Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby JollyJill » 03 Mar 2013 02:52

We will be visiting these islands in April and would be grateful for any advice on what to see and do whilst we are there.

Having looked at the ship's excursions (mv Voyager), they look rather expensive. I have looked on the 'What's in Port' Website, which suggests that as with most Caribbean islands, it is easy to get a tour by taxi.

Any suggestions would be most helpful. :)
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 13:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby JollyJill » 04 Mar 2013 12:33

I'm bumping this topic. Has nobody on this forum veen to any of these islands?
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 13:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby Wansbrough » 04 Mar 2013 13:29

Been to all 3 Jill.

Bermuda

Cayman Islands, we went to Grand Cayman and what I call a taxi tour. We visited Hell, a rum cake shop, and a turtle farm of which I could have stayed at much longer than we did as I found the huge turtles absolutely amazing.

Bahamas, I got off the ship to take some photos of the ships in port. It was part of a transatlantic cruise from Florida and we wanted make the most of the empty ship and the fantastic weather.
User avatar
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward
 
Posts: 4957
Joined: 13 Mar 2011 07:55
Location: North Somerset
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby Fossil » 04 Mar 2013 13:58

Hi Jill,
I didn't reply because I mentioned to you some ideas when we had lunch recently. One I didn't mention was Hiltons British Colonial Hotel. Off the ship and onto the main street. Turn right and after a couple of hundred yards follow the road round a right bend to the hotel. It has an interesting history in that it was orginally the site of the Old Fort that guarded the entrance to Nassau harbour from pirates. It was also used as a filming location for the James Bond films Thunderball and Never Say Never Again. Has a nice private beach where you can relax and enjoy a drink.
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 13:29
Location: Now days, on a ship somewhere.

Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby JollyJill » 04 Mar 2013 15:05

Wansbrough wrote:Been to all 3 Jill.

Bermuda

Cayman Islands, we went to Grand Cayman and what I call a taxi tour. We visited Hell, a rum cake shop, and a turtle farm of which I could have stayed at much longer than we did as I found the huge turtles absolutely amazing.

Bahamas, I got off the ship to take some photos of the ships in port. It was part of a transatlantic cruise from Florida and we wanted make the most of the empty ship and the fantastic weather.


Thanks Mike. I looked in the Caribbean section of ports of call which is why I didn't your thread on Bermuda.


Thanks for the info which i am sure will help us make informed decisions when going ashore. :)
:)
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 13:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby JollyJill » 04 Mar 2013 15:07

Fossil wrote:Hi Jill,
I didn't reply because I mentioned to you some ideas when we had lunch recently. One I didn't mention was Hiltons British Colonial Hotel. Off the ship and onto the main street. Turn right and after a couple of hundred yards follow the road round a right bend to the hotel. It has an interesting history in that it was orginally the site of the Old Fort that guarded the entrance to Nassau harbour from pirates. It was also used as a filming location for the James Bond films Thunderball and Never Say Never Again. Has a nice private beach where you can relax and enjoy a drink.


Thanks Alan. I need to have these things in writing so that I can print them off an take them with me. I would never remember anything otherwise. :roll:
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 13:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby pisces55 » 04 Mar 2013 16:30

Not been to Bermuda

We went to Grand Cayman just had a look around town the went to Hard Rock Cafe not very adventurous



Bahamas Nassau we went to a Breezes hotel A/I resort and lay on the beach all day not very exciting but we enjoyed it
Diane

Image
User avatar
pisces55
Commodore
Commodore
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: 30 Aug 2012 21:44
Location: Edinburgh
National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby JollyJill » 04 Mar 2013 16:46

pisces55 wrote:Not been to Bermuda

We went to Grand Cayman just had a look around town the went to Hard Rock Cafe not very adventurous



Bahamas Nassau we went to a Breezes hotel A/I resort and lay on the beach all day not very exciting but we enjoyed it

Thanks Diane. Sometimes the least exciting option can turn out to be the best.
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 13:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom


Return to Caribbean



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests