Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Travel Insurance through Bank

Travel Insurance through Bank

Postby tobysgranny » 15 Jun 2016 21:25

We have had this account for years Geoff. Only ever had to claimon my travel insurance once and they reimbursed me without any fuss within a couple of days.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby dst87 » 15 Jun 2016 22:39

I use travel insurance through Nationwide's FlexPlus account which costs £10/mo, and also include full European breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance for my husband and myself. There are a few other minor features (like 3% in-credit interest up to £2,500), but those are the main ones.

I've found them to be very helpful and the policy seems good having read it. I haven't had to claim yet (which is the real test) but when I thought I might have had to claim for cancellation to attend my grandmother's funeral, they were very helpful and it was clear that the claim would be paid as long as I provided the necessary documents, which were all explained to me over the phone.

In addition, I've found Nationwide's customer service to be outstanding, and better than that of the other banks I have dealings with (Lloyds, RBS, and American Express). The FlexPlus account also gives fee-free ATM withdrawals while abroad, which is great for holiday money if you prefer dealing in cash.

They currently have a system where if you sign up and get referred by an existing customer you get £100 each, so if anyone's interested, let me know! :)
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tomvet » 15 Jun 2016 23:11

octocruiser wrote:
Crikey Edna! £2K for insurance. Our worldwide family annual policy is €88,41!! Then again we have a €55,000 excess that is covered by our health insurance

But does that cover US/Caribbean, lover boy ?

It's a long time since we were able to get private health insurance :shock: Not sure it works like that over here, anyway.

Yes it is worldwide travel insurance.

As regards private health insurance, we have community rating whereby the 18 year old that is not likely to see the inside of the hospital pays the same premium as the 88 year old - it can be a bone of contention with students subsidising those who need it most - which is true, but if premiums where tied to risk, we would have students to paying at all and OAPs paying an absolute fortune or more likely not at all, thus clogging the public health system.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 16 Jun 2016 00:03

octocruiser wrote:
divingbrit wrote:
I could not see that it excluded a cruise, but I will revisit the small print to check

Well I downloaded the full pdf file, (44pages) converted it to microsoft word and then did a text search, cruise not found!

If it does not mention the word cruise at all it does not mean that it excludes cruises. I would have thought it would specifically say that if it were excluded.

I can't remember any travel policy we have taken out mentioning cruising specifically, and we have always made it clear that we were cruising. I think it is only fairly recently that some companies have wanted you to have specific cruise cover but I don't think all of them do. The only way to find out for sure is to contact the underwriters .

I do know a number of people who have these policies included with their bank accounts and who are adamant that the cover equals independent policies. I only know one couple who have actually made a substantial claim and they were well satisfied with how it was handled . That was with RBS.

As far as the quote goes, divingbrit, it does sound pretty reasonable to me :) Prior to us cruising with Saga and getting the included cover we had paid over £2k for insurance for a two week holiday/cruise to Canada/Alaska .

N. America/Caribbean is the most expensive area in the world to get insurance for.

What would an annual policy cost ?

Cheers Kath

Ours does with staysure you have to tick the box to say your on a cruise a cruise is classed as any time spent on a boat (their words not mine) of 72 hours or more. You must ensure you tick the box or your not covered says so in small print, here is the crazy part it did not effect the price at all was still the same price. So not sure what the reasoning behind it is unless its different underwriter or something :?
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Re: Travel Insurance through Bank

Postby sevenseascoaster » 16 Jun 2016 06:24

Geoff we have been Insured through our current Bank for several years now, as well as the usual cover for many extra items, it also covers cruising, and much to our amazement, covers both of us for several medical conditions, not normally covered. So Well worth thinking about. It used to be free then went to £10 per month but the latest charge is £17 per month, a bargain compared to current Health Insurers providers. It is with Axa too. Luckily have never had to claim, but I have talked to Axa to make sure everything is covered as we believe.

Worth a try, more money left then for the cruising pot :)
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Jimmy the One » 16 Jun 2016 07:57

We have used our Bank of Scotland Gold account for years it's through Axa costs us £12 a month.Never had to make a claim so don't know how good it is in that respect but we have to tell FO who we are insured with and have had no problem or questions from FO.
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby divingbrit » 16 Jun 2016 08:04

Hopefully Travel Insurance through you Bank, may be very very useful, but have you had a paid for bank account,but never had any benefits from it, now or in the past? When Lynn and I got together seven years ago, she had a bank account which she paid for, and as far as I could see got no benefit from, so I persuaded her that she was wasting money (pay attention Tomvet, as a self proclaimed tight wad, you now have a rival, STW or 'Super Type Wad')
She was told she needed to have a certain bank account to get a mortgagee, not true , claim for all charges has now been raised :geek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/saving/article-3619994/How-claim-compensation-mis-sold-paid-current-account-free.html
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby dst87 » 16 Jun 2016 08:07

divingbrit wrote:Hopefully Travel Insurance through you Bank, may be very very useful, but have you had a paid for bank account,but never had any benefits from it, now or in the past? When Lynn and I got together seven years ago, she had a bank account which she paid for, and as far as I could see got no benefit from, so I persuaded her that she was wasting money (pay attention Tomvet, as a self proclaimed tight wad, you now have a rival, STW or 'Super Type Wad')
She was told she needed to have a certain bank account to get a mortgagee, not true , claim for all charges has now been raised :geek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/saving/article-3619994/How-claim-compensation-mis-sold-paid-current-account-free.html

Sadly I think banks used to mis-sell packaged current accounts (back in the days where they were mis-selling almost everything) and many people signed up to these accounts with no checks that they would even be eligible for some of the benefits they were paying for.

Thankfully this is all different now. Even a few years ago when I signed up I had to go through a document explaining exactly what I'd have to do for each benefit to be active (like notifying of any pre-existing conditions for travel insurance), as well as checking eligibility etc. Of course it made the account opening process in branch take longer, but it's worth it if it stops people ending up with accounts that they can't get value from.
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Jimmy the One » 16 Jun 2016 08:32

Hi Duncan I thought it was a good deal when we changed current accounts it's a joint account and for £12 a month gives us both world wide travel and AA membership and a mobile phone insurance.Where else for £144 a year can you get that kind of cover. :thumbup: :D
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby octocruiser » 16 Jun 2016 08:55

tomvet wrote:
octocruiser wrote:
Crikey Edna! £2K for insurance. Our worldwide family annual policy is €88,41!! Then again we have a €55,000 excess that is covered by our health insurance

But does that cover US/Caribbean, lover boy ?

It's a long time since we were able to get private health insurance :shock: Not sure it works like that over here, anyway.

Yes it is worldwide travel insurance.

As regards private health insurance, we have community rating whereby the 18 year old that is not likely to see the inside of the hospital pays the same premium as the 88 year old - it can be a bone of contention with students subsidising those who need it most - which is true, but if premiums where tied to risk, we would have students to paying at all and OAPs paying an absolute fortune or more likely not at all, thus clogging the public health system.

It's a while since I dealt with Insurance seperately, but I recall that here, world wide does not mean world wide. It only covers The Americas / Caribbean if it is Worldwide INCLUDING Americas/ Caribbean - with a hefty extra premium.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

PreviousNext