Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Balcony cabin cheaper on bigger ships?

Balcony cabin cheaper on bigger ships?

Have a question? Why not post it here?

Postby Lady W » 05 Jun 2018 18:40

Haven’t had a chance to look for another cruise yet but was just wondering - I know some of you will know the answer.
We paid a considerable amount more to have a balcony cabin on the Spirit.
If I was to consider a larger ship, would the price of the balcony cabins be cheaper as there is more of them? :think:
Lady W
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 05 Jun 2018 19:00

Modern ships have far more balcony cabins so costs on the whole are more reasonable. :thumbup:

Ships such as P&O's Brittania have just inside and balconies so balcony cabins are reasonable. On the other hand Oriana has very few so cost is very very very high! :o I have had insides, outsides, balconies and suites. All depends on ship, itinerary, cost as to what we choose. Sometimes there are "deals" with free upgrades. In my opinion it's worth doing lots of research and having a few cruises you wouldn't mind doing. We aren't loyal to any one cruise line, we go with what we feel is a good deal. :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Balcony cabin cheaper on bigger ships?

Postby Lady W » 05 Jun 2018 19:24

Thanks for replying Mungo.
Will definitely have to take my time and spend ages infront of the PC!
Would love to have a fortnight onboard next time.
Lady W
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Balcony cabin cheaper on bigger ships?

Postby Camela » 05 Jun 2018 22:20

I agree, cruising means having the time to browse lots of sites or putting your faith in an agent. Mr P and I generally go for the former and once we've paid for the cruise don't look at prices again!! Having said that, the last one we went on had gone up to brochure price a couple of weeks before sailing. Still, job done as they say.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby Lady W » 06 Jun 2018 15:09

Yes, will take my time and look at all the options.
No hurry to book straight away. :D
Lady W
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 06 Jun 2018 16:27

Lady W wrote:Haven’t had a chance to look for another cruise yet but was just wondering - I know some of you will know the answer.
We paid a considerable amount more to have a balcony cabin on the Spirit.
If I was to consider a larger ship, would the price of the balcony cabins be cheaper as there is more of them? :think:

Although there's no definitive answer, in my experience balcony cabins tend to be much more expensive on smaller, older ships that have relatively few of them.

On Marella Spirit, for example, there are probably about 20 cabins with balconies whereas large ships might have hundreds. However, there are balconies and balconies.

I'd much rather have a balcony like the one you had on Spirit than any like those below, which are quite typical for ships with lots...

There might not be the same price differential for these compared with outside cabins on those ships, but then again you don't get a lot more for your money! ;)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 07 Jun 2018 08:31

Lady W, It's well known on here that we, my OH and I, like the big ships and balconies, so on all but a few of our cruises we have had the type of balcony that Dave has photographed.

However we have also had larger balconies on big ships too. Mostly these will be found at the aft on most ships either big or small and yes, usually more expensive than the standard size. It really all depends what use you want from your balcony area.

As we do not sunbathe a standard balcony where we have the pleasure of listening to, or watching the waves, especially in the morning or last thing at night, suits us just fine. If we have a larger one because of position of the cabin that's even better but as long as it's a balcony we are fine.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Lady W » 07 Jun 2018 20:31

Thanks Dave and Marie for replying.
Some of them do look quite small.
I was happy enough with our balcony on the Spirit. Not so happy about the price though! :o :shock:
Lady W
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom