Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Postby avidcruiser » 20 Feb 2015 23:35

We've always been very happy with our current account's free worldwide travel insurance but in 2011, as a result of a hospital admission just before we were due to leave on a cruise, we had to make a claim and there was no problem as all conditions had been fully disclosed and were covered. We were fully reimbursed apart of course from the excess on any policy.

However, this is where I don't get the logic applied by insurance companies. Our annual insurance has to be updated every year if anything new has appeared. Some months before we had booked a cruise and then I was diagnosed with a trapped nerve in my arm which necessitated just 4 hours in hospital as a day case. In no way did this need us to cancel our cruise as it was still some months away and the minor op sorted the problem.

However, when the time came to renew our annual insurance I decided to say that I had had this problem, which now no longer existed, but the computer said that I had neuralgia. No, I may have had neuralgia but my diagnosis was a trapped nerve which I now no longer had. They still decided that, although our cruise was still some months away and that I had no further problems, and had been discharged from any further appointments, as the op was successful, that they would charge me a little extra..................just for telling them it seems!!!

The cost was not very much, it is the fact that those at the end of a telephone line are NOT medically trained and can only answer to a set script or computerised questionnaire. There is no common sense involved nor logic. I paid the small excess as no doubt if I had fallen and broken a limb it would have been because I had had a trapped nerve released months before!!!! :roll: :lol:

Some people travel extensively and do not disclose a problem and just take the risk that all will be OK; why do so when the cost of cover for that condition is peanuts when taking an expensive holiday; far less than the cost of an expensive repatriation. As I have often said, common sense can be learned BUT, stupid is forever.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Travel Insurance

Postby Barry » 21 Feb 2015 00:47

Ahhhhh common sense and people thinking for themselves, logic and intelligence, things often missing these days :roll:

"I've had my appendix removed" ooooh that's a surgical procedure, double the premium or don't offer insurance at all, despite the fact that once the appendix has been removed it cannot cause any further problem :!: huh, what do you know :!: total rubbish, you may wish to note at this stage, I am not impressed with SOME insurance companies :evil:

I do like our current insurance company, who have a good track record regarding claims etc there are a number of glowing testimonials regarding the cover and not a single complaint, the ONLY condition is "you must not travel against Drs advice, otherwise, you're covered" at last a common sense approach :!:
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Travel Insurance

Postby Jeffo » 21 Feb 2015 09:36

Barry wrote:I do like our current insurance company, who have a good track record regarding claims etc there are a number of glowing testimonials regarding the cover and not a single complaint, the ONLY condition is "you must not travel against Drs advice, otherwise, you're covered" at last a common sense approach :!:

What's their name Barry ? I'm collecting recommendations ready for when my annual cover ceases.
Booked Cruises:
05 December 2017 Braemar - Voyage to the Caribbean back to back with:
21 December 2017 Braemar - Caribbean Christmas and New Year
31 August 2018 Astoria - Poole/Rouen/Honfleur/Poole
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (4), Braemar (6), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1)
Jeffo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Travel Insurance

Postby adogap » 21 Feb 2015 10:26

Travel insurance where medical history is disregarded (MHD) normally applies to large group schemes. i.e. many any retired police officer associations have negotiated excellent travel insurance for their members. Providing a GP has not advised against travel you are covered regardless of medical history. There is usually an upper age limit of 85. If you or your partner belong (or are eligible to join) such a scheme it may be worth checking to see if travel insurance is included.

Chris
Xmas, Queen Victoria, Dec. 2017
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Travel Insurance

Postby Barry » 21 Feb 2015 10:36

Jeffo wrote:
Barry wrote:I do like our current insurance company, who have a good track record regarding claims etc there are a number of glowing testimonials regarding the cover and not a single complaint, the ONLY condition is "you must not travel against Drs advice, otherwise, you're covered" at last a common sense approach :!:

What's their name Barry ? I'm collecting recommendations ready for when my annual cover ceases.

It's THIG, The Insurance Group, a group scheme for NARPO members only unfortunately. National Association of Retired Police Officers. It is an excellent scheme, there is no upper age limit as long as you join before you are 90 and continue your membership annually! No medical info required, as I said earlier the ONLY thing is you must not travel against medical advice.
I suggest anyone who is an member of an association/group/union or work retirees etc check to see if they have a group scheme. My fishing buddy, who I used to work with, suggested the 'federation' (we weren't allowed a union) so I contacted them first but was told NARPO was actually a cheaper better scheme!
I'd actually forgot/overlooked NARPO, should have done it a few years ago when it first started :oops:

So I may not be of much help Jeff, but think about anything work or association linked as a possibility :idea:
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Travel Insurance

Postby Jeffo » 21 Feb 2015 11:26

Thanks for that Barry - you've reminded me of my CSMA membership (Civil Service Motoring Association), and it entitles me to discounts with LV insurance. Right they are on the list now, so thanks.
Booked Cruises:
05 December 2017 Braemar - Voyage to the Caribbean back to back with:
21 December 2017 Braemar - Caribbean Christmas and New Year
31 August 2018 Astoria - Poole/Rouen/Honfleur/Poole
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (4), Braemar (6), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1)
Jeffo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby Fossil » 21 Feb 2015 13:50

For NARPO members another good travel insurance is offered by Waltham Travel Insurance. Last year I paid £134 for yearly world wide travel/cruise insurance for the wife and myself.
Regarding LV if you have more than one insurance with them you get an extra 5% off. We have our bungalow and car insurances with them and whilst each year I try to beat their premiums, I never can. Certainly with the combination of NARPO and CSMA I save a considerable amount making the pension go that little bit further. ;)
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Travel Insurance

Postby octocruiser » 21 Feb 2015 15:14

Sasly, none of these avenues would have been open to us when younger, and certainly not now.

However, it brought to mind an acquaintance who said that he had travel insurance included with his house and contents policy. I queried this and he was adamant that it was so. From memory it was Co-op but I could be mistaken on that. He was into his 80s when he had an accident abroad involving surgery and repatriation by ambulance as there was among other things a broken leg in plaster involved.

I asked him some time later how the insurance had worked out and he said it could not be faulted. Everything had been dealt with and paid for to his full satisfaction.

Another avenue to explore ??

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Hannah » 21 Feb 2015 23:04

Unfortunately with a reoccurrence of cancer not so easy.Am hospitalised currently with more chemo planned
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 21 Feb 2015 23:13

Hannah wrote:Unfortunately with a reoccurrence of cancer not so easy.Am hospitalised currently with more chemo planned

Hope you are in good spirits and all is going well, sending you a hug xxx :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext