Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Walking the world, without leaving home!

Walking the world, without leaving home!

Postby Dave » 25 Jun 2020 11:22

Gillzajoker wrote:Lovely photos, Dave - there's something really special about standing stones, isn't there. :D

I totally agree Gill. :thumbup:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 25 Jun 2020 11:42

Day 16 of my treadmill trek from the very south to the very north of the Outer Hebrides began with a short ferry trip from Callanish to Linshader and from there I walked to the northern tip of Great Bernera. Our walk around the island in 2017 was one of the most scenic and interesting walks we've done in Scotland and the weather was good too, which helped a lot! :)

Great Bernera is reached by a single-track bridge. As soon as we were on the island, we stopped to investigate some standing stones on the hillside:

Ruined houses aren't uncommon in the Outer Hebrides, but this one still had many of the owners' contents - including furniture, a radio and other household items.

The landscape and the views out to sea along the west coast were spectacular. We found our way by following occasional posts and cairns - good fun!

I used this photo for my PC wallpaper when we got back...

Just before the wide, sandy beach at the northern tip of Great Bernera, we came across a reconstructed Iron Age dwelling:

A cool, clear stream arriving at the sea. I spent a happy half hour trying to divert it, but without much success:

(The island behind my wife is Little Bernera.)
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Walking the world, without leaving home!

Postby rdw123 » 26 Jun 2020 07:41

Lovely photos Dave. That house is a bit of a DIY project!
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Re: Walking the world, without leaving home!

Postby Gillzajoker » 26 Jun 2020 09:12

rdw123 wrote:Lovely photos Dave. That house is a bit of a DIY project!

I'm in full agreement about the wonderful photos - brilliant. But I reckon if that house was in
England it would be marketed as 'needs slight attention!' :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 27 Jun 2020 12:18

Day 17 (I think) of my treadmill trek around the Outer Hebrides took me to Carloway on the west coast of Lewis. In 2017, we did a fairly long walk in this incredibly scenic area. I took loads of photos and it's been a challenge to select just a few to show what an amazing place this is.

My Street View treadmill treks are getting a bit shorter as my routine changes. I'm alternating them with outdoor walks and including some running, which I'm hoping to get better at! At the moment, I do a video running workout for 30 minutes before the Street View walk - and I'm running half-a-mile of the final mile of that. Anyway, that's my excuse for reducing the trek to 8 miles today!

A broch at Doune Carloway:

A real highlight of the walk was a visit to the Blackhouse Village at Garenin. We were able to go inside the blackhouses and get a feel for what living there must have been like - and not that long ago:

Leaving the village and heading down to Loch Garenin beach:

A panoramic view of the beach:

We followed the spectacular, rugged coast to a small lighthouse at the tip of the peninsula:

The lighthouse can just be seen in the top-left corner of the photo:

It's a long way to the area of our next proper walk, so I'm going to head to Stornoway first - where we've done some shorter walks. It's still a fair way though, so it'll probably be a few days before I add to the blog...
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 28 Jun 2020 09:04

I thought ALL the photos today were really wonderful, Dave - totally amazing scenery! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 01 Jul 2020 13:24

Only one walk remains of those we've done on the Outer Hebrides and that was at the northernmost tip of Lewis and a long way from my last treadmill visit which was at Carloway. So to extend my treadmill trek a bit further than was strictly necessary, I did a virtual walk across Lewis to Stornoway. The walk took two treadmill sessions and was on a very straight, mostly level, rarely used, single track road where the scenery hardly changed until the last mile as I approached Stornoway.

We've been to Stornoway several times and in 2017 we walked around the town for a couple of hours while killing time waiting for the ferry. Here are some photos I took of the harbour, the visitor centre and the castle:

Next, I'll head north to the Butt of Lewis. It will be another few days before my next report... :)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 02 Jul 2020 09:03

Thanks for these, Dave - missed your offering yesterday :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 11 Jul 2020 13:36

Well that's it... after twenty-something days I've finally arrived at the Butt of Lewis - the northernmost tip of the Outer Hebrides. The total distance of my virtual toe to tip travels was a very real 233.3 miles!

The final few days of my treadmill trek were completely unworthy of mention, being along mainly straight, level roads with scenery that rarely changed; just moorland stretching as far as the eye could see. For the sake of completeness, I've done a collage of the last four route maps that took me from Stornoway to the far north of Lewis.

It wasn't until the very last leg this morning that I reached an area where we did a walk that I can reminisce about. It was the summer of 2017...

We parked by some sand dunes at Eoropie Beach on the west side of the Butt and walked along the west coast to the Butt of Lewis lighthouse. Then we walked down the east coast as far as Port of Ness and returned along roads back to the car.

The coastline is rugged and spectacular and the weather was okay for a while.

The Butt of Lewis lighthouse:

Great care was needed walking along the clifftop because there were deep chasms with drops to the sea below...

...as well as holes with drops to the sea below!

The weather got steadily worse and I'm pretty sure it was here that I made the decision to buy a decent waterproof jacket and overtrousers when we got home!

Our aim after seeing the lighthouse was to visit Dun Eistean, the site of an ancient stronghold atop a sea-stack. A bridge to the sea-stack is just visible in the photo:

Me on the bridge in the pouring rain:

And that's it for the Outer Hebrides. I like the idea of using my exercise sessions on the treadmill to re-visit some of our holiday walks, so there'll probably be more of the same before too long. :)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Jul 2020 09:26

Congratulations, Dave. Even in the rain, it's still stunning scenery :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Previous