Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Has anyone used ..........?

Has anyone used ..........?

Postby bobbyoscar » 16 Feb 2016 17:05

Now that we know I can get travel ins as I am no longer 'under investigation', I've spent this afternoon looking for Travel Ins quotes.

The three companies that seem to have no trouble insuring us for all pre existing conditions are:

Saga
Flexicover
and allclear (cruise policy)

We used Saga when we went to the Fjords but they are quoting an extra £160 more than Flexicover and Allclear on a like for like policy.

So, my question dear friends, is has anyone used Flexicover and Allclear? If you have, would you use them again?

Many thanks,

Glyn
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Has anyone used ..........?

Postby khkate » 16 Feb 2016 18:34

I have used All Clear many years ago for OH (I was covered under insurance through work). WE were certainly pleased with them and if we didn't use Saga, this would be a company we would use.

Just a thought though, bearing in mind, your profession- does your trade union offer any preferential travel insurance deals? THat might be worth investigating, although of course Andy might not be covered.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Jimmy the One » 16 Feb 2016 18:47

Might be worth trying Stay Sure we have used them a couple of times :D
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby octocruiser » 16 Feb 2016 19:00

The problem with insurance is that you never know how good they are unless you need to claim!

Also companies do tend to change their underwriters from time to time and terms change, so recent experience of someone having had a claim is probably the best way to compare.

Searching around for insurance is such a pain . I am glad for you that at least you have a choice given your problems over recent times.

I hope you get excellent cover - and that it never becomes necessary to make a claim on it ;) ;)
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Has anyone used ..........?

Postby Hannah » 16 Feb 2016 19:22

I think I have already mentioned before but if it saves someone lots of money then I don't mind repeating. If you are in receipt of a Civil Service Pension having worked for the Civil Service, for £18 per annum you can join Civil Service Pensioners Alliance. They do a very affordable world wide including cruises travel insurance with no pre existing conditions.

They have proved to be an excellent method of cover for myself and husband. You must of worked for Civil Service and be in receipt of their pension. A minefield out there so good luck.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 16 Feb 2016 19:34

Thanks, folks.

Staysure will no longer insure Andy, I tried again today.

I don't have a Civil Service Pension and I have searched for travel insurance thru the NUT and nothing seems available. Unless ....... anyone here knows differently.

Thanks once again.

xx

Kath, there were also others but they wanted almost £900 to cover us for the two weeks :o .
Cruises booked:
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Mungo » 16 Feb 2016 21:32

It's amazing that the NUT offers discounts for all sorts bar travel insurance it seems. :roll:
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby bobbyoscar » 16 Feb 2016 22:12

Having been prompted by a few of you, I decided to check again to see if the NUT do offer discounted travel insurance. They describe it as a 'preferred' partner and a company is mentioned. Unfortunately, they will not cover heart conditions and you can only get a quote by telephoning them, so no idea as to the cost.
Cruises booked:
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby octocruiser » 17 Feb 2016 08:23

bobbyoscar wrote:Thanks, folks.

Staysure will no longer insure Andy, I tried again today.

I don't have a Civil Service Pension and I have searched for travel insurance thru the NUT and nothing seems available. Unless ....... anyone here knows differently.

Thanks once again.

xx

Kath, there were also others but they wanted almost £900 to cover us for the two weeks :o .

I am afraid that with travel insurance once the balance of probabilities is no longer in your favour you sometimes have to bite the bullet and pay the premium. We have paid as much as £1200 for rather less than 2 weeks. If we could get insurance now we would be paying that sort of figure.

That is why finding Saga has been such a boon to us (as long as they will still go on allowing us the included insurance.! ) Once you start adding 1k for insurance to the cost of a cheaper cruise you might as well pay Saga's price and have the security and convenience of the included travel and insurance and being able to book everything with one phone call.

I know that you are much younger than us and it does seem a shame that this has hit you so early . We were still getting annual worldwide cover for less than £200 until we were into our 70s, but then it rocketed and at times was refused altogether by many insurers .

I do hope you find something that meets your needs.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 18 Feb 2016 21:15

Travel Insurance now bought with AllClear (Cruise Policy) which, surprisingly, works out about £25 cheaper than their usual Travel Policy and covers the usual plus extras such as 'confined to cabin'.

I decided to use this company having read lots of reviews, particularly from people who had to make claims and an awful lot were less than complimentary about Flexicover , whereas the opposite was the case for both Saga and AllClear.

Five months to go............................ :thumbup:
Cruises booked:
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next

Return to Insurance