Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby JollyJill » 03 Mar 2013 02:52

We will be visiting these islands in April and would be grateful for any advice on what to see and do whilst we are there.

Having looked at the ship's excursions (mv Voyager), they look rather expensive. I have looked on the 'What's in Port' Website, which suggests that as with most Caribbean islands, it is easy to get a tour by taxi.

Any suggestions would be most helpful. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Cayman Islands, Bermuda & Bahamas

Postby JollyJill » 04 Mar 2013 12:33

I'm bumping this topic. Has nobody on this forum veen to any of these islands?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 04 Mar 2013 13:29

Been to all 3 Jill.

Bermuda

Cayman Islands, we went to Grand Cayman and what I call a taxi tour. We visited Hell, a rum cake shop, and a turtle farm of which I could have stayed at much longer than we did as I found the huge turtles absolutely amazing.

Bahamas, I got off the ship to take some photos of the ships in port. It was part of a transatlantic cruise from Florida and we wanted make the most of the empty ship and the fantastic weather.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Fossil » 04 Mar 2013 13:58

Hi Jill,
I didn't reply because I mentioned to you some ideas when we had lunch recently. One I didn't mention was Hiltons British Colonial Hotel. Off the ship and onto the main street. Turn right and after a couple of hundred yards follow the road round a right bend to the hotel. It has an interesting history in that it was orginally the site of the Old Fort that guarded the entrance to Nassau harbour from pirates. It was also used as a filming location for the James Bond films Thunderball and Never Say Never Again. Has a nice private beach where you can relax and enjoy a drink.
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Postby JollyJill » 04 Mar 2013 15:05

Wansbrough wrote:Been to all 3 Jill.

Bermuda

Cayman Islands, we went to Grand Cayman and what I call a taxi tour. We visited Hell, a rum cake shop, and a turtle farm of which I could have stayed at much longer than we did as I found the huge turtles absolutely amazing.

Bahamas, I got off the ship to take some photos of the ships in port. It was part of a transatlantic cruise from Florida and we wanted make the most of the empty ship and the fantastic weather.

Thanks Mike. I looked in the Caribbean section of ports of call which is why I didn't your thread on Bermuda.

Thanks for the info which i am sure will help us make informed decisions when going ashore. :)
:)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 04 Mar 2013 15:07

Fossil wrote:Hi Jill,
I didn't reply because I mentioned to you some ideas when we had lunch recently. One I didn't mention was Hiltons British Colonial Hotel. Off the ship and onto the main street. Turn right and after a couple of hundred yards follow the road round a right bend to the hotel. It has an interesting history in that it was orginally the site of the Old Fort that guarded the entrance to Nassau harbour from pirates. It was also used as a filming location for the James Bond films Thunderball and Never Say Never Again. Has a nice private beach where you can relax and enjoy a drink.

Thanks Alan. I need to have these things in writing so that I can print them off an take them with me. I would never remember anything otherwise. :roll:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby pisces55 » 04 Mar 2013 16:30

Not been to Bermuda

We went to Grand Cayman just had a look around town the went to Hard Rock Cafe not very adventurous

Bahamas Nassau we went to a Breezes hotel A/I resort and lay on the beach all day not very exciting but we enjoyed it
Diane

pisces55
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 04 Mar 2013 16:46

pisces55 wrote:Not been to Bermuda

We went to Grand Cayman just had a look around town the went to Hard Rock Cafe not very adventurous

Bahamas Nassau we went to a Breezes hotel A/I resort and lay on the beach all day not very exciting but we enjoyed it

Thanks Diane. Sometimes the least exciting option can turn out to be the best.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Caribbean