Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Bus from Civi to Rome

Bus from Civi to Rome

Bus from Civi to Rome

Postby issyalex » 26 Jul 2016 15:51

Has anyone used smart cruise tours.com from Civi to Rome?

The return bus is €19pp and if you want a tour with guide it's an additional €10pp. It's a normal sized bus that picks you up at 9.30am Where the shuttle bus drops you and picks you up again in Rome at 4.30pm, same as Celebritys drop off return bus tour but they're charging approx $45pp! We would be happy with the return ticket and to do our own thing in Rome but would love to hear if anyone has used them.

Thanks in advance.
Don't want to work just want to cruise.
issyalex
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Scotland

Bus from Civi to Rome

Postby grannyM » 26 Jul 2016 16:59

I've never heard of them but it does sounds very reasonable Izzy. It looks an impressive website too. :)

Smart cruise tours/Rome

I see it says 'Guaranteed return on time'. This would be my only concern - how can they 'guarantee' what the roads would be like on any given day. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Bus from Civi to Rome

Postby issyalex » 26 Jul 2016 18:56

Marie it states on their website that they will use other routes if necessary, they also leave Rome about 4.30pm and the ship departs at 7pm.
It is a great price. I would go for the train but hubby is Mr worrybags! He worries about the train being cancelled, it not turning up, being too full........................lol however he seems to like/trust the bus!
issyalex
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Scotland

Bus from Civi to Rome

Postby tomvet » 26 Jul 2016 19:08

Never heard of them Issy but then again like you I have on both occasions we docked in Civitavecchia, we took the train, therefore had to do no research beyond that. I would take a chance, if you are happy with the morning transfer, the evening should be fine. If they are fly by nights and dont turn up in the morning, well you can have a nice day in Civitavecchia ;) At least you won't miss the ship. What is your next port after Rome?
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby issyalex » 26 Jul 2016 19:16

I had the same thoughts as you Tom and if I pay with my CC I'm covered if they don't turn up and we can wander around Civi. :)

Our other ports are Salerno, Santorini, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens and Malta before arriving back in Barcelona.
issyalex
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Scotland

Bus from Civi to Rome

Postby grannyM » 27 Jul 2016 13:14

issyalex wrote:Marie it states on their website that they will use other routes if necessary, they also leave Rome about 4.30pm and the ship departs at 7pm.
It is a great price. I would go for the train but hubby is Mr worrybags! He worries about the train being cancelled, it not turning up, being too full........................lol however he seems to like/trust the bus!

I would say it's definitely worth a try Izzy. Do you think you would add the tour to the basic transfer? :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Bus from Civi to Rome

Postby issyalex » 28 Jul 2016 22:21

grannyM wrote:
issyalex wrote:Marie it states on their website that they will use other routes if necessary, they also leave Rome about 4.30pm and the ship departs at 7pm.

I would say it's definitely worth a try Izzy. Do you think you would add the tour to the basic transfer? :)

Yes I think so too Marie. I'm not sure about the tour as we've done an organised tour before as well as drop off by ships bus. I would prefer the drop off and pick up the bus later but I will need to see what Alex wants to do because if he's relaxed and happy then so am I!!! :lol: :lol: and it's not worth the divorce! :o :lol:
issyalex
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Scotland

Bus from Civi to Rome

Postby grannyM » 29 Jul 2016 10:42

issyalex wrote:
grannyM wrote:

Yes I think so too Marie. I'm not sure about the tour as we've done an organised tour before as well as drop off by ships bus. I would prefer the drop off and pick up the bus later but I will need to see what Alex wants to do because if he's relaxed and happy then so am I!!! :lol: :lol: and it's not worth the divorce! :o :lol:

Totally agree Izzy. Our first time visiting Rome I booked the wrong excursion and it was a walking tour - 40+ degrees - neither of us were happy about that one. Next 2 times - train or bus transfer and then did our own thing. Much better, well, for us anyway. :thumbup:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 01 Aug 2016 13:53

Not being funny but there is only one road in and out of the port of Rome (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it) we were told that by a local and if the road is closed due to an accident your stuck. However that said if your stuck so is everyone else ;). By Guarantee I assume if they are late which I very much doubt they would be they would transfer you to the next port of call and pay for it.

Personally Id risk it I cant imagine with 2 and half hour between leaving Rome and getting back to the ship there would be too much of a problem even if there was bad traffic. I mean you could go on the train and it could break down, be cancelled etc. So neither way is guaranteed but what I would say is the trains in Italy are much more reliable than here and if they going to cancel it or theirs going to be a strike you usually know well in advance except if its something that can't be foreseen before hand.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Bus from Civi to Rome

Postby issyalex » 15 Apr 2018 14:09

I should have got back earlier with an update to this tour.

We eventually found the pick up point at the port. Finding the bus was a bit haphazard and fraught (Alex!) but just under an hour after pick up time we were off! :clap:

We arrived safely in Rome and left on time. We had plenty of time to walk about.

Would I book this company again? :think: NO as it was too stressful trying to get on a bus just leave the port and if your travelling with my hubby treble the normal stress levels. :lol:
issyalex
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Scotland

Return to Mediterranean