Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Postby BeckyG86 » 05 Nov 2018 20:36

Hello! It has been a while since I have posted on here but wondered if anyone could shed anymore light on the Zika Virus.

Me and my Husband are going on a week long cruise around the Caribbean in 6 weeks time. We will be joining my in-laws who are going for two weeks. We will be visiting St Lucia, St Maarten, Antigua, Dominica and Barbados. We have checked about any vaccinations, etc necessary and know we don’t need anything. However our main concern is the Zika Virus, and all destinations that we are going to are “moderate” risk. We are going to take mosquito nets as a precaution, and will get insect and mosquito repellents before we go, and also get some from the local area as I have heard from past holidays that it is better getting the local ones as they are better for the local insects. We have plug in repellents as well so will look at taking those as well.

The biggest concern is that, and we have not broadcast this particularly yet, we are going to start trying for a baby, and the concern is the risk to the baby. I am reading advice from NHS and other sites and getting a little confused as to whether it would be safe to try or not. We don’t want to be selfish but do want to start a family too. Has anyone been to the Caribbean recently and if so is the risk as high has I have been reading?
BeckyG86
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Zika Virus

Postby Camela » 05 Nov 2018 23:56

I'd contact your GP practice nurses, they seem to be the ones to deal with regarding innoculations and health precautions for foreign travel.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Re: Zika Virus

Postby judgegeoff » 06 Nov 2018 00:06

Camela wrote:I'd contact your GP practice nurses, they seem to be the ones to deal with regarding innoculations and health precautions for foreign travel.

Good advice Camela. Our doctor's practice has a form that we fill out advising them of the Countries that we are visiting and when. The practice nurses review this against the latest UK Government information for the health situation of the Countries that we have listed and advise us of any injections that we might need and any precautions that we should take. If you tell your practice nurse of your future intentions Becky I am sure that they will be able to give you good advice.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Zika Virus

Postby Gillzajoker » 06 Nov 2018 14:37

Yes, definitely advice from your surgery. However, as your proposed trip is in 6 week's time, not a huge time to wait, I personally would err on the side of caution, and wait until your return before 'trying'. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Zika Virus

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 17 Nov 2018 10:17

BeckyG86 wrote:Hello! It has been a while since I have posted on here but wondered if anyone could shed anymore light on the Zika Virus.

Me and my Husband are going on a week long cruise around the Caribbean in 6 weeks time. We will be joining my in-laws who are going for two weeks. We will be visiting St Lucia, St Maarten, Antigua, Dominica and Barbados. We have checked about any vaccinations, etc necessary and know we don’t need anything. However our main concern is the Zika Virus, and all destinations that we are going to are “moderate” risk. We are going to take mosquito nets as a precaution, and will get insect and mosquito repellents before we go, and also get some from the local area as I have heard from past holidays that it is better getting the local ones as they are better for the local insects. We have plug in repellents as well so will look at taking those as well.

The biggest concern is that, and we have not broadcast this particularly yet, we are going to start trying for a baby, and the concern is the risk to the baby. I am reading advice from NHS and other sites and getting a little confused as to whether it would be safe to try or not. We don’t want to be selfish but do want to start a family too. Has anyone been to the Caribbean recently and if so is the risk as high has I have been reading?

from my understanding of it is most dangerous in what the Americans refer to as the first trimester as this is when the baby head and things first develop. However if you are in second phase of the pregenancy there is still a medium risk. If you are pregenant its recommended you don't go to places where large amounts of mosquittos are found i would assume this is places with lots of vegetation. That is why Meghan did not accompany Prince Harry to some of their destinations when on their Royal visit. Just one interesting thing to note Zika virus has been around since the 1950's its only been recently when a large sporting event was taking place in one of the regions that it made big news. Also If you do contract it you would need to wait several months before having unprotected sex or trying for a baby. WHO (world health organisation) recommend you do not travel to zika areas if your pregnant or trying for a baby.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Return to Caribbean