Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - DIY Fiat 500 trip in Cagliari

DIY Fiat 500 trip in Cagliari

Postby Carwalsick » 17 May 2017 10:12

Our first visit to Sardinia and, as usual, trying to avoid organised ship's tours I spent a bit of time researching and booked a tour of Cagliari in a vintage 1972 Fiat 500. Francesco met us at the dock gates and was great and knowledgeable company for the next couple of hours. The car is his passion and has been in his family since new when his grandmother bought it. It goes places other taxis can't get particularly in the narrow streets. The back seat passenger needs to be a bit of a contortionist and, if like me rather tall, the sunroof is a bonus. Price was about the same as a ship's tour but talk about personal service. If booked through the Get Your Guide agency there is a full refund if cancelled 24 hours in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
December 2017 Saga Sapphire Christmas in Scandinavia
June 2018 Saga Sapphire Adventure to The North Cape
September 2018 Saga Sapphire Nova Scotia and St Lawrence in the Fall
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
Carwalsick
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 17 May 2017 10:56

Many thanks for posting the information about your unique private excursion in the white Fiat 500 car, it is something that I would love to do if we revisit Cagliari again in the future. :thumbup:

I have some great memories of white Fiat 500s, they seem to keep cropping up in my life. Between 1968 and 1974 we lived in Kitwe, Zambia and I was doing shift work in the control room of a power distribution company. We used to hand over shift to a team led by a colleague name Reg who drove a white Fiat 500 and was a great prankster. If he had given us a particular hard time at shift handover we would stop at the company garages where his Fiat was parked and we would turn his car through 90 degrees (it was so small that it would just fit sideways in the garage. I should add that he used to do far worse to us!

In the late 1970s, having returned to the UK, my wife Chris had a white Fiat 500 and it was great fun to drive - our kids loved it as well.

So I would be very happy to travel in a white Fiat 500 around Cagliari, especially with a good and enthusiastic guide. Many thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 17 May 2017 10:57

Thank you for that Carwalsick. Sounds like a good idea - nice photo too. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 17 May 2017 15:49

Thanks for that interesting information Carwalsick. :thumbup:

My wife in particular is a fan of Fiat 500s - she's on her fifth one (a very nice Riva), but of course they've all been the new retro design. We'd both really enjoy doing a trip in an original model. :D
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 18 May 2017 23:04

Sounds like it was a good experience
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby Trace » 19 May 2017 20:19

Lovely photo, and sounds like a great alternative to a ships tour :thumbup:
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: DIY Fiat 500 trip in Cagliari

Postby tomvet » 19 May 2017 20:40

Sounds like a fab thing to do! Must bear it in mind if we ever cruise the Med again now that I have taken to river cruising like a duck to H2O!

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby jocap » 20 May 2017 19:17

What a fun idea! Must remember this... :)
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 24 Jun 2017 09:55

Hmm - must def look into this as we are visiting Cagliari on our next cruise and not booked a ship's excursion as none took my fancy.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral