Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Amazing service from Cotswold Outdoor!

Amazing service from Cotswold Outdoor!

Postby Dave » 06 Jun 2017 17:08

Let's start with the bottom line...

I walked into the Cotswold Outdoor shop in Canterbury today with soggy feet. I left the shop with brand new boots, a pair of £20 walking socks, and a few pounds credited to my debit card - and it cost me absolutely nothing. :D

I'm still trying to get my head around what happened, and explaining it won't be easy (for you or for me!), but here goes:

This morning, I went for a walk in the pouring rain. After an hour I noticed my feet were getting wet, and after two hours my feet were soaking. After three hours I arrived in Canterbury and the rain had eased considerably. My boots were quite expensive and have a Gore-Tex lining, which I wouldn't expect to let water through (they hadn't up 'till now anyway!), so I decided to pop into Cotswold Outdoor where I bought them. The boots are six months old and have done a great many miles so I was only expecting some advice about re-proofing them (or whatever!). But as soon as the assistant saw my squelching boots he insisted on replacing them there and then with an identical new pair. And because I couldn't be expected to walk home with soggy socks he got me to try on a pair of "The Best Socks There Are". They felt good and, although I'd not usually spend £20 on one pair of socks, I was getting new boots worth over £160 so I was happy to buy them. However, at the till the assistant noticed that I'd used my LDWA (Long Distance Walkers Association) card recently which gives me a 15% discount and also that I'd paid full price for my boots (I hadn't been a member of the LDWA at the time), so he said that CO actually owed me around £25 because the 15% discount applied to the replacement boots (which have gone up in price since I bought mine)! So I got the socks for 'free', and money credited to my account - and a brand new pair of boots! Nice one Cotswold Outdoor! :clap:
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 06 Jun 2017 18:30

Fantastic Dave. It is experiences like this that restore your faith in retail service and promote brand loyalty. Well done Cotswold Outdoor! :clap:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 07 Jun 2017 00:13

Great Dave! Got €110 into my account today from Seascanner for onboard credit they omitted to give me on our Danube cruise. Then they told me I had 50€ OBC on the Aurelia cruise and €100 OBC on the Asara cruise - so today I made €260 for doing nothing!
Dont you just love them kind of days!

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Gillzajoker » 07 Jun 2017 09:35

Great results for both of you! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 14 Nov 2017 17:50

An update is called for. :D

In the original post I told of how I was given a brand new pair of walking boots at Cotswold Outdoor because the pair I'd bought from them some months previously were letting in water. That was more than five months ago and during that time the replacement boots also began to let in water. It's been a very gradual process, but last Saturday a walk that included going through wet grass left me with soggy feet once more. :cry:

The boots were Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX (I love the name!). I've got a pair of Salomon approach shoes which have done many more miles than my boots and have never let in water, and my wife has the women's version of my boots and they've never let in water either. So I guess I've just been unlucky.

Anyway, today I visited the Canterbury branch of Cotswold Outdoor to discuss the problem. As before, the member of staff who dealt with me was brilliant. He understood perfectly why I wouldn't be happy with another replacement pair of the same boots. So, after some expert measuring of my feet, and testing of various boots, I was able to choose a pair of Scarpa boots (R-Evo GTX!). They were £20 more expensive than the Salomon boots but, with my Ramblers discount, my new boots cost me just £17! :D

I'll say it again... the service from Cotswold Outdoor is amazing! :clap:
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Amazing service from Cotswold Outdoor!

Postby rdw123 » 15 Nov 2017 10:45

Hi Dave. If you have GTX boots does that mean you will be able to walk faster!!? Good to know where to go for good service. Happy walking in your new boots.
rdw123
Lieutenant
Lieutenant