Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Has anyone used ..........?

Has anyone used ..........?

Postby Trace » 18 Feb 2016 22:31

We used Staysure for two years running after I had a kidney out, found them very good. Since then we are on a policy with our bank, HSBC, it's an advance account it seems very good for us.
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 18 Feb 2016 22:48

bobbyoscar wrote:Travel Insurance now bought with AllClear (Cruise Policy) which, surprisingly, works out about £25 cheaper than their usual Travel Policy and covers the usual plus extras such as 'confined to cabin'.

I decided to use this company having read lots of reviews, particularly from people who had to make claims and an awful lot were less than complimentary about Flexicover , whereas the opposite was the case for both Saga and AllClear.

Five months to go............................ :thumbup:

Excellent !! Glad you are sorted . Insurance is one thing you happily pay out money for in the hope that you will never use it. :? A big thorny issue, but you just have to have it .

By the way, does the policy say that you must have an up to date EHIC card alongside the insurance - always assuming you will be in Europe? Many policies do have this requirement.

I was reminded of this the other day when OH's EHIC card fell out of his wallet and I noticed that it expired earlier this year, as had mine. I went online immediately and was able to apply for renewal with cards delivered in about 2-3 weeks . So hopefully we shall have them well in time for our Rivers of France and Spain cruise on Braemar next month.

If anyone else needs to do this remember that they are still free so make sure you use the Official page as there are a number of lookalikes that will charge you for the service.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 18 Feb 2016 22:58

Kath, no it doesn't mention EHIC cards although we do have them.

Strange you should mention them as I reminded Andy this afternoon that we have to renew them early next year.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 19 Feb 2016 09:43

Good to hear you have found insurance that suits you Glynis. So that's another thing ticked off the list now. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Mungo » 19 Feb 2016 10:00

Glad you're sorted Glynis! :D
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jacktar » 19 Feb 2016 13:44

As a recipient of a Civil Service pension, but not a member of the CSPA, this topic is of some interest. I have looked at the CSPA website only to find that Fred Olsen are offering CSPA members a 10% discount on all their cruise fares, wish I had known before I booked!
jacktar
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Has anyone used ..........?

Postby Hannah » 19 Feb 2016 14:34

jacktar wrote:As a recipient of a Civil Service pension, but not a member of the CSPA, this topic is of some interest. I have looked at the CSPA website only to find that Fred Olsen are offering CSPA members a 10% discount on all their cruise fares, wish I had known before I booked!

Once a member of CSPA you will receive a magazine every now and again full of useful advice for pensioners with advice on affordable life insurance, holidays, medical insurance indeed all sorts. OH and I have benefitted from joining. Been well worth £18 pa premium to join.
octocruiser wrote:
bobbyoscar wrote:Thanks, folks.

Staysure will no longer insure Andy, I tried again today.

I don't have a Civil Service Pension and I have searched for travel insurance thru the NUT and nothing seems available. Unless ....... anyone here knows differently.

Thanks once again.

xx

Kath, there were also others but they wanted almost £900 to cover us for the two weeks :o .

I am afraid that with travel insurance once the balance of probabilities is no longer in your favour you sometimes have to bite the bullet and pay the premium. We have paid as much as £1200 for rather less than 2 weeks. If we could get insurance now we would be paying that sort of figure.

That is why finding Saga has been such a boon to us (as long as they will still go on allowing us the included insurance.! ) Once you start adding 1k for insurance to the cost of a cheaper cruise you might as well pay Saga's price and have the security and convenience of the included travel and insurance and being able to book everything with one phone call.

I know that you are much younger than us and it does seem a shame that this has hit you so early . We were still getting annual worldwide cover for less than £200 until we were into our 70s, but then it rocketed and at times was refused altogether by many insurers .

I do hope you find something that meets your needs.

Cheers Kath

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Jeffo » 20 Feb 2016 12:03

The things you learn, just browsing here on our wonderful Cruising Mates ! I receive a Civil Service Pension, but had never heard of CSPA. I've just sent off their application form.
Booked Cruises:
05 December 2017 Braemar - Voyage to the Caribbean back to back with:
21 December 2017 Braemar - Caribbean Christmas and New Year
31 August 2018 Astoria - Poole/Rouen/Honfleur/Poole
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (4), Braemar (6), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1)
Jeffo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 20 Feb 2016 14:57

I would caution anybody taking out travel insurance to take the time to read the conditions and small print. I know it is tiresome, but you might be surprised at what you find. On my annual insurance I am covered for bungee jumping, but not horse, camel or elephant riding(? I know which I would consider the most dangerous). Chris used to enjoy horse riding on holiday and was covered by the insurance policy we then had, but would not be covered with our present policy. Also ensure that the insurance covers you for the entire period of the voyage you are going on - my policy limits me to holidays of up to 30 days (because of my age) although I can extend this by paying an additional fee.

Please don't ever give the Insurance Companies a reason for declining your claim - they will be looking.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Has anyone used ..........?

Postby khkate » 20 Feb 2016 15:25

So glad you are finally sorted Glynis. Flexicover sounds a nightmare.

Re your EHIC cards, they can be renewed up to 6 months before the expiry date, but they don't add any unused time onto the new card. Unlike passports, which can be renewed up to 9 months ahead of expiry, and any unused validity will be added to the new passport.

As Geoff says, one does need to read small print in insurance to ensure that you are covered both for time and for what you want to do. This is especially the case for people who go on cruises - as often the "bog-standard" travel policies do not specify that they cover cruises.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to Insurance