Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby rdw123 » 06 Dec 2019 08:47

Lovely photos Dave. Kent is not quite as hilly as where I was last week, Madeira. It’s lovely though.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 07 Jan 2020 15:19

It's five weeks since I last updated this topic and I'd hate for anyone to think I've given up exploring Kent, so I must post something - no matter how unexciting! :)

The problem is of course, that short winter days aren't conducive to driving long distances to do walks, so I stick mainly to familiar local routes.

Today though, an opportunity arose to do several miles of previously unwalked paths. My wife was driving to a meeting in Sittingbourne, so I went with her and walked home. The route was simple: alongside the A2 (London Road), alongside the A299 (Thanet Way) and alongside the A2990 (Old Thanet Way).

The novel part was that I'd not walked the first seven miles of the A2 between Sittingbourne and Faversham before! After Faversham I could have taken quiet, scenic routes, but I decided to make this a Major Road Walk. Well, why not?

A rare peaceful moment on the A2:

Path alongside the A299 dual carriageway:

The A2990 - nearly home!

The walk was 17.5 miles, it took just over 4 hours and, except for a short detour needed to cross the dual carriageway via a bridge, the whole walk was alongside mostly busy roads. But despite that, it was an enjoyable morning. I've driven that route dozens of times, but walking provides a completely new perspective - it's more 'real' than when whizzing past in an insulated box!

My photos aren't very exciting, but I took this much nicer one on my walk yesterday. I did a familiar 20+ mile loop between home and Reculver Towers - here they are from the eastern side...

Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 08 Jan 2020 14:24

Certainly something different for you. Like the last photo, though. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby rdw123 » 09 Jan 2020 09:01

The A2 did look quiet for a change. All the traffic must have been on the M2. The view looks familiar but it’s been a long time since I drove that way. Happy hiking.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Previous

Return to Walking & Hiking