Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Postby Jeffo » 17 Feb 2015 13:01

Just found out that Post Office Travel Insurance no longer include Cruises in their standard cover. You have to specify it as an additional option like skiing, weddings etc. I'm sure the competition are or will be doing it as well. I have a friend who has experienced a large difference in the premium as a result. Hooray for Saga Cruises, with travel insurance included in the fare.
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (5), Braemar (9), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1) Astoria (1)
Jeffo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Travel Insurance

Postby toptraveller » 17 Feb 2015 15:00

Many insurance companies exclude cruising or charge an extra premium, in part because of the potentially high cost of airlifting a passenger off the ship.

Whilst Saga does include insurance, as well as door-to-door transport, they can be considerably more expensive than other cruise lines, so unless you live some distance from the cruise terminal it can be cheaper to book with another cruise line and pay for the other bits yourself. We were on a Saga cruise last year and the equivalent seven-night cruise on P&O was £400 per person cheaper and, of course, on a more modern ship.

My wife and I have a world-wide (including USA) annual insurance policy that offers top rate benefits and includes cruising for around £120 for the two of us, but there were policies with lower benefits for less than £100.

It pays to shop around on the price comparison websites.
Last edited by toptraveller on 17 Feb 2015 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
toptraveller
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Travel Insurance

Postby adogap » 17 Feb 2015 15:11

Thanks for raising this Jeffo. I confess that up until recently travel insurance is something I have been quite lackadaisical about, to the extent that one year I nipped into Tesco en route to the airport and bought it at the till for a few quid. To this day I have no idea what it covered us for! Very recently Kath (octocruiser) suggested I take a look and find out what our insurance includes. Several policies do not provide cover for USA, Canada or Caribbean, and I was surprised to learn our policy does not cover us for more than 30 nights away. We have booked a 32 night cruise in November this year so thanks to Kath I now have proper cover in place. Reading the fine print is tedious but worth taking time to do.
BTW, do Saga give a discount to anyone who has their own insurance?

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Travel Insurance

Postby toptraveller » 17 Feb 2015 15:27

adogap wrote:BTW, do Saga give a discount to anyone who has their own insurance?

Chris

Hi Chris, according to Saga's website you can get a discount if you don't take their insurance, which they term as optional. However I think this may mean it's included unless you tell then otherwise.
toptraveller
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Travel Insurance

Postby Dave » 17 Feb 2015 15:35

I hesitate to post on a topic about travel insurance because it's one of those things I leave to my wife. :oops:

Not long ago we upgraded our Nationwide FlexAccount to a FlexPlus Account. It costs £10 per month / £120 per year.

For that, we get a range of benefits including Breakdown Cover, Mobile Phone Insurance, Travel Disruption Cover, and... Worldwide Travel Insurance.

I've studied the Terms & Conditions carefully and I can see no exclusion for cruises. (An optional upgrade is available for holidays longer than 31 days but we won't need that unless we do another Grand Voyage.)

As a matter of interest, anyone over 75 can pay an additional premium of £50 to get the travel insurance (cover is subject to medical screening).
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby khkate » 17 Feb 2015 15:46

Just to highlight that Saga DO give you a discount on your cruise price if you have alternative insurance. When you are making a booking over the phone, they quote the price with and without the included insurance and you can then decide whether you want the insurance or not. Also, in the brochures, ibeneath the price panel for each cruise, it does actually say in bold "There is an insurance opt out price reduction of £xx (relevant amount) available if you do not need Saga's included insurance and additional cancellation cover. The price difference is about £40 for a 7-night cruise and £53 for a 2-week cruise.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Travel Insurance

Postby JollyJill » 17 Feb 2015 15:55

I have always assumed that our worldwide travel insurance courtesy of the Halifax, covers us for cruises. I shall now check as I can see no mention of cruises in the policy book.

I know that we have to take out a new policy for our world cruise next year and that Halifax don't do a policy to suit our ages or where we are going.

Any advice would be welcome but I'm off to do some research.

Thanks for raising the subject Jeff.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Travel Insurance

Postby JollyJill » 17 Feb 2015 16:20

Dave wrote:I hesitate to post on a topic about travel insurance because it's one of those things I leave to my wife. :oops:

Not long ago we upgraded our Nationwide FlexAccount to a FlexPlus Account. It costs £10 per month / £120 per year.

For that, we get a range of benefits including Breakdown Cover, Mobile Phone Insurance, Travel Disruption Cover, and... Worldwide Travel Insurance.

I've studied the Terms & Conditions carefully and I can see no exclusion for cruises. (An optional upgrade is available for holidays longer than 31 days but we won't need that unless we do another Grand Voyage.)

As a matter of interest, anyone over 75 can pay an additional premium of £50 to get the travel insurance (cover is subject to medical screening).

We have a similar arrangement with the Halifax. I have just phoned them to make sure that we are covered for cruises and we are.

Now I have to find insurance for our world cruise.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby dst87 » 17 Feb 2015 16:23

I, like Dave, use Nationwide's FlexPlus account for the various insurance benefits it's provides.

Great service, and excellent value for money.
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Travel Insurance

Postby Barry » 17 Feb 2015 16:32

Be warned SAGA will not cover everybody, they were very quick wanting to cancel one of our cruises and would then not insure us :!: As it was they did us a favour, we are insured elsewhere through retirement association :!: We've made our money back and more by NOT having SAGA insurance :?:
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Next