Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - St Vincent & the Genadines

St Vincent & the Genadines

Re: St Vincent & the Genadines

Postby Wansbrough » 02 Apr 2011 19:48

We visited St Vincent in Jan 2009 while doing an Caribbean Island hop on the Grand Princess. We took the option of walking into town and were taken aback by the poverty.
There were many locals sat in the shade selling small items of local produce, there was also one chap wondering around the main street stoned out of his mind. Not the most comfortable of ports of call. We last 30 minutes and returned to the ship to lie in the sun and read our books. By the looks of it we took the wrong option.....I pleased there is a nicer side to St Vincent
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: St Vincent & the Genadines

Postby Wansbrough » 03 Apr 2011 19:08

The only thing memorable of our day there was the magnificent rainbow.

Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 16 Nov 2012 15:53

As we are returning to St Vincent on ournext cruise, I thought I would give this thread an airing. Has anyone been there in the last year or two? It seems to me that there is not a great deal to do on this island, which is probably why we opted for the sail to Bequia the last we were there. Unless anyone can suggest something else, we might well try the 'Pirates' water taxi to the beach that Dave mentioned.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 16 Nov 2012 16:08

JollyJill wrote:As we are returning to St Vincent on ournext cruise, I thought I would give this thread an airing. Has anyone been there in the last year or two? It seems to me that there is not a great deal to do on this island, which is probably why we opted for the sail to Bequia the last we were there. Unless anyone can suggest something else, we might well try the 'Pirates' water taxi to the beach that Dave mentioned.

I don't know if I'd recommend it very strongly Jill. The beach was okay but small and the snorkelling was great, but it got quite crowded and there was little shade. Also, we began to wonder if the Pirates would actually come back for us! They did, and we were treated to a bit of sightseeing on the way back.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 16 Nov 2012 16:47

Dave wrote:
JollyJill wrote:As we are returning to St Vincent on ournext cruise, I thought I would give this thread an airing. Has anyone been there in the last year or two? It seems to me that there is not a great deal to do on this island, which is probably why we opted for the sail to Bequia the last we were there. Unless anyone can suggest something else, we might well try the 'Pirates' water taxi to the beach that Dave mentioned.

I don't know if I'd recommend it very strongly Jill. The beach was okay but small and the snorkelling was great, but it got quite crowded and there was little shade. Also, we began to wonder if the Pirates would actually come back for us! They did, and we were treated to a bit of sightseeing on the way back.

Thanks Dave but unless someone else comes up with a recommendation, we will probably give it a go. I don't think I fancy walking round th town and the ship's excursions are not very inspiring.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous

Return to Caribbean