Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cruising Mates is (not!) now encrypted.

Cruising Mates is (not!) now encrypted.

Helpful tips to improve your forum experience.

Cruising Mates is now encrypted.

Postby arkangel » 14 Dec 2017 16:17

Hopefully everything is back as it was. If you find that something isn't back to normal, then clearing your browser's history / cache should make it forget the last 24 hours!

My excuse goes like this... :oops:

Google advised setting up a secure connection (using https instead of http). SiteGround (who hosts this site) offered a simple one-click installation. It wasn't quite as simple as they made out! Lots of issues needed sorting out, and more problems kept coming to light. So I thought the most sensible thing would be to put everything back as it was. Oh well... :D
(Dave)
arkangel
Administrator
Administrator

National Flag:
United Nations

Re: Cruising Mates is (not!) now encrypted.

Postby rdw123 » 15 Dec 2017 08:35

That explains why I couldn’t access the site yesterday. Seems ok today after I logged in, it wouldn’t accept me yesterday.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Cruising Mates is (not!) now encrypted.

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 Dec 2017 10:21

I got in ok yesterday, but today I had to log in again and tick the keep me logged in box, so hope that is just a one-off :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby khkate » 25 Jan 2018 09:40

Used to see a summary of new topics at the bottom of the screen when not logged in - but this is no longer available. I have cleared cache/history etc. Any ideas?
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Dave » 25 Jan 2018 14:47

khkate wrote:Used to see a summary of new topics at the bottom of the screen when not logged in - but this is no longer available. I have cleared cache/history etc. Any ideas?

I removed that panel a couple of weeks ago, and I also removed the ads from forum pages. Both the ads and the panel made demands on the hosting requirements and those demands required an expensive level of hosting. With so little activity on the forum nowadays I can no longer justify spending almost £50 per month to have it hosted; by removing those features it should be possible to reduce the cost of hosting to about £10 per month - an amount I'm happy to spend even if no one posts anything!
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous