Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Postby judgegeoff » 30 Sep 2019 19:20

Congratulations Dave, a splendid achievement, well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 30 Sep 2019 19:27

Thanks Geoff. :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Oct 2019 11:52

Wow, wow, wow! Very well done, Dave - you are an inspiration to us all! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 03 Oct 2019 18:49

The aim of my walk today was to complete the Darent Valley Path between the southern end of Dartford and Lullingstone. Last week, as part of a circular walk, I did the first (or last?) bit of the DVP which is in the Dartford area and, to be honest, it wasn't very attractive. Some weeks previously, I'd headed south from Lullingstone and that part was extremely pleasant, so I wasn't sure what the missing bit would be like.

One reason I joined English Heritage was to use their car parks and today I parked at Lullingstone Roman Villa near Eynsford. I walked along the quietest roads I could find to get to where I left the DVP last week and then followed the path all the way back to Lullingstone:

There were few highlights on the outbound road section, but the picturesque village of Eynsford was certainly one - I love fords and (appropriately) this one is across the River Darent:

The other highlight was passing a field where radio-controlled planes were being flown. I think that was it!

There are a lot of major roads in the Dartford area and I went under several on this walk. My collage includes the M25, the M2 and the A2. :)

I had hoped that since I was joining the Darent Valley Path south of Dartford I'd be away from noise and busy-ness and into the countryside almost immediately. However, the walk didn't become properly rural until I had passed South Darenth. Here are a few rural photos...

I passed two very impressive viaducts - the first was in South Darenth (big photo) and the other was near Lullingstone. I also passed what I guess was once a mill and now seems to be a retail complex; I could see the chimney from a long way off on the outbound leg and was looking forward finding out what it was.

The village of Farningham was a real treat. The structure in the two upper photos is thought to be a cattle screen - to keep cattle on track as they forded the river.

The walk was 15.5 miles and I have to admit it didn't quite live up to my hopes and expectations (especially considering the hour's drive each way!). I enjoy walking alongside rivers but the Darent Valley Path only becomes properly delightful south of South Darent which is where the rural scenery and villages and castles and fields of lavender begin. So (and it's purely a personal view), should anyone be considering walking the DVP, I'd recommend sticking to the southern end. :)
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby rdw123 » 04 Oct 2019 07:57

Good photos Dave. It never was the most picturesque area and it doesn’t look like a lot has changed! Is that a coppiced tree in one of the photos? Happy hiking.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 04 Oct 2019 10:28

Lovely photos - apart from the motorway ones - and Farningham is indeed delightful. I, too, like fords and think they are an enhancement to a village. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 04 Oct 2019 15:53

rdw123 wrote:Good photos Dave. It never was the most picturesque area and it doesn’t look like a lot has changed! Is that a coppiced tree in one of the photos? Happy hiking.

No, I don't think so. It's a very old willow and many of the branches seem to have collapsed but are still growing (if you see what I mean). I took the photo because it was an unusual sight. :)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 04 Oct 2019 15:57

Gillzajoker wrote:Lovely photos - apart from the motorway ones - and Farningham is indeed delightful. I, too, like fords and think they are an enhancement to a village. :D

I think the motorway ones are great. Some of the graffiti is very accomplished, and there are at least ten carriageways above me in the first photo! :D
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 07 Oct 2019 17:55

I love the White Cliffs of Dover and I've walked along the clifftop many times, but not for a few weeks. So I decided to do a walk from Dover today and I devised a circuit where at least half of the route would be new to me by taking lanes I'd not used before across the countryside to Deal.

I used my National Trust membership to park at the White Cliffs Visitor Centre, which overlooks the ferry terminal. I passed Dover Castle and went through some historic villages, including Guston, East Langdon and Martin, before arriving in a part of Walmer I'd not seen before. A footpath beside the railway line took me on to Deal and I returned along the coast to Dover. Although I hadn't planned to, I followed a cycle route called the Skylark Trail all the way from Dover to Walmer.

The Dover area is full of castles, forts and other military remains. Clockwise from top-left are: Dover Castle, Fort Burgoyne (not open to the public), Walmer Castle and Deal Castle. I love castles and Deal is probably my favourite!:

I mentioned historic villages... I bagged a few information boards.

If you've ever sailed into or out of Dover, you'll probably have seen South Foreland Lighthouse perched high on the cliff:

Horses are often seen grazing along the clifftop in the many National Trust areas; I passed two small herds today. Below to the left is St Margarets Bay:

That's the ferry port in the distance, with the cruise port behind. Three cruise ships were in today:

This is Fan Bay. Just in front of me is the top of the steepest slope I've climbed in Kent. I went the long way round today!

This dip is called Langdon Hole, which is easier to cross than Fan Bay!

It was an excellent and varied walk at a touch under 18 miles, which I highly recommend! I think it's worth mentioning that I actually prefer the clifftop to the west between Dover and Folkestone, mainly because there are far fewer people around. The advantage of the eastern side that I did today is that it's much more open and offers a wide variety of routes - both moderate and challenging! :)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 08 Oct 2019 11:21

Lovely photos of a lovely area! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag: