03 Jul 2015 17:09

My policy is a basic i.e. does not distinguish if cruise or land based, however, I have added as an optional extra 'cruise connection' but that covers just missed connections between plane and ship, cancelled pre-paid shore excursions, missed ports and even missing the ship. The level of medical cover is the same so whether being on a cruise or not makes no difference just for your €10m medical cover you may just get less medivacs from a ship than if you were on land!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JC-Liverpool » 03 Jul 2015 17:33

tomvet wrote:My policy is a basic i.e. does not distinguish if cruise or land based, however, I have added as an optional extra 'cruise connection' but that covers just missed connections between plane and ship, cancelled pre-paid shore excursions, missed ports and even missing the ship. The level of medical cover is the same so whether being on a cruise or not makes no difference just for your €10m medical cover you may just get less medivacs from a ship than if you were on land!

Hi Tom.
The one i just renewed (Allclear) does not mention cruising,,,,even in the 'Included' or 'Not included' section of the policy.
Most insurance when filling a quote form in, i now find has a tick box on the first page,,,,,saying "inc Cruise".If you don't tick it,it doesn't include cruises.
I assume these companies up the quote price for cruise cover,,,otherwise why ask.
I phoned and asked,,,all Allclear policies cover cruises,,,,,,they also have a Cruise Options extra like you mentioned for missed ports,cabin confinement etc,,,,i didn't take it.

Another thing to look for i believe is repatriation cover.
JC
JC-Liverpool
Commander
Commander

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby GaelSail » 04 Jul 2015 18:18

We have had a cruise company check up on our travel insurance before issuing tickets.
GaelSail
Midshipman
Midshipman

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby JollyJill » 04 Jul 2015 21:07

GaelSail wrote:We have had a cruise company check up on our travel insurance before issuing tickets.

That's interesting, Can you tell us which cruise line please?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby Judy3 » 07 Jul 2015 06:52

I think that when you go to pay the balance of your holiday (cruise, hotel or whatever) if you haven't got adequate insurance than you can't travel you should have to show it with your passport That should also include people coming from other countries to UK for holidays, that would save a lot of money on the health service, and a lot of stress on the friends and relatives that may be called upon to help you.
Judy3
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext