Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - St Vincent & the Genadines

St Vincent & the Genadines

St Vincent & the Genadines

Postby Dave » 25 Mar 2011 08:37

To be honest, if it hadn't been for this photo I wouldn't have known which island we were on when we did this DIY excursion. I have trouble distinguishing some Caribbean ports of call in my memory!

This was a simple, cheap, but enjoyable excursion. Several small boats were only a minute from the ship and we liked the look of the Pirates, so we climbed aboard:

I can't remember the cost - perhaps $10? We shot along at high speed for about 30 minutes and arrived at a small beach:

The Pirates told us that they'd go back and forth during the day, calling every half-hour or so. We hoped they hadn't abandoned us!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

St Vincent & the Genadines (2)

Postby Dave » 25 Mar 2011 08:46

Although the beach was small and got quite crowded as the day went on, we found a shady spot and laid out our towels. You can't tell from the few photos we took, but snorkelling was excellent - shallow coral by the beach, and deeper, more adventurous exploration off the rocks in the distance:

Fortunately, the Pirates did return and the journey back was more relaxed. Again, the photo doesn't do justice to the 'sight-seeing' of flora and fauna we passed along the coast:

It was a good day's DIY - and a thumbs-up for the Pirates of St Vincent. :thumbup:

Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: St Vincent & the Genadines

Postby JollyJill » 25 Mar 2011 09:05

We visited St Vincent last year on OV. Having been told that there was not a great deal of interest on the island (was that duff information?) we took a ship's excursion to Bequia, which is another, much smaller island which we sailed to on a big old sailing boat. It hacked along as the wind was favourable and I loved every minute of it-OH on the other hand has very little experience of sailing and found it a bit too hairy. :o When I get my other laptop back, I will post some pics. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 25 Mar 2011 09:10

JollyJill wrote:We visited St Vincent last year on OV. Having been told that there was not a great deal of interest on the island (was that duff information?) we took a ship's excursion to Bequia, which is another, much smaller island which we sailed to on a big old sailing boat. It hacked along as the wind was favourable and I loved every minute of it-OH on the other hand has very little experience of sailing and found it a bit too hairy. :o When I get my other laptop back, I will post some pics. :)

I think I remember seeing it from the ship Jill. I look forward to see your photos. :)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby RobBar » 25 Mar 2011 17:08

We were in St Vincent last November and fully enjoyed ourselves and I was able to remember the Islands by comparing the date stamp I activated on my camera with our schedule of 14 days.
It is a very hilly counry with narrow roads and in our case we took an excursions and enjoyed the fine rums of the island and the flora
RobBar

Postby Fossil » 25 Mar 2011 19:16

We were in St Vincent last November on Ventura. It poured with rain most of the day so we didn't get a chance to explore it. It had also been hit on by the same hurricane that had devestated St. Lucia. Would like to go back when the sun is out. Would also like to go back to Dominica.
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Postby JollyJill » 25 Mar 2011 19:47

A couple of pictures of our trip to Bequia from St. Vincent.

[imghttp://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10058/normal_DSCF0345.JPG[/img]

Oops- I've done something wrong-again. :oops:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 25 Mar 2011 20:24

JollyJill wrote:A couple of pictures of our trip to Bequia from St. Vincent.

Oops- I've done something wrong-again. :oops:

No Jill, it was just a tiny little missing [ ;)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 25 Mar 2011 20:27

Oh yes, so it was. Thanks Dave. Here's another.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby RobBar » 25 Mar 2011 23:20

Nice pictures Jolly Jill
WE were in St Vincent a week or so afterwards
RobBar

Next