Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Travel Insurance through Bank

Travel Insurance through Bank

Postby octocruiser » 16 Jun 2016 09:09

We have never had one of these accounts. When they started offering them many years ago we found that we were only likely to use the travel insurance, the other benefits on offer in those days were superfluous for us. At that time we could get full annual worldwide (including US, etc ;) ) for less that the account charges would be.

When we quite suddenly started getting our premiums loaded for declarable conditions it was too late, because the bank would not have accepted us on standard rates.

We have spent out fairly hefty sums over the years in premiums, but have rarely made a claim. It is one thing you pay for in the hope of never getting anything for your money ;) I have always considered it money well spent - you cannot put a price on peace of mind.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Camela » 16 Jun 2016 09:31

tomvet wrote:
octocruiser wrote:
Crikey Edna! £2K for insurance. Our worldwide family annual policy is €88,41!! Then again we have a €55,000 excess that is covered by our health insurance

But does that cover US/Caribbean, lover boy ?

It's a long time since we were able to get private health insurance :shock: Not sure it works like that over here, anyway.

Yes it is worldwide travel insurance.

As regards private health insurance, we have community rating whereby the 18 year old that is not likely to see the inside of the hospital pays the same premium as the 88 year old - it can be a bone of contention with students subsidising those who need it most - which is true, but if premiums where tied to risk, we would have students to paying at all and OAPs paying an absolute fortune or more likely not at all, thus clogging the public health system.

but one day that student is going to be the 88year old :)
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Re: Travel Insurance through Bank

Postby Carwalsick » 16 Jun 2016 11:57

We've had travel insurance linked to our Lloyds bank account for many years. I'm fortunate in having free banking but even if I paid it would only be £12 per month for the pair of us. We're making the best of it for the remaining few years up to our 80th birthdays. We only claimed once and it was hassle free.
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Travel Insurance through Bank

Postby khkate » 16 Jun 2016 18:22

One of the things you have to watch out for, for any travel insurance policy is whether it covers multi-destination holidays, which inevitably a cruise does - and that it will cover you for all the countries you are visiting on a cruise - apparently, this can differ from policy to policy. Also, under the cover, you need to check whether you are covered for evacuation by helicopter/air - as this can often happen if on a cruise, but not so likely for a land-based holiday.

Many moons ago, we had a bank account with things included, but found that the list of exclusions was so vast, it wasn't worth having, and also we could get them cheaper elsewhere. Also, for a bank account, unless your account is in joint names, make sure that the cover isn't just for the account holder - this is another way they can sting you.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby divingbrit » 16 Jun 2016 18:46

unless your account is in joint names, make sure that the cover isn't just for the account holder - this is another way they can sting you.

The cover in question, does state in their 44 pages, that a 'partner can be included ' for a fee
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Jul 2016 10:59

Just an update. Chris and I have upgraded our Lloyd's Bank current account from classic to platinum and now have annual travel insurance with AXA as well as AA cover and mobile phone insurance. It took a fair degree of arranging - a two hour interview at the bank and a 28 minute phone call 48 hours later, but we have now received our new debit cards.

Both Chris and I have medical issues, so have had to pay an additional annual fee of £115 to cover these conditions, giving a total of £319 for the year's cover. For the benefits offered (travel insurance, AA cover and mobile phone insurance) I believe that this is excellent value although, of course, I hope that we never have to claim on it.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 24 Jul 2016 11:07

Geoff, that does seem a reasonable amount considering both your health issues and what else is covered as well as Travel Insurance.

We are currently paying around £250 with Staysure because of an additional £100 from T's Aortic Aneurysm operation 2 years ago. No doubt it will be even more for next renewal in January because of another age increase. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby divingbrit » 01 Feb 2017 11:44

Returning to an old topic

Its now less than a year to our cruise, and its time to make some real decisions, and Travel Insurance is top of the list. Done the usual checked Moneysupermarket, gocompare etc etc. And to be honest not the easiest of things, as the first number is never the final amount.
But, read a post ( in fact read many) and it was mentioned that Nationwide Flexi-account, has a travel option, never knew that, and it is only for those who had started their account pre December 2016, which I had, when I started saving for the cruise.
Could well be a winner :-)
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 10 Feb 2017 18:56

divingbrit wrote:Returning to an old topic

Its now less than a year to our cruise, and its time to make some real decisions, and Travel Insurance is top of the list. Done the usual checked Moneysupermarket, gocompare etc etc. And to be honest not the easiest of things, as the first number is never the final amount.
But, read a post ( in fact read many) and it was mentioned that Nationwide Flexi-account, has a travel option, never knew that, and it is only for those who had started their account pre December 2016, which I had, when I started saving for the cruise.
Could well be a winner :-)

Just make sure that it covers cruising as some policies don't. Stay sure I think it is I use wont cover you for a cruise unless you tick the box that says includes cruise even although the policy is exact same price and covers/excludes the same things.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby divingbrit » 11 Feb 2017 09:12

Yes. clearly states it covers cruising and did check it was Caribbean /USA.
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext