Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - My Insurance Has Increased...

My Insurance Has Increased...

Postby jocap » 08 Dec 2015 17:22

I've had my annual thyroid check up, and had 4 blood tests at the same time. They've all come back fine, except cholesterol had risen very slightly. The Dr wasn't concerned, but did wonder whether, because of my age and family background I should start taking statins. We discussed it, and I decided to go on them.
So we decided to tell Staysure, who are insuring us for our month away.
And they've added £100 to my insurance.
This is because I'm taking a preventative medicine. If I'd not decided to take it and become ill, they'd have paid.
If I hadn't declared and become ill, they wouldn't have paid....
Something doesn't add up.... :roll:
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 08 Dec 2015 18:19

jocap wrote:I've had my annual thyroid check up, and had 4 blood tests at the same time. They've all come back fine, except cholesterol had risen very slightly. The Dr wasn't concerned, but did wonder whether, because of my age and family background I should start taking statins. We discussed it, and I decided to go on them.
This is because I'm taking a preventative medicine. If I'd not decided to take it and become ill, they'd have paid.

It proves that it doesn't always pay to be totally honest Jo. That said, my conscience wouldn't let me be anything else when it comes to insurance companies.

I have recently been taken off statins since the goal posts have been moved when deciding who should take them. I am now deemed low risk.

Maybe I should contact my insurance company and tell them. I hadn't even thought about it until I read your post. :oops:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 08 Dec 2015 18:56

Jo, I'm not sure if you remember but it was Staysure that I had the trouble with when Andy was admitted to hospital earlier this year.

I informed them and said that he was now medically fit again to travel and their response was to only insure him with exclusions on all pre existing conditions.

Having pointed out that he had been admitted for his spinal condition and his heart and diabetes were stable, it just did not make sense. I cancelled the policy there and then as there is no way I would travel without all conditions being covered.

Made no difference in the end as we took the decision then to cancel the cruise.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 08 Dec 2015 19:06

jocap wrote:I've had my annual thyroid check up, and had 4 blood tests at the same time. They've all come back fine, except cholesterol had risen very slightly. The Dr wasn't concerned, but did wonder whether, because of my age and family background I should start taking statins. We discussed it, and I decided to go on them.

This is crazy Jo. Staysure were the only company that would insure Tom within a year of his operation. They only asked for an additional £100 to cover that major change. He is also on statins as a preventative medicine but there doesn't seem to be any extra for that. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: My Insurance Has Increased...

Postby khkate » 08 Dec 2015 19:36

I get the impression that generally the travel insurance business as a whole doesn't make sense.

When you book a cruise with Saga and take their included insuirance, they generally cover quite a bit before increasing your premium. If you have your own insurance, they give you a discount on your fare, which is about £50 per person for a 2-week cruise.

I was looking at doing 4-day break to Amsterdam in early 2016 by coach and got a quote from Saga to cover me for those 4 days. The quote came in as £154 for those 4 days - but if I had wanted to have an annual policy just for the Netherlands, I could get one for £315. Now where on earth is the logic in that?
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby octocruiser » 08 Dec 2015 19:43

JollyJill wrote:

It proves that it doesn't always pay to be totally honest Jo. That said, my conscience wouldn't let me be anything else when it comes to insurance companies.

I have recently been taken off statins since the goal posts have been moved when deciding who should take them. I am now deemed low risk.

Maybe I should contact my insurance company and tell them. I hadn't even thought about it until I read your post. :oops:

Actually, when it comes to travel insurance it does not pay to be anything but totally honest . You may think you will get away with a lower premium by not declaring a condition or medication, but should a claim arise it could invalidate the policy, even if the claim arose from a different condition.

Although Saga include the insurance and there are no additional premiums for any specific conditions * * I always ensure that they are notified of everything that is existing at the time of booking as well as updating them on any change, however small that arises after the booking is made.

* *The Saga cruise insurance is based on a group policy and you are either accepted or rejected on the standard policy with no graduated premiums relating to additional conditions and a gratifyingly low bar for acceptance. This has been so refreshing after the way I had had to trawl around to get cover when I was attempting to buy insurance from other companies. This was largely because of the standard rejection levels for certain groups of medication, even though they are
preventative meds and my overall health is pretty stable.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby octocruiser » 08 Dec 2015 19:52

khkate wrote:I get the impression that generally the travel insurance business as a whole doesn't make sense.

When you book a cruise with Saga and take their included insuirance, they generally cover quite a bit before increasing your premium. If you have your own insurance, they give you a discount on your fare, which is about £50 per person for a 2-week cruise.

I was looking at doing 4-day break to Amsterdam in early 2016 by coach and got a quote from Saga to cover me for those 4 days. The quote came in as £154 for those 4 days - but if I had wanted to have an annual policy just for the Netherlands, I could get one for £315. Now where on earth is the logic in that?

As I mentioned in my previous post (Unless things have changed very recently,) Saga never charge you an increased premium on the included Cruise insurance . You are either in or out .

Regarding Saga insurance for other holidays it is a totally different type of policy and the risk is assessed on you as an individual.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby khkate » 08 Dec 2015 19:59

octocruiser wrote:As I mentioned in my previous post (Unless things have changed very recently,) Saga never charge you an increased premium on the included Cruise insurance . You are either in or out .

Regarding Saga insurance for other holidays it is a totally different type of policy and the risk is assessed on you as an individual.

I beg to differ from you there Kath as our friends we go cruising with are always told that they will be covered by Saga' under the included insurance, but they have to pay an extra £50. They are willing to do this, as they would struggle to get comparative cover anywhere else for the same price.

Re Saga insurance for other holidays, I agree that it is done as an assessment on an individual but I am just staggered that for the premium that I would have had to pay for FOUR DAYS, would be half that of having the same policy over a year!! If I had been doing the same trip through Saga - regrettably they don't do a trip at the time of year I wanted - the premium would have been included and about a tenth of that premium.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby JC-Liverpool » 08 Dec 2015 20:03

Hi Jo
Funnily enough,I posted this yesterday on another forum.

"Hi all
I have a big question about travel insurance with declared pre med conditions.......Statins.....
Bare in mind that 40% of the population are advised or take Statins,,,even if you don't suffer from high Cholesterol.

Last week i did 2 dummy req for TA on a repo cruise from the Caribbean.i had to inlcude my Diabetes,CABG,and a Angioplasty on my leg.

I used Moneysupermarket to search.....
There are 2 questions on the proformer re Statins.
(1) Has a doctor ever told you to take medication to lower your Cholesterol?.....i put Yes,,,,although i was not put on it to lower my Cholesterol,,,,,but as a preventative medicine when i had a MI 20yrs ago.

(2) Has a blood test ever shown raised levels of Cholesterol?....i put No.
Even though i put No the conditions listed at the end includes High Cholesterol.....Why,i have never had high Cholesterol,and declared that.

With the above info i got 3 quotes ranging from £1500 to £2500.

I tried again and put NO to both questions,,,,,,,i got a quote from Saga for £450.

I had Annual Ins with RSA for 20yrs a long time ago,,,,,when i mentioned at renewal that a cardiac nurse at a Cardiac rehab class had recommended i take a Statin,,,,bang!!!!!they refused to insure me.,they said due to taking Statins.

Be careful if you take Statins and don't declare because you think its just like taking an asprin (preventative),,,,you may not be covered.
People who take Statins and complain about joint pain,,,the doctor just says,stop taking them.
So whats the big problem with Insurance companies,,,,,and the price difference when declaring them or not"
JC
JC-Liverpool
Commander
Commander

Postby octocruiser » 08 Dec 2015 20:19

khkate wrote:
octocruiser wrote:As I mentioned in my previous post (Unless things have changed very recently,) Saga never charge you an increased premium on the included Cruise insurance . You are either in or out .

I beg to differ from you there Kath as our friends we go cruising with are always told that they will be covered by Saga' under the included insurance, but they have to pay an extra £50. They are willing to do this, as they would struggle to get comparative cover anywhere else for the same price.

Re Saga insurance for other holidays, I agree that it is done as an assessment on an individual but I am just staggered that for the premium that I would have had to pay for FOUR DAYS, would be half that of having the same policy over a year!! If I had been doing the same trip through Saga - regrettably they don't do a trip at the time of year I wanted - the premium would have been included and about a tenth of that premium.

I think that must be something recent , and I am wondering what it could be that leads to the additional premium.

When we first sailed with Saga I rang them first before attempting to make a booking to ask about the conditions of the policy as we had been having big problems with getting insurance elsewhere.

I pointed out that I had a number of chronic conditions involving taking 10 + medications daily. Although Eric at the time had no medical conditions to declare he was then about 85 years old, which alone precluded him from getting cover from most providers elsewhere. I asked if these 2 facts would entail increased premiums. I was told that as long as we were accepted there was no additional premium - we were either IN or OUT. Try also said that as long I could answer Yes to three simple questions we were unlikely to be rejected, although there would be a more comprehensive health check during the booking process .
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next