Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 09 Jan 2019 11:32

OMG - thank goodness I always cruise, then. I almost always get a 3-week long-haul cruise, inc. pre- or post- hotels, all flights and transfers, for under £2000. No contest! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 25 Jan 2019 18:11

It's been more than two weeks since I last updated this blog. :oops:

The problem is that I've not been anywhere new since January 7th. With the exception of a walk I did with my wife between Boughton-under-Blean and Old Wives Lees, all my walks have been from home, which means for the main part they've involved very familiar routes. In winter, walking is more about willpower than sightseeing!

I've still been quite active though. So far this month I've clocked up over 231 miles of recorded walks and I'm hoping that January 2019 will be my second best ever monthly distance. :D

The map includes the twelve solo walks I've done since the Thanet towns walk: six to Canterbury and back, five coastal loops east towards Herne Bay and Reculver, and one westerly loop to Faversham Creek.

Because of the familiar area as well as the winter weather, I've taken very few photos recently.

Today the tide was out a long way so I went to the end of the 'Street' at Tankerton thinking I might get further out to sea than I'd been before. But when I checked on Google Earth I found that I hadn't got as far as I did once before. :(

Here's a friendly furry horse in a field not far from Herne:

This photo is from my westward walk to Faversham Creek. This remote stretch of coast is an excellent place to spot birds and I passed a couple of twitchers on the sea wall - one is by the wall in the left of the photo (a very long way off!) and he was watching a huge flock of Oyster Catchers (not visible!):

And finally... I couldn't resist taking a photo of the grand entrance to Reculver Court - possibly the most pretentious static caravan park I've ever seen! ;)

Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 26 Jan 2019 15:59

Anything to avoid being called 'Trailer Trash'! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 31 Jan 2019 16:46

This morning's walk involved a somewhat different kind of joy - I walked to neighbouring Herne Bay to visit my granddaughter (and my daughter too!). Neve is just less than two months old and is absolutely gorgeous! :D

Most of the route between my house and Herne is along country lanes and, although the temperature was around zero, I hadn't realised how icy the roads would be. In places I walked along the edges of fields to avoid the ice sheets! As I left Herne I was aware that I'd arrive at my daughter's house earlier than planned, so I did a loop around a very big cemetery that I'd not visited before to kill some time.

On Monday's walk to Canterbury I bought a pair of Craghoppers winter-lined walking trousers at Cotswold Outdoor. I wore them today and they proved to be a huge success. I'm hoping for lots of snow for tomorrow's walk!

I returned along the coast and went into Whitstable before heading home. I needed to walk 14 miles today to pass 268 miles for the month - I ended up doing 15 miles, and so January 2019 is now the second best month in my 27 full months of recorded walking! :D (The best is last May's 335 miles, which I doubt I'll ever better.)
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Camela » 31 Jan 2019 18:51

She's beautiful Dave.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 01 Feb 2019 16:03

I was hoping to enjoy a snowy walk today, but it wasn't to be. :(

It started snowing at about 11pm yesterday and continued through the night, but at about 8am the snow turned to rain. As I write (at about 3pm) it's still pouring with rain and it hasn't stopped all day. So my snowy walk turned out to be a very wet one indeed!

I decided to do one of my favourite walks from Whitstable: I headed for Boughton-under-Blean and in particular Dawes Road, which is probably my favourite road around here because it feels quite remote and provides wonderful views, and returned via farmland and woods.

Despite the heavy rain, Dawes Road was still very wintry:

My local woods - with just over two miles to go...

It's easier walking on slush than ice, but I still prefer proper snow! 8-)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Feb 2019 17:00

Slush, ice, snow.....you can keep them. But loved the pic. of Neve :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 07 Feb 2019 19:51

My new granddaughter is just over two months old and I was delighted (and a bit surprised) when my daughter suggested we do a walk - to get back into our occasional outings together, and to test out the baby-carrier. 8-)

Neve looking ready to set off...

A rather chilly pair posing for a photo in an orchard...

And a selfie of sorts...

This was a short walk of a little over four miles but with a fair degree of ascent. We parked at the high point of Dawes Road (my favourite road in our area) and did a loop that featured quiet lanes, farmland and woods.

For anyone wanting a short walk with fantastic scenery, this one is perfect!
Dawes Road.gpx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby judgegeoff » 07 Feb 2019 21:17

Dave wrote:This morning's walk involved a somewhat different kind of joy - I walked to neighbouring Herne Bay to visit my granddaughter (and my daughter too!). Neve is just less than two months old and is absolutely gorgeous! :D

Most of the route between my house and Herne is along country lanes and, although the temperature was around zero, I hadn't realised how icy the roads would be. In places I walked along the edges of fields to avoid the ice sheets! As I left Herne I was aware that I'd arrive at my daughter's house earlier than planned, so I did a loop around a very big cemetery that I'd not visited before to kill some time.

On Monday's walk to Canterbury I bought a pair of Craghoppers winter-lined walking trousers at Cotswold Outdoor. I wore them today and they proved to be a huge success. I'm hoping for lots of snow for tomorrow's walk!

I returned along the coast and went into Whitstable before heading home. I needed to walk 14 miles today to pass 268 miles for the month - I ended up doing 15 miles, and so January 2019 is now the second best month in my 27 full months of recorded walking! :D (The best is last May's 335 miles, which I doubt I'll ever better.)

I have been looking for a good pair of winter trousers and, having seen your comments about your new Craghopper trousers I visited their website and found that they had a sale on. I managed to get a pair of Kiwi winter lined trousers reduced from £60 to £24 and also a bargain winter shirt and a summer shirt jacket. Chris was so impressed with the quality that she ordered a jacket and a striped top and is very pleased with the fit and quality - every item guaranteed for life (although our life or the items life - it wasn't very clear!). So many thanks Dave.

BTW, Neve is absolutely lovely, you have every right to be very proud.
Geoff

Booked cruise :- "MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby rdw123 » 08 Feb 2019 09:37

Well done Neve. Starting early! Ruth
rdw123
Commander