Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Travel Insurance through Bank

Travel Insurance through Bank

Postby judgegeoff » 15 Jun 2016 16:27

When I went to my local Lloyds bank this afternoon the teller, knowing that I travel frequently, asked me if I had considered changing to their Platinum Current Account. This account has several benefits, including AA Breakdown Cover (including Roadside Assistance, Home Start, Relay and Accident Management), Mobile telephone insurance as well as AXA Worldwide and UK Travel Insurance for Chris and myself, up to the age of 80. I have looked at the small print of the Travel Insurance and have found it very similar to my annual Silver Travel Insurance with "Insure and Go" and, in some instances, it is better cover, in that it covers horse, camel and elephant riding! The charge for this card is just £17 per month, a lot less than I am paying for my annual travel insurance alone.

The total benefits of travel insurance. AA breakdown cover and mobile insurance would seem to make this a no brainer, but I cannot help thinking that there must be a snag (there usually is!).

Has any member any experience of this or similar accounts and any knowledge of their performance in settling claims etc please?
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby divingbrit » 15 Jun 2016 16:49

Would be very nice if it covered a cruise, as I am at the moment looking, and the best ( cheapest) which covered cruising in the Caribbean, as a single trip, is working out for both of us, £207 , which many might think very reasonable, but Lynn will be sixty, and I will be 64, both with no medical history.
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 15 Jun 2016 16:54

divingbrit wrote:Would be very nice if it covered a cruise, as I am at the moment looking, and the best ( cheapest) which covered cruising in the Caribbean, as a single trip, is working out for both of us, £207 , which many might think very reasonable, but Lynn will be sixty, and I will be 64, both with no medical history.

I could not see that it excluded a cruise, but I will revisit the small print to check. The teller believed that it did cover cruising but was not 100% sure. My current travel insurance expires next month, so I am very tempted.

My only problem is that I am a great believer in......"If it looks too good to be true then most probably it is too good to be true....etc"!
Geoff

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby divingbrit » 15 Jun 2016 17:58

I could not see that it excluded a cruise, but I will revisit the small print to check

Well I downloaded the full pdf file, (44pages) converted it to microsoft word and then did a text search, cruise not found!
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 15 Jun 2016 18:48

Our travel insurance is with our bank and has been for some years. P says there are no snags and is well worth doing.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 15 Jun 2016 18:57

Our current account which hubbys salary gets paid into is HSBC Advance... Have a few direct debits with it too (tho most of ours are now with Santander) We have travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and car recovery with our Advance account... Have used it last few years... But reading this thread I think I will just give them a call tomorrow to make sure everything is included. I know it was last time I checked. Will let you know if any changes.

Also I think we pay about £15 a month but I will check that too :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 15 Jun 2016 20:15

divingbrit wrote:
I could not see that it excluded a cruise, but I will revisit the small print to check

Well I downloaded the full pdf file, (44pages) converted it to microsoft word and then did a text search, cruise not found!

If it does not mention the word cruise at all it does not mean that it excludes cruises. I would have thought it would specifically say that if it were excluded.

I can't remember any travel policy we have taken out mentioning cruising specifically, and we have always made it clear that we were cruising. I think it is only fairly recently that some companies have wanted you to have specific cruise cover but I don't think all of them do. The only way to find out for sure is to contact the underwriters .

I do know a number of people who have these policies included with their bank accounts and who are adamant that the cover equals independent policies. I only know one couple who have actually made a substantial claim and they were well satisfied with how it was handled . That was with RBS.

As far as the quote goes, divingbrit, it does sound pretty reasonable to me :) Prior to us cruising with Saga and getting the included cover we had paid over £2k for insurance for a two week holiday/cruise to Canada/Alaska .

N. America/Caribbean is the most expensive area in the world to get insurance for.

What would an annual policy cost ?

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 15 Jun 2016 20:20

octocruiser wrote:
divingbrit wrote:

If it does not mention the word cruise at all it does not mean that it excludes cruises. I would have thought it would specifically say that if it were excluded.

I can't remember any travel policy we have taken out mentioning cruising specifically, and we have always made it clear that we were cruising. I think it is only fairly recently that some companies have wanted you to have specific cruise cover but I don't think all of them do. The only way to find out for sure is to contact the underwriters .

I do know a number of people who have these policies included with their bank accounts and who are adamant that the cover equals independent policies. I only know one couple who have actually made a substantial claim and they were well satisfied with how it was handled . That was with RBS.

As far as the quote goes, divingbrit, it does sound pretty reasonable to me :) Prior to us cruising with Saga and getting the included cover we had paid over £2k for insurance for a two week holiday/cruise to Canada/Alaska .

N. America/Caribbean is the most expensive area in the world to get insurance for.

What would an annual policy cost ?

Cheers Kath

Crikey Edna! £2K for insurance. Our worldwide family annual policy is €88,41!! Then again we have a €55,000 excess that is covered by our health insurance.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 15 Jun 2016 20:52

Many thanks for your input everybody. My current insurance doesn't run out for a few weeks yet, so I have time to investigate further and ensure that cruising is covered and that the policy would cover all my needs. :)
Geoff

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 15 Jun 2016 20:55

Crikey Edna! £2K for insurance. Our worldwide family annual policy is €88,41!! Then again we have a €55,000 excess that is covered by our health insurance

But does that cover US/Caribbean, lover boy ?

It's a long time since we were able to get private health insurance :shock: Not sure it works like that over here, anyway.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next