Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby rdw123 » 03 Nov 2018 08:21

Lovely photos of Faversham Dave. My cousins live there one in the Almshouses just by the brewery somewhere. Lovely olde worlde place. I think I have seen more parts of Kent via your walks than I ever did in all the years we lived down there. Keep the photos coming.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 03 Nov 2018 10:21

Enjoyed this walk much more, Dave, and the photos were great with lovely buildings, countryside and the sea. Who could ask for more? :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 03 Nov 2018 16:09

We're back by popular demand! ;) :D

For this weekend's 'Walk With My Wife' we revisited one of our favourite areas - the spectacular cliff-top between Dover and Folkestone.

No planning was needed - we parked at Samphire Hoe at the foot of the cliffs and walked to Clifftop Cafe at Capel-le-Ferne, which is just outside Folkestone. Then we returned along the North Downs Way path which stays very close to the cliff edge. Although the weather was reasonably mild and the sun came out early on, there was a strong wind blowing up and over the cliffs which made walking difficult at times!

I've mentioned the wonderful Samphire Hoe several times before; it's a park below the cliffs that was created using material from the Channel Tunnel excavations and is accessed via a steep, narrow road tunnel through the cliffs. It's an amazing place and well worth a visit if you happen to be in Dover for the day. My photo shows the exhibition building (left) and the café (right):

I took this photo of my wife taking a photo of what I've decided is my Most Favourite Hill. :D

A few minutes later, she took this arty photo. The chimney is a vent for the railway tunnel (not the Channel Tunnel) below us:

A few weeks' ago, someone asked about things to do in Folkestone and I suggested visiting the Clifftop Cafe. With that in mind, I posed for a couple of photos. 8-)

I don't know how long the café has been there, but I remember it from the 70s. It hasn't changed much! The views are incredible, and the coffee we had today was instant. :?

And here, instant coffee costs what a good cappuccino would cost anywhere else! But the views are amazing... :D

And speaking of views... this is one of my absolute favourites:

Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 04 Nov 2018 08:40

Hi Dave. Thanks for solving my mystery. Been past those chimneys several times and always presumed they were for the channel tunnel and always thought they looked older than the tunnel. Now I know. Mystery solved I shall wonder no more. Ruth
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 04 Nov 2018 10:43

I can see why that is one of your favourite views, Dave - really stunning! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 08 Nov 2018 16:59

There are lots of autumnal trees in my photos today! :D

My wife dropped me off early this morning at a village called Boughton Lees just outside Ashford on her way to a meeting. I've walked home from Ashford several times this year so making my way out of the busy town yet again didn't appeal much. And Boughton Lees is on the North Downs Way, which suited me perfectly. I love the NDW!

My previous routes between Ashford and home have taken me either into Canterbury or to the outskirts so, to do things a bit differently, I left the NDW soon after Chilham and headed north to Boughton-under-Blean. This section was new to me and I chose it partly because it's a slightly more direct route, but mainly because it meant taking unfamiliar paths through unfamiliar woods.

The conditions were absolutely perfect: blue skies, mild, and the wind and sun behind me. The walk was 17.4 miles and had a fair number of hills and rough ground along the way.

An attractive path between Boughton Lees and the interestingly named Boughton Aluph, with the sun still very low in the sky:

Looking back to Boughton Aluph across the field I'd just crossed:

In King's Wood, about 3 miles before Chilham, I came across a pure white squirrel on the path in front of me. It scampered up a tree before I was able to take a photo and it's not very obvious in the main picture, so I zoomed in on it to show you...

This is the part of King's Wood that has the best bluebell display in springtime. I often meet horse riders around here and today I passed two - both taking their dogs for a walk the lazy way!

I've posted a couple of photos of Chilham Castle in previous posts, but I think this is the best one yet:

I left the North Downs Way at Old Wives Lees, just past Chilham, to embark on the adventurous part of the walk. Delightful orchards and fields came first...

...before I arrived at the mysterious woods. The first area of woodland is called Joan Beech Woods; I've no idea why. :D

I took the left fork...

Eventually I emerged from the woods near Boughton-under-Blean and took familiar lanes and paths back to Whitstable. I made a point of going along Dawes Road because it has possibly the best views in the area.

And finally, a path through my local woods with about a mile to go...

It's funny how walking has changed my outlook on things - I used to say that autumn was my least favourite season, but now I think that the countryside never looks better!
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 09 Nov 2018 07:44

Lovely photos again Dave. I too like the Autumn and your walk looked like my kind of walk. I can see why you chose the left fork! Interesting to see the squirrel. I wonder if he/she was a true albino and if it will survive the winter. We shall never know.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 09 Nov 2018 11:38

Fabulous photos, Dave. Lovely picl of the squirrel - hope he survives - albinos of any type are often killed just because they are different.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 09 Nov 2018 17:51

rdw123 wrote:Lovely photos again Dave. I too like the Autumn and your walk looked like my kind of walk. I can see why you chose the left fork! Interesting to see the squirrel. I wonder if he/she was a true albino and if it will survive the winter. We shall never know.

Gillzajoker wrote:Fabulous photos, Dave. Lovely picl of the squirrel - hope he survives - albinos of any type are often killed just because they are different.

I did some research on white squirrels and it seems there are two possibilities: Albino and Leucism – a mutated gene which turns them white but keeps their eyes black - and both types are extremely rare. Sadly, I didn't notice whether its eyes were pink or black. :(
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby grannyM » 09 Nov 2018 18:42

Just catching up on your last week or so's walks Dave.

Absolutely beautiful towns and countryside. Places I've never been and probably will not do, so it's good to get a flavour of them through your photos. Thank you. :thumbup:

The only thing I can identify with is the seaside and the woods in all their autumnal glory as we are fortunate to live very close to the sea and also to our local woods. Our garden Beech trees and neighbour's hedge are all looking magnificent. If only we had such beautiful sunny days as you do to enjoy them for longer. They definitely are not their best in the pouring rain and strong winds we've been having recently. :(
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext