Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Postby grannyM » 28 Feb 2018 17:28

Fabulous photos of snow on the beach Dave. Quite a bonus for the children to have a steep hill towards the sea for sledging and tobogganing. Looks great fun. :thumbup:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby khkate » 28 Feb 2018 19:13

Looks like a fantastic place for tobogganing and some lovely photos of countryside in the snow too. We love walking in the snow as long as it isn't too icy. Only thing is that this extreme cold is playing havoc with my joints, so can't do much anyway. WE haven't got the snow yet - but due over the next 48 hours!
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 15 Mar 2018 16:10

I get quite obsessed with targets. On the whole, I think that's a very good thing because it means that I force myself to go on a walk on days when a big part of me would like to stay at home and put my feet up! The problem though is when uncooperative weather - of the kind we had at the start of this month - makes me fall behind and then I feel I have to catch up again. I clocked up 2,500+ miles of recorded walks in 2017 so it makes sense to match that this year and do 5,000 miles in two years. It might well not happen, but that's the target!

Except during holidays, I do solo walks each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and my wife and I do a shorter walk every weekend. Since I need to do an average of 50 miles per week throughout the year, I usually try to do around that distance myself then make it up to 60 or so with the weekend walk.

Despite what the weather forecasters tell us, it's still winter (and will be for a few days yet!). The shorter days and less pleasant weather affect how I/we do walks. In spring, summer and autumn, it's normal to stop for a sandwich and/or a coffee and my wife is more prepared to do about 14 miles instead of the 8 or so when we don't take a break. On my solo walks, I'll have a lunch stop and I'm also far more likely to drive somewhere for a walk when the weather is good and the days are long. In the winter though, almost all of my walking is from home - and I don't stop walking until I get back for a late lunch.

I've not said anything about my recent walks so I thought I'd catch up with a summary, which also happens to be very typical of my routine - long walks on Tuesdays, and shorter walks on Wednesdays and Thursdays (because my legs tend to ache by then!).

I've taken very few photos over the last two weeks, but I do like to include some so these will have to do...

Last Tuesday I walked to Canterbury then on to the delightful villages of Patrixbourne and Bekesbourne (and back of course!). I'd not been to the latter before and the aim was to go further in a south-easterly direction from home than I'd been before. The photo shows the road between the villages where a bridge and a ford cross the (almost always) dry Nailbourne river. There was still a bit of snow around.

Last Wednesday's walk was along the coast to Reculver and returning inland. It rained a lot and I didn't bother with photos! Last Thursday's walk was to Boughton-under-Blean using twisting country lanes through our local orchard country - one of my favourite walking areas (no photos though).

This Tuesday's walk was to the villages of Petham and Garlinge Green (not shown on the map). The aim was to get further south from home than I'd been before and to an area I'd not seen before. It was also something of a record because, although I've previously walked greater distances, I did the 23+ miles without stopping at all. The photo shows a manor house below the ridge of Chartham Downs a couple of miles before I got to Petham:

I'd been mostly avoiding 'woods walks' and doing country lanes instead because of all the rain we've had lately, but yesterday I decided to go to our local woodland (Blean Woods) and head east to East Blean Woods, before returning via the coast. I took this photo at the edge of East Blean Woods of this year's bluebells - give it a few weeks and the display will be magnificent!

And finally... today I went down into Whitstable and followed the coast by the marshes towards Faversham Creek. Before heading back inland, I needed to cross a somewhat muddy field. Heavy going!

Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 21 Mar 2018 17:17

Woo hoo! Spring has arrived! And as if on cue, the snow and ice of the past few days disappeared, and the sun came out. It's been almost mild today. :D

Passing a goose farm, I spotted a few geese out enjoying the sunshine... (There can be hundreds in that field in the summer.)

I also spotted one of the first varieties of wildflower that I learned to identify a year ago - an early-flowering type of buttercup called Lesser Celandine. :geek:

A little further on I came across some very newly-born lambs...

Then I saw my first ploughing of the year - the tractor was being followed by hundreds of birds. There was a mixture of common herring gulls and another kind of bird that I couldn't identify. These were a similar size but with jet black under-wings.

And finally, a very Kentish sight - oast houses and hop poles. :D

The route map:

(Click to enlarge!)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 21 Mar 2018 18:21

Mud mud glorious mud! A sure sign that spring is in the air if you’ve seen celandines. Keep a look out for colts foot as well. Were the birds with the black underwings lapwings, also known as peewit.? Happy rambles. Ruth
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Dave » 21 Mar 2018 18:31

rdw123 wrote:Mud mud glorious mud! A sure sign that spring is in the air if you’ve seen celandines. Keep a look out for colts foot as well. Were the birds with the black underwings lapwings, also known as peewit.? Happy rambles. Ruth

Thanks for that Ruth... from what I've just read on the RSPB website and looking at Google photos, it seems extremely likely. :thumbup:
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 27 Mar 2018 16:43

Just a quick update with the focus on spring... :D

On Saturday, my wife and I did a 30 minute drive to a small woodland car park a few miles south-west of Canterbury and our walk was about 9 miles around the villages of Garlinge Green, Petham, Waltham and Sole Street (for anyone familiar with the area!). Arriving at the church at Waltham we crossed a field with a great many new-born lambs. Here are two...

A little while earlier, we'd had one of the scariest moments of our walking careers. The footpath ran alongside a field where a sign warned of it being an area containing dogs undergoing "rehabilitation", and if approached we should avoid eye-contact. :? In the field there were two German Shepherds and one was incredibly aggressive - it spent the ten minutes or so that it took us to get past the field trying desperately to find a way through the flimsy-looking wire fence separating us. Fortunately for us, it didn't manage it! Phew!

By contrast, on my solo walk today through local woodland and fields I passed only one pair of dog walkers with three docile dogs. But then again, it was raining. ;) The theme of the walk was to take paths through the woods that I hadn't taken previously.

I took this photo because I thought the spot deserved it. The tiny stream near Upper Harbledown (outside Canterbury) will be dry for most of the year but today it trickled merrily.

Nearby, I spotted what was probably the first wild flower I learned to name last spring - the wood anemone. :D (Presumably the flowers are almost closed because of the weather.)

...and, of course, primroses are out in abundance:

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 28 Mar 2018 07:04

Thanks for the photos Dave. Don’t get out in the woods much now. Your lovely photos are taking me there. Looks like the bluebells are coming through nicely. Soon be a carpet of blue. Spring is a lovely time of the year, apart from the mud! Keep them coming.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 28 Mar 2018 09:55

Lovely pics. to herald the arrival of Spring! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 28 Mar 2018 15:40

Deciding where to go on a walk is often a problem so it's nice to have an excuse that provides a destination. I wanted to buy four rechargeable batteries with a charger, and Maplin had just the thing - with 40% off (every cloud has a silver lining). The closest Maplin store is on the outskirts of Canterbury and I usually take lovely footpaths to the city then walk along grotty busy roads past countless car showrooms to the retail park.

Studying the map, I decided it should be possible to get almost all of the way to Maplin off-road by cutting across fields and downs... and it was. :D

I bought my batteries and charger then headed towards Canterbury before tackling the steep climb to the university (between Rough Common and Tyler Hill on the map) and back into the countryside. I enjoy walking through the campus because I was there a little over 40 years ago, and I like to reminisce a bit. :) The university is about 5 times the size as it was in the early 70s, and it never stops expanding. There were a surprising number of students around today - I'm sure we would have broken up for Easter by now back in the good old days! But enough of that... back to the walk.

It was a great day for walking because it rained non-stop the whole time. That meant I could wear my fully-waterproof gear and not have to stop to remove bits when the sun came out and I got too warm (as happened yesterday). Also, a properly rainy day means very few other people around. In fact, on the outward journey I passed only one other soul - a damp cyclist. :D

Part of the cross-country route between Whitstable and Canterbury that I often take follows a cycle track, which provides a nice gravelly surface...

...but it's popular with dog-walkers, so I prefer the twisty trails through the deep, dark woods - which is more fun. :D

I really like footbridges and steps because they show that someone cares about walkers! :D

And I've grumbled about inconsiderate farmers and landowners who plough up footpaths and make life difficult at times, but this is an example of consideration. The path is a 'permissive footpath' - not shown on maps, but provided and maintained by a nice landowner. (I discovered this path by chance last year.):

And finally, I came across five ducks on a pond that's usually a fraction of the size. Nice weather for them.

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext