Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 17 Jul 2019 09:32

That was a really lovely walk, and the accompanying photos are wonderful. If you ever
think of 'upping your game' to test your mettle, how about carrying something on your
back a little more substantial than your backpack? ME!!! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 18 Jul 2019 15:12

rdw123 wrote:I agree Sutton Valence is a lovely area which we used to enjoy walking in. I can understand your reluctance to drive through Maidstone though. It always used to be a nightmare! I have been buying a lot of strawberries which have come from Kent. They were always good from that area. Lovely photos which brought back memories. Thanks

I hate driving through Maidstone Ruth; I've done it many times but I still use the satnav to help me get into the correct lanes!

Gillzajoker wrote:That was a really lovely walk, and the accompanying photos are wonderful. If you ever think of 'upping your game' to test your mettle, how about carrying something on your back a little more substantial than your backpack? ME!!! :lol:

Err... I'll think about it. :think: :?

Camela wrote:Dave, what happens when you've exhausted all the walks in Kent? Do you move to Sussex?

I'm sure there are many people who think like we do; we see loads of lovely, tempting places but always decide that there's no place like home. :D

However, I was thinking about getting into Sussex - I still haven't reached Tunbridge Wells on foot and there's a trail called the Sussex Border Path that passes quite close to the town and which might be used on a circular walk in the area.

We're setting off tomorrow for a week in the Peak District (and taking all the family) and a few days after we get back we're heading for Scotland for two weeks (by ourselves!) so it'll be a few weeks before I do any more explorations in Kent. So I'll end for now with a map of my progress to date:

That represents about 7,000 miles of walking in under three years, although it doesn't look like that much because I've walked some of the same paths a great many times - especially those around Whitstable and Canterbury!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 19 Jul 2019 10:07

Looks very impressive to me! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 22 Aug 2019 15:01

Our recent holidays in the Peak District and Scotland have resulted in a long gap in this blog - it's about five weeks since it was last updated. So I'll get the ball rolling again, even though it's not all that exciting! ;)

On Monday I walked to Canterbury and back to get myself a new walking jacket. After browsing in four walking shops, I chose a really good one from Rohan. :D

On Tuesday I walked to Herne Bay and back via Whitstable town to look for a birthday present for my younger daughter. I couldn't find what we had in mind, so we ordered it from Amazon. :D

On Wednesday I looked after my two grandsons. We had a brilliant time which included going to the beach. :D

My weekly walking routine usually includes a day heading south, a day heading east, and a day heading west. So today I headed west to walk my favourite country lanes around Hernhill:

I also do a weekend walk with my wife (which I've yet to plan) and I like to do an adventurous solo walk somewhere new, which is the one I usually post about. Tomorrow though, I'm taking my car to Canterbury for a service so there'll be no new walks this week (I'll walk home from the garage and back to Canterbury when the service is done). I still need to put in the miles! 8-)

Actually, I hadn't planned to post about my walk today, but as I was passing through Hernhill I realised I'd never walked around the churchyard before. So I did and I took a few photos...

On my way back I went up Dawes Road, which is my favourite local lane because I love the views - the sea and the Isle of Sheppey in the distance, Hernhill just left of centre, and cows!

Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 23 Aug 2019 10:15

What a lovely day - wonderful views - and I do enjoy walking round graveyards also. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 31 Aug 2019 14:42

For today's weekend walk with my wife, we did a short loop from Linton. Linton is a few miles south of Maidstone and has a large, free car park by the church. It's also on a very scenic route called the Greensand Way and I've previously done a couple of walks eastward from Linton; today we went west.

I devised a short walk because my wife has been suffering from a leg strain - from gym and jogging rather than walking (she thinks) - so we needed to take it easy. However, the 6+ miles was still long enough for me to link the other Linton walks with my Kent network at a path near Yalding at the westernmost point. :D

Most of the outbound route was along peaceful country lanes and we returned to Linton along the Greensand Way.

Leaving Linton along a byway:

This area is mostly covered by orchards and we passed through a great many - apples, pears and plums were in abundance. But the vegetable highlight was the big field of pumpkins; there must have been tens of thousands!

Sunflowers aren't a common sight in Kent, so even though we came across just a small patch, a photo was required!

And finally, we walked through one last orchard and we were back in Linton after a most pleasant outing. :D

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Sep 2019 08:51

All those pumpkins are an amazing sight, and pleased you had a lovely day for your 'mini walk' :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 02 Sep 2019 16:48

Gillzajoker wrote:All those pumpkins are an amazing sight, and pleased you had a lovely day for your 'mini walk' :D

Thanks Gill. :D

Saturday's walk with my wife from Linton linked an orphaned walk to my Kent network. However, I'd previously worked out a route for a solo walk to do the same thing, but coming from Lenham to the north-east and linking at Ulcombe. So that's what I did today...

I parked in lovely medieval Lenham (where the source of the River Stour is) and followed the Stour Valley Walk from its start until just north of Egerton. I picked up the Greensand Way trail in Egerton and followed it to Ulcombe, then made my way back to Lenham via Fairbourne (not shown on the map) and Harrietsham.

Looking back soon after leaving Lenham on the Stour Valley Walk. The Stour is a trickle in the hedges on the left and the Lenham chalk cross is just visible on the far hillside (it's a lot bigger than it looks!):

Here the Stour makes a wonderful water feature in someone's garden:

Cattle are probably the most vexing things on any walk. Bogs, exposed mountain ridges, midges - bring them on, they're nothing compared to having your way blocked by cattle (and they always seem to congregate at the very point where the path exits the field)... :evil:

...but on this occasion I was able to bypass them by trespassing slightly on an adjacent field. :D

Some time later I joined the Greensand Way, which left Egerton through a nice orchard with a welcome from a walker-friendly notice. I must have been tempting fate, because I'd just been thinking that one of the great things about walking through orchards is that I never encounter dogs - only to meet three (all off their leads) in the next hundred yards! :evil: It's so much nicer being out of dog-walking range (which is the same as most-people-walking range). ;)

Not much later, I approached cattle guarding a gate for the second time today. This time I had no option but to go past them very carefully - I took the photo from the other side of the gate. 8-)

I always like to take photos of crops. Here the Greensand Way passes through a field of beans:

Sheep, and a nice view:

I liked that there was no doubt about the route through this hop field:

I passed an area where there were lots of sunflowers. There were too few to be a crop, so I'm not sure why they're there (unless it's for photo-ops?).

The Greensand Way passes through a great many orchards, which makes for a fantastic walk at this time of the year:

I see a lot of alpacas on my Kent walks. However, never has a path gone through a field where they are and I'm not sure why because they always seem friendly. Looking at the photo, these alpacas seem to have been sheared recently, but not on their heads:

I'll finish with a photo taken in the tiny hamlet of Fairbourne. Rural Kent in a nutshell! :D

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 03 Sep 2019 07:04

Wow, that walk encompassed so many things - river, animals, crops, flowers and all on a glorious sunny day. Absolutely loved the final photo - definitely 'Darling Buds of May' territory! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby rdw123 » 03 Sep 2019 07:16

I can understand your reluctance to pass cattle. I am the same with horses, cattle no problem. Rural Kent is looking good. Happy hiking.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Walking & Hiking