Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby tomvet » 09 Jan 2018 23:36

Two possible reasons:

Fertiliser
or they may be just 'ugly fruit' that are perfectly fine but people wont pay the top price for them coz their exactly that so are not worth 50 p each.
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 10 Jan 2018 15:58

Today's walk was a similar distance to yesterday's, but I headed west along the coast instead of east.

There are no seaside towns in that direction, just flat reclaimed marshland and mudflats that are a haven for birds. I came across a few boats that looked abandoned (or at least the worse for wear), and I think this one made a nice picture. :D

At Faversham, I headed inland and did a loop back along country lanes and across farmland. Passing through a large fruit farm I noticed strawberries - both green and red. I didn't know they fruited in January. Now I can resurrect 'Crop of the Day'. ;)

And here's another crop, which I've only recently discovered to be turnips. Turnips seem to cover half the arable land in Kent at the moment.

There are many lovely villages in this area. This is Hernhill, with a pub (white building, centre) called... yes, The Red Lion. I still haven't found out why half the pubs in Kent share the same name!

Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 31 Jan 2018 18:19

It's been three weeks since my last contribution so another is long overdue... ;)

One of the joys of walking for me is setting and (hopefully) meeting targets. Mine are as follows: 500,000 total steps and 200 miles of planned walks in a calendar month.

January was always going to be a tough month and that's how it turned out, partly because we were still on our Christmas holiday for the first few days, and partly because the poor weather has meant that much of the time with my grandchildren has been spent indoors or driving somewhere instead of long walks to and from play-parks.

With two days of January to go, I was only a few miles short of the 200 target but I still needed to do about 80,000 steps (that's about 44 miles worth). So yesterday I did just over 21.6 miles and today I managed an identical distance (on a completely different route and give or take a few yards!). Checking the steps count this afternoon I discovered that I was still nearly 1,500 steps short of the magic 500,000, so after my very late lunch I went for a walk around the block - and now I've got 500,922 steps for January! :D

It rained on and off today but I took a few photos anyway...

I walked to Canterbury and out the other side to take some paths that I've not travelled before across farmland to Chartham. Chartham is on the River Stour and there are a number of mills - including the paper mill (shown below). Despite the crumbling façade, it's still in use. I hope some renovation is carried out soon because I really like the Art Deco(ish) architecture.

This is the rather quaint level crossing in Chartham with good-old-fashioned gates:

Leaving Chartham behind, I headed up to one of my favourite stretches of path - a section of the North Downs Way. There was a downpour just before I had to go up and across this muddy field so I'd put on my overtrousers, but a few miles later the sun came out and I had to take them off again. I like sun and I like rain... just as long as it's one or the other all day!

There now follows three photos of the bits I like along this route (I've posted similar photos before!)...

The reindeer at Chartham Hatch:

The ancient and atmospheric No Man's Orchard:

And the site of an Anglo Saxon hill fort called Bigbury Camp:

The weather yesterday was very different. It was very cold at first but the sky was cloudless all day. My walk was through farmland and woods near Canterbury, then across to Reculver and returning along the coast.

There are a couple of lambs in this field and one looked very young. I saw another very young lamb the other day and I wondered how well they cope with freezing weather. (Although I'm sure someone will explain that they're sheep and are designed for the cold!)

This is a fallen tree near Blean Woods. I thought it looked good, so I took a photo...

And this is Herne Mill...

Finally, a couple of photos from a walk last week.

I bought some new overtrousers a few weeks ago but, contrary to popular belief, it rarely rains in the UK. Okay, I'm sure it rains a lot in the rest of Britain, but it rarely rains in North Kent! Anyway, I was excited to see the weather forecast was predicting rain all day, although I was less excited by the prospect of the accompanying 50 mph winds that were forecast.

I decided to make the most of the weather by walking west into the wind inland along country lanes with the shelter of hedgerows...

...and returning east along the exposed marshy coast with the wind behind me. It was quite a good plan except that for a while I found it impossible to walk along the top of the dike (left in the photo) because the wind was blowing me off. However, it was quite sheltered at the bottom...

That was a good walk, spoiled only by one of those 'doggy incidents' to which I seem all too prone! :cry:
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 01 Feb 2018 00:22

(Although I'm sure someone will explain that they're sheep and are designed for the cold!)

SOrt of Dave! Most animals do cold very well, it is windchill and wet that makes the difference. That is why shelter even if it is only a hedge (i.e. windbreaker) is very important.

If the windchill is great lambs will lie down wind of their more woolly mothers.

They survive snow very well if you just assess the cold temp element of it - the problem with snow is that it covers the vegetation and they cannot access food. So its starvation that gets sheep on the mountains in snowy weather not the cold.
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

The Joys of Walking!

Postby judgegeoff » 01 Feb 2018 08:32

Excellent post and photographs Dave, you are making me tired. In that photo of No Man's Orchard it looks as though a giant snake is heading for you!
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 01 Feb 2018 08:58

judgegeoff wrote:Excellent post and photographs Dave, you are making me tired. In that photo of No Man's Orchard it looks as though a giant snake is heading for you!

Hi Geoff. That really is a giant snake - albeit one made of wood! :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby judgegeoff » 01 Feb 2018 09:36

Dave wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:Excellent post and photographs Dave, you are making me tired. In that photo of No Man's Orchard it looks as though a giant snake is heading for you!

Hi Geoff. That really is a giant snake - albeit one made of wood! :D

Scary!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Feb 2018 12:06

Enjoyed 'accompanying' you on that walk and loved the photos. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Peka » 01 Feb 2018 18:15

Oh that tree is so gnarly! :D

:clap: on all the steps, mine step count has been so low in the last couple of months with illness :( Yesterday, pretty ashamed to say was the first time all year (that sounds even worse) I walked over 10,000 steps. Definitely need to get back on the treadmill until the weather improves enough.
Peka
8 trips ¦ 5 ships ¦ 53 ports
Booked: Adriatic 2019
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 04 Feb 2018 13:22

My walking routine is to do three solo walks in the middle of the week (that's the days I don't have the grandchildren) and a walk with my wife at the weekend - usually on a Saturday. Our weekend walks during the winter are shorter than for the rest of the year because the weather isn't very conducive to a picnic lunch and/or a coffee stop, so we like to get home in time for lunch. In the summer we can do anything up to about 15 miles, but at the moment our walks are about half of that distance. Yesterday's was 8.5 miles.

For our weekend walk, I study the map I keep updated on Google Earth (below) which shows all of the walks I've done in Kent and I try to plan something for an area I've not visited yet.

(Click thumbnail to enlarge.)

I use the Ordnance Survey website (to which we subscribe) to plot the route. The idea is to work out a circular route using footpaths, byways, bridleways and quiet country lanes, and ideally include a hamlet or village (or two) plus a mixture of woodland and farmland. I also spend a lot of time on Google Street View to check out the 'quietness' of any roads and to try and confirm that footpaths are unobstructed. Oh yes, and I need to make sure there's somewhere convenient to park. All of this can be quite a challenge!

Having saved the route, I copy it to my indispensable SatMap gps so we can follow it easily on the day. This is the map we used yesterday...

We parked in a large free car park in the lovely village of Chilham and set off in an anti-clockwise direction.

The first park of the walk was across farmland and mostly on very muddy footpaths and bridleways. We were heading for the small hamlet of Molash - here's the path that leads to the church:

From Molash we headed for King's Wood which is famous for its magnificent annual display of bluebells - we could already see the beginnings of growth and it'll only be a few weeks now before they're in full bloom.

We joined the North Downs Way on the opposite side of the wood and came across a large group of horsey people - we reckon there must have been at least 50, but I only caught a few in my photo (I didn't want to be too obvious!).

And then we headed back into Chilham and were home by about 1pm for a well-earned lunch. :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext