Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Is insurance compulsory?

Is insurance compulsory?

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby Borneo » 07 Jul 2015 10:14

Judy3 wrote:I think that when you go to pay the balance of your holiday (cruise, hotel or whatever) if you haven't got adequate insurance than you can't travel you should have to show it with your passport That should also include people coming from other countries to UK for holidays, that would save a lot of money on the health service, and a lot of stress on the friends and relatives that may be called upon to help you.

Good idea Judy .
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Is insurance compulsory?

Postby Gillzajoker » 07 Jul 2015 14:12

I have cruised with various lines and, although I couldn't swear to it, I believe that most of them asked for insurance details, including the medical emergency phone no. But, having various 'declarables', I certainly wouldn't 'leave home without it'. A downside to living here is that not a lot of Spanish people travel, so their insurance companies do not include all one would wish for. You can't insure directly with a UK company, so have to choose between a few British companies who have branches either here or in Gibraltar. I know that when I first moved here, my worldwide insurance tripled from my UK policy for the same cover, but, as it's necessary, I grin and bear it. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Is insurance compulsory?

Postby Peka » 07 Jul 2015 20:47

:? Every cruise we have had to supply our insurance details and medical emergency number, one of the things you must complete before they'll issue the tickets.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby jocap » 07 Jul 2015 22:09

There's been a lot of chat about this on CC, where Americans believed that it was the law for EU members to take out insurance...but I think it turns out to be a recommendation, not the law. However, most ships sailing from the UK need assurance of insurance, and the details are included on your cruise personaliser.
We followed, with horror, the story of an already ailing woman who took the there and back Caribbean sailing, and who had to leave the ship at Barbados. When her companion realised that she'd been taken to a private hospital, she moved her to the public one, with very poor conditions. This friend was left without any help, and blamed P&O.
In the meantime, the port rep was hunting for them both, but couldn't find them to help, because they'd booked out of the private hospital....it took a couple of days to find each other, and then the cruise reps were able to contact the insurers. It was all on the personaliser.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby SandraDJ » 09 Jul 2015 17:58

I tried to complete the on-line check-in for my September cruise; I filled out my travel to and from the cruise and got to the question about insurance. I couldn't find the details of my insurance, but knew that I had it saved on my office computer. I wasn't able to proceed with the check-in without the number of my policy and the contact phone number, so had to exit and lose the details that I had entered.

I've got the information now, so will have to go back and do it all again!
Booked cruises:

Ovation of the Seas - Inaugural/Maiden voyage round trip out of Southampton - April 2016
Britannia - Southampton to Bermuda (repo) - October 2016
Norwegian Epic - March 2017
SandraDJ
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gemma » 10 Jul 2015 18:45

In Malta insurance is more of a problem as insurance companies hardly ever accept to insure for existing conditions. They say the market is too small. The result. Is that we don't consider cruises to the US
Gemma
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Malta

Previous