Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Two go trail running together!

Two go trail running together!

Postby Gillzajoker » 05 Sep 2020 10:51

I am amazed at the stamina of you both! And enjoying more of your great photos, especially the
one of the Mill on the Great Stour - I'd be happy to hang that on my wall as a picture, any day! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 05 Sep 2020 11:22

Gillzajoker wrote:I am amazed at the stamina of you both! And enjoying more of your great photos, especially the
one of the Mill on the Great Stour - I'd be happy to hang that on my wall as a picture, any day! :D

It's a fantastic spot Gill. On one sunny walk, we ate our lunch sitting on the riverbank opposite the mill. 8-)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 05 Sep 2020 11:47

For this morning's 10km run, we parked by an out-of-the-way church near Blean - just a few minutes' drive away - and did a circuit through the villages of Tyler Hill and Broad Oak, which lie a little north of Canterbury. BTW, the greyish shapes to the left of Broad Oak on the map make up a vast covered area of strawberries:

This is a very convenient place to start a walk. There's never anyone here (except perhaps on Sundays!) and several footpaths are close by, including the Crab and Winkle Way, the Canterbury Outer Ring and the Big Blean Walk. (Oh, and that's my wife's new car - her first non-Fiat 500 for many years!)

Just setting off across the field by the church... and where we ended the 22.6 mile Canterbury Outer Ring walk last year:

Me managing to make it to the other side of the field... :)

A couple of attempts at arty shots...

A couple of shots of me standing on bridges - early on (L) and near the end (R)...:

...and another one a little over halfway through before we crossed one of many corn fields on the route. At this point, we should have gone left at the top of the steps, but the path was too overgrown, so we crossed the field and tried to make our way along the border on the far side...

...where there was no path and we were technically trespassing, but all went reasonably well. :)

Apart, that is, from having to climb through the occasional fallen tree! :)

Saying hello to some young cattle:

This was another thoroughly enjoyable run, albeit with slightly more walking than usual due to there being lots of gates as well as some overgrown and blocked paths to negotiate. Actually, I don't mind obstructions in the least, because they're a chance to get my breath back!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous

Return to Trail running