Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 06 Sep 2020 14:33

My car went to a garage in Canterbury recently for an expensive repair; the turbo had stopped working ( :geek: the high pressure fuel pump needed replacing).

This morning, we used the car for the first time since I collected it. As soon as I put my foot down, the turbo failed again - with a worrying grumbling noise. Since we were closer to Canterbury than to home, we drove (limped!) straight to the garage to leave the car with them so that they could try to fix it again!

It's a 7 mile walk home from the garage and we made the most of it by including a few short detours.

With a couple of miles to go, we decided to take a path across a local farm but, cresting a hill, we saw that a field ahead was full of cows. Rather than retrace our last half-mile, my wife suggested we try to take a short cut into the woods and find our way from there.

I pointed out that we'd be trespassing until we were in the woods, but I followed anyway...

So we headed along the field edge alongside the woods looking for a way in. Eventually, I spotted a bit that looked promising, so in we went. The brambles made a half-hearted attempt to stop us, but they were past their best and we prevailed. We soon found a path, which led to a path I recognised and we were back on track:

An unexpected bit of adventure! :)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 07 Sep 2020 10:11

Very innovative of you. Hope they fix the car properly this time! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 16 Sep 2020 13:55

I wasn't planning to post a report of this morning's local walk that I've done many times before, but I'd never been overtaken by a Thames Barge at Faversham Creek before so I will... :)

I reached the North Kent coast at Seasalter and walked along the sea wall beside the marshes to Faversham Creek before looping back towards home through some of my favourite rural bits. A very pleasant 17.1 miles before lunch!

Somewhere along the sea wall - a couple of photos to show that I don't always take detours to avoid cattle... ;)

Faversham Creek crosses the marshes on its way to Faversham. The tide was high and I saw a few boats heading out to sea. Then I noticed a Thames Barge coming up the creek towards me, so I went down to the water's edge to take some photos.

I assumed this was Greta 1892, the barge that's usually moored at Whitstable Harbour, but it was one I hadn't seen before named Ironsides. I googled it and found it was built in 1900 (so younger than Greta) and has sides made of iron!

And finally, a couple of shots from a bridge near Graveney:

Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby rdw123 » 17 Sep 2020 08:59

Lovely to see the boat Dave. Ed made a model of one of these from scratch so good to see the real thing in action. I was chief sail maker and dyer! Yesterday would have been his birthday so it was quite fitting. Glad to see you were brave with the cows. Happy hiking in pastures new.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 17 Sep 2020 10:29

Those are great photos, Dave - haven't seen a Thames barge before, being from 'ooop North' :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 11 Oct 2020 14:46

Stodmarsh National Nature Reserve is an extensive area of wetlands a few miles east of Canterbury. There is very little in the way of dry land, just some raised pathways that cross reed-covered marshes. There are several large lakes and the River Stour flows along the northern edge. This is an amazing place for peace and tranquillity and water birds! It's become something of a regular weekend feature to take our grandsons and their mum on a walk to visit somewhere local they've not seen before and today our son-in-law was able to come too. :)

We parked at Grove Ferry, right next to the river. Our route was one that is popular in Kent walking guides; we followed a path across the marshes and went into the lovely village of Stodmarsh for a spot of sightseeing and lunch. We returned along the side of a lake (which looks green in the satellite view), then along the riverbank back to Grove Ferry.

Crossing the marshes:

Some delightful wet woodland just before Stodmarsh:

Checking the sundial in Stodmarsh, followed by a picnic lunch on the village green:

The attractive church:

Some views of the lake:

Returning along the riverbank:

This really is an enjoyable route - just 5.3 miles and almost no ascents. Highly recommended. :thumbup:

Edit:

My daughter has just posted this family selfie on Facebook: :D

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Oct 2020 09:25

Certainly looks a lovely area - very scenic - and ideal for a family day out.
Great family photo - your daughter is stunning (must take after her Mum ;) ) :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 12 Oct 2020 14:10

Gillzajoker wrote:Certainly looks a lovely area - very scenic - and ideal for a family day out.
Great family photo - your daughter is stunning (must take after her Mum ;) ) :D

She's very well practised at selfie-taking! ;)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Camela » 12 Oct 2020 17:17

Great that you an share your love of walking with your family.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 17 Oct 2020 15:19

This morning, my wife and I drove the short distance to a local woods car park to do a woodland and farmland circuit. The drive was to allow us to explore an area between Tyler Hill and Broad Oak (just north of Canterbury), and to include some paths and tracks we've not walked before. The squiggle to the right on our route was us backtracking to find an entrance into the woods.

Setting off into Blean Woods : Me posing by a cycle route sign, with my brand new body cam attached to my backpack strap. :)

I hadn't intended to do a write up on this rather dull day, but we came across a very photogenic area of sunflowers where we took lots of photos.

Here are a couple of them...

Sunflowers aren't uncommon in this area, but we've never before seen them covering such a large area:

Wonderful as sunflowers are, it was the combination with purple tansy flowers that really made for a fantastic sight:

The squiggle on the map was all down to these mushrooms. We spotted them as we crossed a field, went over and took some photos, then walked along the side of the field looking for a way into the woods. With our way blocked by a barbed-wire fence, we eventually gave up and retraced our steps.

Nearing the end of our very pleasant 10 mile countryside amble, we found a nice group of Fly Agaric toadstools:

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext