Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Jet lag

Jet lag

Jet lag

Postby BeckyG86 » 27 Dec 2018 21:13

Has anyone suffered with jet lag after visiting the Caribbean? We got back on Sunday and it’s now Thursday and I am still really tired! This is my first long haul and transatlantic trip (the furthest previously was the Norwegian Fjords and Canaries and Greek Islands). Monday I kept falling back to sleep in the morning, finally waking up about 11am, then it was Christmas Day and Boxing Day, and managed to get up about 9am and not having a nap, but today I have gone back to struggling to walke up again, waking up about 11am, forcing myself out of bed to get shopping and just feeling so tired all day, even having a nap at about 4-5pm, and still ready to go to bed at about 7.30pm. On Monday my husband insisted that I didn’t have jet lag and was just tired, but I’m beginning to beg to differ now! I have also had a few problems in the stomach department (without going in to detail), but that can be normal with me from time to time too. Thankfully I am not back at work until Wednesday so have a week to recover but I wonder if anyone else has had it and how long it tends to last. I understand everyone is different but wondered if it was normal to feel it 4 days after travelling.
BeckyG86
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Jet lag

Postby judgegeoff » 28 Dec 2018 08:59

Hi Becky, yes, I certainly suffer from jet lag to some degree and I think most people do to be honest. I never really sleep on a plane, just doze for a few minutes here and there, despite having done a lot of long haul flying (typically in excess of 12 hours to/from South Africa). It is not just the flight itself that is tiring, but also the time spent at the departure airport checking in, going through security and boarding the aircraft etc. Then, when you land at your home airport, you have the miles of corridors before getting through immigration and the baggage hall - all very stressful and tiring. That plus the time difference, can be a problem. Therefore I am always very tired after returning from a long haul holiday and it is not really sensible to drive. I used to leave my car at the airport or at an airport hotel but, now I am in my twilight years (and have to drive a car with hand controls), I always get a very reliable local taxi company to run us to the airport and pick us up on our return. If really tired we can sleep in the taxi (Chris almost always does), much safer than trying to drive on the motorways.

We have done a number of cruises where we have flown to an overseas port and cruised back to the UK and, of course, there is no jet lag then, but there is the question of getting to the airport and getting home from the port. On those occasions we used to use rental cars - the first car was delivered to our house and then left at the facility at the airport and we used to pick up the second car at the port and it was then collected from our home. But, now I am disabled and cannot drive 'normal' cars, we have to use the taxi company.

Some cruise companies like Saga provide chauffeur driven cars to the port or airport and will deliver you home at the end of the holiday but, as yet, we haven't tried cruising with them.

So yes, jet lag is pretty normal and it can take some time to recover from the time difference and the stress of flying. You are not alone Becky!
Geoff
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Jet lag

Postby Borneo » 28 Dec 2018 09:54

We have just done a total of 13 hours flying time plus as Geof says it’s the travel time ( to airport ) and two hours in transit waiting for onward flight. Not to mention the 6 and half hours time difference.
I found I was ok for first 2/3 days, apart from waking at 3/4 in the morning. It was on the 4th day it hit me. My brain just wouldn’t work, even the simplest task, it took another 4 days to get anything like normal.

I’ve said yet again that’s the last long haul I’m doing,
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Jet lag

Postby khkate » 28 Dec 2018 17:49

I used to do a lot of long-haul flights and never used to be affected as i could fall asleep easily on the plane. Mind you, you, I never had any major time difference - the most was 2 hours. However, in 2005 when we flew to Uganda via dubai was the first time i got affected by jet lag. When we did south Africa last year - #I really felt then also - not so much because of the time difference, but because of the long flight and flying in itself these days does not tend to be so relaxing anyway.

i tend to suffer "time lag" when the clocks keep changing for summer and winter and it can take me a good few days for my body clock to get back into sync with routines etc.

Even with cruising, my body clock quite often feels out of sync for a few days. Whilst i am generally lucky enough not to be affected by the motion of the sea whilst on board, I often suffer with "land legs syndrome" when i get home - often feeling the "motion of the ocean" when standing still. We all suffer in one way or another. hope you get your body rhythms back in sync soon.
Future Cruises - Canaries Canada, Iberia, Med, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Jet lag

Postby BeckyG86 » 28 Dec 2018 19:13

We landed on Sunday and on Monday morning (Christmas Eve) I kept waking up and falling asleep, so I made a comment that I was beginning to understand what jet lag was like, and my husband said that it wasn’t jet lag, I was just tired! Christmas Day and Boxing Day I woke up at about 9-10am and stayed awake all day, but yesterday I really struggled, it was like it all caught up with me- I fell back to sleep when my husband went to work, finally woke up at around 11am, but all day I was so tired, even napping in the afternoon, and wanted to go to bed at 7.30pm (I stayed awake). I had loads to get done in the house but really had no energy to do it (a drive to my local Morrison’s, which is less than 5 minutes away was all I did). Last night I woke up a few times but fell back to sleep right away, and woke up at about 10-11am again. I love a lie in but I hope I start waking up a little earlier in time to return to work next week!
Oh well, today was better, I managed to get stuff done in the house, but going tired now! My husband is ok really, but he is used to working standby Rita’s so can be out working all night, whereas I don’t do any night work and never have done, and I am not used to flying more than about 4 and a half hours and time differences being either 1 or 2 hours in front of the UK, so I think I am just not used to it!
BeckyG86
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Jet lag

Postby Camela » 28 Dec 2018 19:37

Becky, you got back within 2 days of Christmas and had to deal with Christmas so no long lie-ins understandable that body clock rather shot!! We're quite experienced long haul travellers and coming in from West usually need sleep as flight means short night. We try to restrict it to a couple of hours then go to bed at normal time. For a couple of days allow ourselves a bit of a lie-in (commitments permitting) while trying to get back onto normal bedtimes as soon as. Don't beat yourself up as everyone takes different amount of time to recover.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Jet lag

Postby BeckyG86 » 28 Dec 2018 21:23

I’m going to bed at normal times but it’s gett up that’s the problem. My parents are coming over tomorrow morning so will have to be up early. It might be an afternoon nap kind of day tomorrow! It was more the number of days we have been home and the affects that worried me a bit, thought by a few days it would be ok.
BeckyG86
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Caribbean