Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Playa Chen Rio beach, Cozumel, Mexico

Playa Chen Rio beach, Cozumel, Mexico

Postby Dave » 11 Feb 2018 13:14

I did wonder if I should post this under North America since that's where Mexico is (despite some claims to the contrary! ;) ), but the island of Cozumel is in the Caribbean Sea so I'll put it here and keep everyone happy. :D

Of the three beaches we visited on our Christmas 2017 cruise, Playa Chen Rio on Cozumel was our favourite. (In case you missed my other reviews, they are: Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman and Doctor's Cave Beach, Montego Bay, Jamaica.)

This beach is unusual for Cozumel because it is on the exposed eastern coast where the sea is quite rough, but it's in a bay that's protected by a large rocky outcrop and the result is calm, clear, shallow, warm water. Below the surface there are a lot of rocks which meant there were a great many fish and so the snorkelling was excellent.

There's a beach bar and restaurant nearby and it all felt very relaxed and peaceful. One odd thing though... On arriving at the beach we saw a row of very basic vacant sun-loungers and umbrellas so we enquired as to the cost. It was $10 per person for a lounger, and an extra $5 for the umbrella! We laid out our towels on the sand and saved ourselves $25. 8-) I have to wonder about the sunbed-owner's business sense though. Not one person rented a lounger the whole time we were there, so no money was taken. But we would happily have paid $10 - as would some other people we spoke to... :think:
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Playa Chen Rio beach, Cozumel, Mexico

Postby rdw123 » 12 Feb 2018 08:33

Dave. Looks like the beach on Tortola that I visited recently on a 4wd safari. Tortola was devastated by a hurricane and they are only just getting back on their feet again. The beach had only just reopened as there was a lot of debris in the mangroves which all had to be cleared. Not many people there, I found a lovely spot to spread my towel and a convenient tree stump to hang my bag from. Sea was lovely and warm. Memories.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby grannyM » 14 Feb 2018 11:12

Nice photos Dave. Looks a great beach. I'll bet you wish you were there now. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 15 Feb 2018 12:23

grannyM wrote:Nice photos Dave. Looks a great beach. I'll bet you wish you were there now. :D

Indeed I do Marie!

It's a strange thing, but having now decided to do mainly non-cruising holidays, when we get back to the Caribbean for a week's cruise over Christmas it feels like we've never been away. We love it! :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom