Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Dover . Fan Bay

Dover . Fan Bay

Dover . Fan Bay

Postby Borneo » 09 Feb 2019 14:26

Does anyone know anything about Fan Bay Tunnles or underground
As the Dover Castle is English Heritage. The Fan Bay is National Trust and as we are members of NT we would prefer to go there. It says it is where the light or mirror used during the war is there .
As we are doing a BTo B we will have some time in Dover. Does anyone know anything about it, and as it’s along the cliff so they say can it be walked from the cruise port.
Grateful for any help
Julia
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Dover . Fan Bay

Postby Dave » 09 Feb 2019 15:08

Hi Julia

I do a lot of walking in the Dover area and I've passed the entrance to the Fan Bay tunnels many times, although I've never been inside them.

This photo will give you an idea of the distance from the cruise terminal - Braemar is docked in the distance on the extreme left just below the horizon. The tunnels entrance area can be made out right of centre near the high point on the cliff top... (The distance is just over three miles on foot.)

There are easy to follow footpaths from the terminal to the National Trust visitor centre (where there's a very nice cafe!), but it's a fair climb as you can probably tell!

I took the previous photo from the top of the path that you can see in the distance in this photo...

It's a spectacular area and very well worth a visit!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Booked land-based holidays 2019: April - Surrey, June - Snowdonia, July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Dover . Fan Bay

Postby Borneo » 09 Feb 2019 18:03

Thanks for that Dave. Another question as it depends on how my back is . Is there a car park so we could take a taxi ?
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 09 Feb 2019 19:22

Borneo wrote:Thanks for that Dave. Another question as it depends on how my back is . Is there a car park so we could take a taxi ?

The only car park nearby is the National Trust one, which would leave you about a mile to walk to the tunnels. The path is well maintained although there are quite a few ups and downs.

(Click to enlarge!)
Dave

Booked land-based holidays 2019: April - Surrey, June - Snowdonia, July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 09 Feb 2019 19:30

Thank you we go in July the new Saga ship around Britain and then Chanel hop.
I’ll let you know how we get on.
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Dover . Fan Bay

Postby Dave » 20 Feb 2019 18:40

Just in case you miss it, I've added more about Fan Bay and the sound mirrors HERE. :D
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Europe