Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby MaggieM » 19 Feb 2015 16:55

Thanks Maggie.
The problem seemed to be a combination of 115 days and P's age. I could get cover easily enough.

Sometimes, things happen for a reason and at least we have another great cruise to look forward to.
Fred Olsen's policy is that you can move your deposit to a different cruise provided the fare it is at least 75% of the original booking.
They also charged us £100 pp for the privilege but hey ho, nobody died and it will teach us to look at the insurance details more closely in future.[/quote]

That's good Jill and a good way to look at it. As you say nobody died. Look forward to now and chillout. :)
MaggieM. x
MaggieM
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Travel Insurance

Postby judgegeoff » 19 Feb 2015 18:40

The day before yesterday I phoned my travel insurance company to see how much it would cost to extend my cover for a particular risk. The operative quoted me £84 which even he thought was excessive. He said he would input it into their computer and this time it came up with £29.50. As he could not explain the difference he said that he would check it again with his supervisor and ring me back that night - he didn't!

I waited until late yesterday afternoon and then phoned the insurance company. A different operative checked for me and this time came up with £50.63. She was unable to tell me why it all three quotes were so different, but was adamant that hers was the correct one. I gave up at this point.

Insurance companies, don't you just love them?
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Travel Insurance

Postby tomvet » 19 Feb 2015 20:03

judgegeoff wrote:The day before yesterday I phoned my travel insurance company to see how much it would cost to extend my cover for a particular risk. The operative quoted me £84 which even he thought was excessive. He said he would input it into their computer and this time it came up with £29.50. As he could not explain the difference he said that he would check it again with his supervisor and ring me back that night - he didn't!

I waited until late yesterday afternoon and then phoned the insurance company. A different operative checked for me and this time came up with £50.63. She was unable to tell me why it all three quotes were so different, but was adamant that hers was the correct one. I gave up at this point.

Insurance companies, don't you just love them?

Had a similar experience with Costa cruises over a suspected schedule change. Three agents gave me three different answers none of which agreed with my suspicion and when asked to double check they all insisted they were correct. Despite I having info to the contrary - they were still claiming they were correct. Finally got confirmation that my suspicions were correct and all 3 were WRONG!

What does one do when they are misinformed by a cruise line and act on this misinformation - what comeback do you have except a shrug of the shoulders and a half hearted apology from the cruiseline!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Travel Insurance

Postby Barry » 19 Feb 2015 21:22

judgegeoff wrote: ..... Insurance companies, don't you just love them?

Some yes, others no :evil:

Sometimes they just cannot make their minds up ..... until it comes to making a claim, then and only then do you find out if they're any good :!:

Luckily rarely had to make a claim, but one of the best was Iceland :shock: we bought a freezer from them years ago and it broke down after about three years, engineer came, said it was a new condenser needed, fitted it, emptied all the (ruined) food into a bin, worked out how much the food had cost, a few days later we got a cheque for the full amount, no messing :!:
Last edited by Barry on 19 Feb 2015 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Tiggy » 19 Feb 2015 22:55

Aw, Jill, sorry to hear about the insurance problems resulting in you having to cancel the worldie - what a shame. But pleased to see you have the next best thing - a grand voyage on your favourite ship. It will be wonderful.
I better check my travel insurance now to see exactly what we're are covered for. ;)
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 19 Feb 2015 23:01

Tiggy wrote:Aw, Jill, sorry to hear about the insurance problems resulting in you having to cancel the worldie - what a shame. But pleased to see you have the next best thing - a grand voyage on your favourite ship. It will be wonderful.
I better check my travel insurance now to see exactly what we're are covered for. ;)

Thanks Tig. We are resigned now and looking forward to our Grand Voyage on Boudicca, which I know will be wonderful. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Hannah » 20 Feb 2015 18:48

Just had a look at the itinerary sounds fab. Sadly as we have found Insurance is a nightmare when you get older and have major medical conditions. Not a problem when you are fit and healthy but can be a deal breaker when you are not.So pleased you have now resolved the issue. Am having a recent relapse myself so dreading finding suitable medical cover for our April trip.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 20 Feb 2015 19:08

Hannah wrote:Just had a look at the itinerary sounds fab. Sadly as we have found Insurance is a nightmare when you get older and have major medical conditions. Not a problem when you are fit and healthy but can be a deal breaker when you are not.So pleased you have now resolved the issue. Am having a recent relapse myself so dreading finding suitable medical cover for our April trip.

Staysure Insurance ( http://www.staysure.co.uk ) seem to be more sympathetic to people with health problems than many other companies, so might be worth trying them.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 20 Feb 2015 19:15

Hannah wrote:Just had a look at the itinerary sounds fab. Sadly as we have found Insurance is a nightmare when you get older and have major medical conditions. Not a problem when you are fit and healthy but can be a deal breaker when you are not.So pleased you have now resolved the issue. Am having a recent relapse myself so dreading finding suitable medical cover for our April trip.

Really sorry to hear that Shirley and hope that you can get the necessary insurance for the April trip. How many days will it be for?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby jocap » 20 Feb 2015 22:38

We've also used Staysure with few problems....but we've just booked a cruise for 28 days with the Co-op (Cumbria Cruises), and had a very good offer with them for insurance....both of us over 70, and it's usually Gavin's diabetes which bumps up the cost. We expected it to be high because they treat the Caribbean as America, but I think it's because we have other insurance with the Co-op that this offer has been made.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext