Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Walking Aids

Walking Aids

Walking Aids

Postby tobysgranny » 16 Sep 2018 17:22

I'm seriously thinking about getting a rollator to help me when I am out and about(I can have a little sit down when I need it) as well as a mobility scooter. I know I can't take a mobility scooter on board Cunard but do you know if there would be any problem taking a rollator on board.

Joan

PS I had a lovely surprise yesterday when I received my blue badge in the post. At last I have my independence back.
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Walking Aids

Postby bobbyoscar » 16 Sep 2018 17:50

Hi Joan,

I belong to a disabled cruising forum on f/bk, so have scrolled back thru posts for you regarding Cunard. Everyone says that they are allowed without an accessible room but I would suggest you contact Cunard yourself to confirm as you wouldn't want to turn up with one to be told that it's not allowed.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Walking Aids

Postby tobysgranny » 16 Sep 2018 21:36

bobbyoscar wrote:Hi Joan,

I belong to a disabled cruising forum on f/bk, so have scrolled back thru posts for you regarding Cunard. Everyone says that they are allowed without an accessible room but I would suggest you contact Cunard yourself to confirm as you wouldn't want to turn up with one to be told that it's not allowed.

Thanks I will do that.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Walking Aids

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 19 Sep 2018 07:59

Joan you don't need a mobility/assessible cabin but you must tell them that your bringing one my dad takes his or he did doubt he be crusing again to be honest. Also you cannot sit on it when on board ship you can use it for walking but must not sit on it. Its in case they hit strong currents and boat rocks and you fall i assume. Also you must store it in your cabin as the hallways and corridors must remain clear. One time i was RCI you would have thought several people had missed that memo wheelchairs and mobility aids everywhere i tripped over the same wheelchair twice that some clown left hiding just around a corner. The second time a cabin steward saw it and it was never there again after that so i assume they had a word with the person
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Walking Aids

Postby tobysgranny » 23 Sep 2018 00:03

sparkiethecruiser wrote:Joan you don't need a mobility/assessible cabin but you must tell them that your bringing one my dad takes his or he did doubt he be crusing again to be honest. Also you cannot sit on it when on board ship you can use it for walking but must not sit on it. Its in case they hit strong currents and boat rocks and you fall i assume. Also you must store it in your cabin as the hallways and corridors must remain clear. One time i was RCI you would have thought several people had missed that memo wheelchairs and mobility aids everywhere i tripped over the same wheelchair twice that some clown left hiding just around a corner. The second time a cabin steward saw it and it was never there again after that so i assume they had a word with the person

Hi Donna,

I’m planning to take my rollator on QV in November. Do I have to inform Cunard that I am taking it on?

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Walking Aids

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 25 Sep 2018 10:14

tobysgranny wrote:
sparkiethecruiser wrote:Joan you don't need a mobility/assessible cabin but you must tell them that your bringing one my dad takes his or he did doubt he be crusing again to be honest. Also you cannot sit on it when on board ship you can use it for walking but must not sit on it. Its in case they hit strong currents and boat rocks and you fall i assume. Also you must store it in your cabin as the hallways and corridors must remain clear. One time i was RCI you would have thought several people had missed that memo wheelchairs and mobility aids everywhere i tripped over the same wheelchair twice that some clown left hiding just around a corner. The second time a cabin steward saw it and it was never there again after that so i assume they had a word with the person

Hi Donna,

I’m planning to take my rollator on QV in November. Do I have to inform Cunard that I am taking it on?

Joan

Never travelled with cunard but we always have with Fred and only time we had an issue was when we booked in the wheelchair that time for shore use. Even although we had all the paperwork in hand they kept insisting he coudn't take it on board. I mean i only spent an hour on the phone and a week sending paperwork back and forward two hours it took me to work out how to measure it lol. It was just human error as it even said on his cruise card that he had wheelchair for shore use and Fred made good but I don't think its something they would ever forget :lol:

Im not sure if you actually have to we just always have as they need to make staff aware of how many people with restricted mobility is on board.

sorry for not replying sooner been a bit pre occupied
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Walking Aids

Postby tobysgranny » 25 Sep 2018 13:34

Thanks Donna.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral