Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - St Kitts

St Kitts

St Kitts

Postby jenny wren » 12 Feb 2012 23:03

Just returned from our 35 night cruise to Caribbean and USA on Oceana and thought I would share this with you....the St Kitts Railway, which always seems to get good reviews, had some rather less complementary comments from fellow passengers on our recent cruise.....we didn't go as I didn't fancy the bridges.....but some commented that there was not much to see and it was rather expensive.

We chose to go for a walk and find Palm Court Gardens which I had read about on another cruise forum....so we left the ship with our bottles of water and asked the way at the Tourist Information Desk at the end of the pier...we were waved in the general direction of the left hand side of the pier, so armed with cameras and water we walked around the bay from here....there were lots of pelicans and frigate birds waiting for bits of fish that were being gutted on the seafront....we kept walking around the bay until we came to a war memorial and with our backs to the sea looking up the hill directly in front of us we could see an advertising board on the pavement....luckily someone was just coming down the hill so we asked them if they saw what it said and yes you guessed.....it was Palm Court Gardens! So with renewed energy we walked up the hill (well half way) and through the gateway into paradise!! We walked up the driveway (where there was an old Rolls Royce parked!) with a lawned area with statues and a beautiful stone painted seat...two gardeners were working here....off the lawned area there was a path to a 'secret garden' shaded with statues again and a fountain and labelled plants. Continuing up the driveway through potted plants and seats we arrived at a beautiful 'infinity' swimming pool surrounded by cushioned loungers and umbrellas and the most fantastic view of the bay......sunbeds could be rented for 10 dollars with use of the pool...there was a small bar area...a washroom...and a path to a shell ornament making area and a small shop. There is no entry fee but there is a box to put in money for a local childrens charity if you wish. We loved the place !
jenny wren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: St Kitts

Postby Capn Jack Sparrow » 13 Feb 2012 08:53

Cheers Jenny ................. I`ve booked the Railway ( Ooopps ) but I`ll tell you if it`s good or bad when i get back . Glad you enjoyed the Gardens though , sound very nice indeed .
World Club Member .... CUNARD

Atlantic Peninsular Member.... P & O Cruises

Classic Captains Club Member .... Celebrity X

Dinghy Sailor Activity Badge .... The Scouts

Red Sea Sailor ... Thomson Celebration

Capn Jack Sparrow
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Somalia

Postby Jimmy the One » 13 Feb 2012 09:38

Quite sure you will enjoy the railway Cap'n we certainly did our photos are on the site somewhere :D
Jim
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Capn Jack Sparrow » 13 Feb 2012 13:04

Jimmy the One wrote:Quite sure you will enjoy the railway Cap'n we certainly did our photos are on the site somewhere :D
Jim

Cheers for that JTO ........... I`ll have a look around for them ! ........... All Aboard !!
World Club Member .... CUNARD

Atlantic Peninsular Member.... P & O Cruises

Classic Captains Club Member .... Celebrity X

Dinghy Sailor Activity Badge .... The Scouts

Red Sea Sailor ... Thomson Celebration

Capn Jack Sparrow
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Somalia

Postby Jimmy the One » 13 Feb 2012 15:06

Capn Jack Sparrow wrote:
Jimmy the One wrote:Quite sure you will enjoy the railway Cap'n we certainly did our photos are on the site somewhere :D
Jim

Cheers for that JTO ........... I`ll have a look around for them ! ........... All Aboard !!

Link for our Caribbean picshttps://picasaweb.google.com/gm4vgr/CaribbeanNovember2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCKLz6NGczc-k-gE#
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Return to Caribbean