Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 13 Apr 2019 09:09

rdw123 wrote:Dave. Could the top flower be ladies smock and the bottom one honesty? Interested to hear what you think. Ruth

Hi Ruth. A quick check on The Wildlife Trusts website...
Cuckooflower, also commonly known as 'Lady's-smock', is a pretty, springtime perennial of damp, grassy places like wet meadows, ditches and riverbanks...

So both are correct, and we both agree on 'honesty' for the second. :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 13 Apr 2019 09:29

I used to know a lot of wild flower names due to collecting cards in PG Tips and sticking them in an album in my youth!!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 13 Apr 2019 14:54

Another flowery walk... :D

Mid-April is the time that we like to visit King's Wood near Chilham to see the incredible display of bluebells, so that was today's weekend walk with my wife. The route was mostly on familiar paths with the only new section being the area around Bilting.

We took a lush and, near its end, a very steep path from Bilting to King's Wood:

But this year we visited too early - probably by a couple of weeks. Bluebells were flowering but not in the number we were hoping for. We wondered if this year's very mild winter was perhaps somehow responsible for the late display? Oh well, we have a good reason to return when we get back from our Easter break...

I really like the mixture of bluebells and wood anemones in this part of the woods:

Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 13 Apr 2019 16:41

We drove past a local bluebell wood today and wondered if they'd be out so bearing in mind your photo Dave, probably it's a walk next weekend.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 14 Apr 2019 22:39

Dave wrote:Today's weekend walk with my wife followed on from last week's walk in that we parked at Shorne Country Park again and set off to explore this attractive and fascinating part of Kent. This time we headed north-east to Higham from where we mostly followed a 'Dickens' trail.

I've been watching an excellent series on BBC iPlayer called Walks of Life. By a very pleasing coincidence, today's episode focused on 'Dickens' Country' and the presenter, Mehreen Baig, followed a similar route to that which my wife and I have walked within the past few weeks. We were a bit jealous that Mehreen had a tour of Dickens' house at Gads Hill!

If you're interested, Walks of Life is in the Lifestyle category on a suitable TV, or online here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0003m66/walks-of-life-series-1-5-kent

Highly recommended if you enjoy walking or Dickens... or both! :thumbup:
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 15 Apr 2019 18:50

I did two walks today, although I hadn't planned to.

I've been closing in on a couple of significant achievements: 3,000 miles in the last 365 days, and 1,000 miles in the first three-and-a-half months of 2019. When I got home after the first walk I checked the distance (20+ miles) and realised I was still 2 miles short of my first target and 4 miles short of the second. So I ate a very late lunch before setting off to do the 4+ miles required! (I've posted the details HERE.)

I took a few photos on the first walk.

I only had a rough idea of where the walk would take me. I began by going up into my local woods and taking woodland paths all the way to East Blean Woods (SW of Herne Common) where I've see impressive displays of bluebells before. Then I decided to keep on heading east to Marshside, which is appropriately named since it's the village on the edge of what was once the channel that separated mainland Kent from the Isle of Sheppey. I returned to Whitstable along the coast.

There weren't many bluebells out, but what there were mixed beautifully with some lesser celandine and a great swathe of wood anemones:

Woodland doesn't get much better than this!

Heading for Marshside I went along one of my favourite lanes - Old Tree Road. It's to the left of the rape field:

A 'drain' at Marshside, and reclaimed land where there was once a marsh and the sea before that...

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 16 Apr 2019 11:51

Great pics., Dave - especially the Spring flowers, which I miss! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 16 Apr 2019 17:47

Gillzajoker wrote:Great pics., Dave - especially the Spring flowers, which I miss! :D

Glad you like the photos of spring flowers Gill - I've got some more for you... ;)

I planned today's walk a couple of weeks ago, but on the morning I was to set off I learned that the road to the country park where I was to park was closed. Then, because the area is particularly scenic, I decided to leave it until I'd met my current targets (see previous post) and do it as a sort of celebration. :D

I parked at the White Horse Country Park near Thurnham and headed west along the North Downs Way to just past Detling before going across country to Bredhurst. I went through the Medway district of Walderslade to Blue Bell Hill where I rejoined the NDW and followed it all the way back to the car. The walk was a bit over 16 miles and had lots of very steep sections - my watch gave the steep ascents an equivalence of 162 flights of stairs!

I took this photo after just a few hundred yards of setting off - the cowslips are just flowering:

On the way to Bredhurst I came across the first flowering ramsons (wild garlic) I'd seen this spring. Of course I rubbed a leaf and savoured the smell. :D

I did a lap of the lovely old church at Bredhurst:

Much later, I passed the White Horse Stone near Blue Bell Hill. It's said to be an early neolithic megalith dating from around 4,000BC.

Almost immediately after passing the stone, the Kent part of the NDW has possibly its longest steep climb. Photos don't really do it justice, but I took a couple anyway because regular breathers were required!

Looking forward...

...and looking back:

After a sunny start, the day had turned rather misty as I approached the country park just over the hill ahead...

A thoroughly enjoyable trek through some of Kent's most scenic countryside! :D
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 17 Apr 2019 11:33

Very scenic, Dave - I, too, love the smell of the ramson. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 27 Apr 2019 16:26

The weather for this weekend's walk with my wife was wet and windy, but we were determined to visit King's Wood near Chilham to see the bluebells. And anyway, when the weather isn't great, woodland is the most sheltered place to be (outdoors, that is!).

We parked at Chilham and did a long loop round via Godmersham before going up into the woods. There we did a slow stroll taking lots of photos - a few of which follow shortly. From the woods we returned to Chilham by going around the edge of Chilham Castle Estate where, as luck would have it, there was a big horsey event taking place.

Fred photographing bluebells:

Me posing on a path:

Bluebells and beech trees:

Fred posing:

A particularly lush patch of bluebells:

On the way back we stopped and watched horses splashing through a pond...

Back in Chilham...

My younger daughter asked if I would take her, my son-in-law, my granddaughter and their dog to see the bluebells next Thursday, so you've not seen the last of my bluebell photos just yet! ;)

I've been doing lots of solo walks recently too, but they haven't been particularly noteworthy... except perhaps for an outrageous sign I passed the other day:

It reads: PRIVATE LAND. KEEP OUT. NO DOG WALKING AND NO WALKERS. VERMIN SHOOTING ALL YEAR ROUND, NIGHT AND DAY. ANYONE CAUGHT DOING DAMAGE TO THESE SIGNS WILL BE ARRESTED. :lol:

Yes, it was on a signposted public footpath, and yes, I've reported it. :D
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext